SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are your shoes "gender specific"?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are your shoes "gender specific"? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Never seen this before, until yesterday, when I received my new pair of ASICS Gel Nimbus 24. I've been runnning in these shoes since they were numbered 12. Never marked "Gender Specific" until this latest edition. The shoes themselves have always been top notch, but this gender shit is just stupid. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
All of my shoes are "men's shoes."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Male and female feet are different in shape. Of course I buy men’s shoes.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, I just wear steel toes everyday.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the womens running shoes were pink.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What? Am I a biologist?
All I know is I have a 50% chance of getting them on the right feet!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t say which gender it is specific for.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They have fluid soles...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear men's shoes. They're built to have enough room for the balls of my feet.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
That's just the insoles. They get thrown in the trash anyway. Factory insoles in running shoes are junk, so they get replaced with good ones that actually do their job.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
It must be a nightmare to design, stock, and sell product for 100 different genders.

Or does "gender specific" refer to what the shoe/sole identifies as?

(Ok, now you're just being silly. Or am I?)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Yes they are, and I want them to be gender specific.

Lasts can be gender specific, which creates a gender specific shoe. If you do not happen to know what a last is, it is the form and shape around which the shoe is made.

The average woman's foot will vary in many places vs. the average man's foot. First women's heels tend to be more narrow. Both if you look at the heel from the back / achilles area. And if you look at it from the bottom of the foot. Women's insteps (the top of the foot where the laces are on a shoe) tend to rise to a greater degree / angel than men's feet. And there are other differences also.

Some companies will use a gender specific last for every single shoe they sell. However, lasts are very expensive, so very few do this. Others will use gender specific on the more popular models. And some of the big names will not use a gender specific last at all. Which generally means a poorer fit for the average woman because the unisex last will be a men's last.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
It must be a nightmare to design, stock, and sell product for 100 different genders.

LMAO. Come on dude, can’t you feel for the dress makers? These are the folks really having to put in extra work to make dresses to accommodate for a penis and testicles. I hear the fashion dress companies are offering top dollar to that actor in Silence of the Lambs.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why would this irritate you? They are saying the shoes are made for men's feet, which, I guess, are different than women's feet for some reason.

It is good that they don't make a generic shoe, although if they did, I am guessing it would be for men's feet, and may not be a problem for the OP.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Clothing, shoes, sleeping bags, backpacks, have come in gender specific designs for quite some time now.

Am I misinterpreting the irritation? Are you irritated that they are not marked "men's" and instead are just being neutral about it and saying "gender specific"?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
That must complicate production and packaging, seeing there are something like 47 or so genders these days. Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Clothing, shoes, sleeping bags, backpacks, have come in gender specific designs for quite some time now.

Am I misinterpreting the irritation? Are you irritated that they are not marked "men's" and instead are just being neutral about it and saying "gender specific"?

I'm betting thats the gist of the issue, on their web page it says mens shoes, inside the shoe, Gender Specific.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Maybe that is the problem, although, if that is it, it strikes me as going out of your way to be offended.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Could this be about how the shoes identify? Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. I run in Brooks Men's Dyad. They also make a women's Dyad. I always thought that was normal.

Or am I about to be beaten because I have confused sex with gender...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post