SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why do companies still use USPS to ship?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do companies still use USPS to ship? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Who do you guys think carries the mail for the USPS?

Hint: it isn't USPS. A lot of it is carried by FedEx.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently shipped a big box to the UK by USPS and it took 13 weeks, according to the tracking it did a vacation in Denmark.

I get shipments everyday at work and UPS arrives in two days and FedEx 3-4 days, both shipped from the same warehouse.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I ship and receive packages quite a bit, and believe it or not USPS by far has the best track record in my experience.

UPS used to be the best with reliability but in the recent years the rate of delays and losses have increased dramatically that I no longer rank they above USPS especially with pricing taken into consideration.

FedEx Ground is by far the worst.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
I ship and receive packages quite a bit, and believe it or not USPS by far has the best track record in my experience.

UPS used to be the best with reliability but in the recent years the rate of delays and losses have increased dramatically that I no longer rank they above USPS especially with pricing taken into consideration.

FedEx Ground is by far the worst.

almost the exact here,

UPS, helps to have a great drive, which I fortunately have in this area,
however on his day(s) off, things can get squirrely,

Fed Ex express is maybe a few steps above ground, but not a good as UPS,

Fed Ex Ground is absolutely horrible

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USPS now wants to insitute a holiday surcharge for Oct - Dec.

https://www.govexec.com/manage...t-price-hike/184461/

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Tuesday August 10, shipped a package via USPS to Peoria Illinois. Expected delivery today, August 14. It was actually delivered on Thursday August 12. I am totally shocked.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Tuesday August 10, shipped a package via USPS to Peoria Illinois. Expected delivery today, August 14. It was actually delivered on Thursday August 12. I am totally shocked.

My experience as well. I ordered something August 9th and USPS delivered it here on the 11th when it wasn’t expected until the 14th.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
FedEx is by far the worst around here. The package left Redmont,WA Aug 3 and left at the front door today at 1:50 PM.

Didn't say what street or number. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I get that many folks hate them, and for good reason! Now let me break the trend of USPS bashing and offer a positive story that just happened...

A fellow forum member purchased a combo foregrip, weapon light, laser that I had posted here for sale. I live in north Alabama, and he lives is Houston, TX. Once his check cleared, I boxed it up and took it to the local PO (this was Friday afternoon of this past week). I used click-n-ship to pay postage and create a label, so all I had to do was drop it off. I also added free text updates so I could keep track of it. Around 2PM the next day (Saturday), I get a text that the package had been delivered on his front porch!

A mere 24 hours from north Alabama to Houston, and to his house... and I used the cheapest shipping option! He e-mailed me shortly after that to confirm it had arrived. To say I was both shocked and pleased would be an understatement!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4543 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

USPS now wants to insitute [[I]sic[I]] a holiday surcharge for Oct - Dec.
That holiday period is great for my business. I would welcome the increased activity level at any time.

But it seems that the idiots at the post office want to punish customers for generating business that leads to income.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back my 365 slide I had milled from Maple Leaf. They sent it USPS with signature required. Guess what... it was tossed right in my mailbox with a big old yellow sticker stating signature required. I checked the online tracking and it showed I had signed for it. Which is crazy as I was at work.

I opted for the $500 insurance and was half tempted to file a claim saying it was never received. I would love to their explanation. Im also curious about a class action lawsuit as they are charging money for additional services but not providing them.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I just got back my 365 slide I had milled from Maple Leaf. They sent it USPS with signature required. Guess what... it was tossed right in my mailbox with a big old yellow sticker stating signature required. I checked the online tracking and it showed I had signed for it. Which is crazy as I was at work.

Not just USPS. FedEx did that to me twice, left 2 handguns on my doorstep on 2 different occasions, and BOTH times I was home all day waiting for it.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:

I opted for the $500 insurance and was half tempted to file a claim saying it was never received. I would love to their explanation. Im also curious about a class action lawsuit as they are charging money for additional services but not providing them.

If it were me, I'd delete your post and file a claim! Just to teach them a lesson if nothing else; no loss to you.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4543 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I never thought I'd say this, but they're better than FedEx in my area at this point.

Same here.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Last week, I came home to find 20 bundles of the medium size Priority Mail boxes setting on my front porch. Each bundle contains 25 boxes for a total of 500 boxes. Big Grin

Looks like someone got into my account. Mad The delivery truck even drove over the curb and across the front yard so they would not have to carry the bundles so far.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here lately my mailman only shows up when it suits him. Good gig if you can get it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:

Not just USPS. FedEx did that to me twice, left 2 handguns on my doorstep on 2 different occasions, and BOTH times I was home all day waiting for it.

During covid every carrier has quasi-signatures. FedEx and ups always at least knocked on the door waited for someone to answer then left… usps left stuff in mailbox, at doorstep, wherever and never even rang the bell. Always seemed to work out fine for me, but we were running our Ffl out of the house at the time so often guns and expensive parts left at the door… always wondered the same thing if I was a piece of shit and decided to file a false claim how that would go… even if I didn’t pay for insurance if whoever shipped it paid for a signature and they chose not to get one who’s liable?

Unfortunately I’m a decent human and never did that so I guess I’ll never know

It always kinda irritated me because we use the post office to ship a lot of stuff. And it’s $2.50-$3 something like that for a signature…. If their policy was we don’t get signatures that’s ok, but to continue offering the service and taking the $2-3 per package for it is wrong

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I receive quite a few packages. Fed Ex is probably the best, though most of their deliveries to us are from Chewy.com and, it would seem after a month or so of Chewy deliveries every week, it'd be hard to mess it up.

UPS is pretty good, though they've messed up a few times. Not recently, though.

USPS-I don't like it that they leave our packages outside the front porch door while all other carriers open the door and shovel them inside.

Otherwise, I had no complaints till I bought a small knife from a guy in New York who sent it immediately via First Class with a tracking number.

We, the Seller and I, watched as the knife visited Albany, Orlando, and Ybor City (just across the Bay and always the last stop before my small Florida city) in two days. Gonna get it tomorrow, I thought. Not bad for First
Class. HA!

The knife then headed north and west to
Houston, HOUSTON? Yeah, that Houston!

Then it fiddled around Texas a day or so, back to Orlando, Ybor City and, finally, to me.

USPS is no longer on my Christmas Card list.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, now I'm convinced USPS is peopled by a lot of idiots.

Not only did my knife go to Houston, but now my early Roy Rogers movies have been floating around Florida for a couple days.

First supposed to get here yesterday, then, when that didn't happen, scheduled to arrive today.

Did they? Are you kidding? Of course not.

They got to Clearwater, finally, at 11 AM and they are still there. Clearwater is only a bit north of my house, like a couple-three miles or so. Tracking claimed they'd get here by 8PM. HA! It's almost 10:30 now.

We like old 30s and 40s westerns and the early Roy Rogers movies were mostly pretty good, certainly better than the 50s Roy Rogers TV shows I grew up with. And we love Trigger.

Guess they may get here tomorrow...or not.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched a package I was tracking with a mission critical washing machine part in it last week "depart" the same USPS facility in OK about 6 times over three days. There was no way it was ever going to make it to me by my drop dead date to fix the washer of last Saturday.

Then, miracle of miracles, my part delivered on time. No idea what was up with the USPS tracking, but it was WAY off.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post