SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Profanity in front of women and children
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Profanity in front of women and children Login/Join 
posted
I've drove a truck all my life, delivered to every factory in town.
I can swear with the best of them, but never in front of women or kids.
Saw a public display today, I've never been in a fistfight in my life
but came to an inch of belting this guy in the mouth.
There are no manners in this country anymore.
Rant over

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I agree about kids. It's not my responsibility to teach kids new, colorful words. That's for their parents and the internet.

Adults, I try to limit myself with strangers because I don't know where their personal boundaries are. I don't care what's between their legs, but hey, to each his own.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find the young women do a pretty good job of using off color words. Swearing isn't just a province of sailors. Snooping or listening can teach you new words or ways to use old ones. The girls seem to get a bit drunk and then show their fluency.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pushing 40, have about a decade in a factory starting from 18 and have sounded pretty much the same since I was a teenager. Army vet, 40 year factory worker father is responsible for most of it. My sister is as bad or worse than I am.
I don't go out of my way to offend people, but I also don't feel like it's my responsibility to change how I am because it offends someone else. If you don't want your kids to sound like me, that's your job as a parent not mine as a complete stranger.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of course kids hear most young, even in the Locker room of a Christian school.

I remember one kid growing up, every 3rd word was a swear word. It seemed like it was his way of acting tough & ‘older’ around other kids.

I’ve never been big into cursing, I just save it for those that don’t know any other language.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I think you'll find the young women do a pretty good job of using off color words. Swearing isn't just a province of sailors. Snooping or listening can teach you new words or ways to use old ones. The girls seem to get a bit drunk and then show their fluency.
My wife has a niece that cusses like a sailor . She could probably make a few of them blush . And does it in front of her four kids constantly . The F bomb is her favorite . It won't be long before she gets a call from one of the schools about her child's language .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I watch my mouth in front of children but I don't feel the need to break my stride mentally, physically, or verbally for a woman.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm an ex-sailor and am poetically fluent in the language of profanity. But I don't have the need to season my everyday language with it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a funny/strange thing but I ma hearing a lot more swearing from women now,for whatever reason. MY daughter and wife went out to dinner the other night and one lady was there with her family and every other word was the "F' bomb. My wife had enough and kindly asked the "woman" to stop, as there were families and many children around her. Of course the class act of a "woman" told my wife to "F" off and not even the management would say something to the woman. It was at a local Sonny's restaurant. Some people have no off switch.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people have no off switch.
Sonny's has no class.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Feel free to use me as a example of warning for the raising of your children.

However, the language is certainly not the worst things kids are learning.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
As a gal, I always appreciate others who temper their language in front of me and my child.

For me, it really depends on the environment we are in. Never in front of my kid. But, if we are all (adults) relaxing with a beverage, I have no issue with well chosen words if they are well chosen.

I will say, I never forget a man who watches his language in front of women and children.
Similarly, I don’t forget a guy who doesn’t, and am cautious/conscientious of the time I spend around him. Same with women. This certainly may change as I continue to age, but a gentleman is a gentleman, and they are definitively becoming increasingly rare.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Profanity in front of children- there's no doubt it should be avoided entirely. Women, however, are adults and I would say that it all depends on if I know them or not and can then make a determination from there. Hell, some women I've known are more salty than most men I've known.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandmother that passed away in 1985 at the age of 63 cussed more than some sailors I've known.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

a gentleman is a gentleman, and they are definitively becoming increasingly rare.

My thoughts exactly.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

a gentleman is a gentleman, and they are definitively becoming increasingly rare.

My thoughts exactly.

I’ve got a husband who was a sailor and a father who ran an auto parts store. Neither swears much at all in front of me, but, by God, I know how to swear.
I don’t until/unless I understand the company I’m in, and if I’m in a mood.
I’m trying my best to raise my son to be a gentleman, and the guys here were kind enough to have suggested a book or two when one of my last known gentleman friends died. I was devastated. He was the kind that held the door for his wife, treated her like a fine jewel, and was just as generous with every other lady he met. He could hardly bring himself to say a bad word word about anyone. Another Navy vet. In my town, it seems, there are very few examples of genuine gentlemen to choose from. And kids these days, well, it seems like they’d laugh my boy out to the sidewalk for being kind. It’s a tough world.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to swear around children.
Swearing around women, very, very rare, almost never. I try to keep my peace and work on vocabulary. Now when I’m alone and in a mood, I swear and cuss everything…might be a hammer or lawnmower…odd that I have to do that while alone. It’s scorched earth around things.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

I am writing this one down.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree you shouldn't swear in front of kids, but there are exceptions. I was in the bar portion of a restaurant and let an f-bomb slip. A Karen tried to take me to task. I told her if she didn't want her precious darling to hear it, she shouldn't take him to bars for lunch. There was plenty of seating in the regular dining area.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post