SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Elderly people in denial
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elderly people in denial Login/Join 
posted
Maybe they never ever seem to be a dumb ass, for as long as you've known them

But just wait, once they hit 75 or so.

They will just challenge their mental,physical ,emotional and cognitive abilities to prove everyone around them wrong.
THEN

Then the big bad wolf that is age blows down their dilapidated castle.
It got old four years ago,

Giving up independence will be a bitch ,when I get there but I won't have anyone to coddle ,care for or pamper me.
I am not going to be "that" old fossil.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old people mentally regress to infants. Just the way life is. I hope to remember this in a few years as I age out

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old people mentally regress to infants. Just the way life is. I hope to remember this in a few years as I age out

^^^^^^^^^
I guess you are referring to Dementia. Your analogy is incorrect. If it were that easy you would put them all in cribs and give them a bottle. A lot more complex. Frontal temporal dementia is a good example.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so far, so good!! i'm 76, back to driving local va volunteer van 2 days a week, the other 5 days spent at the gym!!

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This b.s. about not needing a cane ,walking stick, a walker or hand rails.

And if you point out the advantages they get belligerent or start pouting.
Man the fuck up!

Your inner ear is all but gone, you walk with your arms out like you are going to start flying.

You don't need help but you want me around to do stuff.

I don't mind helping you at all but work with me the least little bit.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I AM NOT IN DENIAL!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I AM NOT IN DENIAL!

I thought De Nial was a river in Africa.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I AM NOT IN DENIAL!
I thought De Nial was a river in Africa.
Wait . . . Isn't that a trim level on some GM vehicles?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nah, De Nial is that one guy from Raging Bull and Goodfellas.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am experiencing this with my 85 year old mother. Recognizes her inability to do nearly everything. Denies that she needs any help from her son or daughter. It is hard to love some people.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Giving up your independence is hard. Especially if you’re proud, and you’ve managed alone your whole life. Show some grace to those folks. It’s really hard to come to terms with.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
This b.s. about not needing a cane ,walking stick, a walker or hand rails.

And if you point out the advantages they get belligerent or start pouting.
Man the fuck up!

Your inner ear is all but gone, you walk with your arms out like you are going to start flying.

You don't need help but you want me around to do stuff.

I don't mind helping you at all but work with me the least little bit.

Our mom does not have dementia, but she is in total denial as to both hearing issues (my hearing loss tested normal for someone my age - yeah, that is two phones in a row that “don’t work” but no mention of any recommendation for hearing aids…) The worst part is her total wobbliness in getting around. Won’t use her cane or a walker. Not if, but when she falls. Just had an evaluation for for physical therapy annd she scored “fall risk” , but nope, everything is find and she is “strong.” I’m waiting to hear how she wished she’d used the cane or walker when she is laid up with us having to take care of her.

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Man the fuck up!

I nearly spit food on my keyboard.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Show some grace to those folks. It’s really hard to come to terms with.

This can't be said enough.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Show some grace to those folks. It’s really hard to come to terms with.

Yes. What goes around will (eventually) come around.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 954 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I constantly hear my very upset father say "I don't understand what's going on, this isn't like me. I don't know who to go see about it."

Uh... um... er... what do you say to that?

He'll be 90 in March, still working a full time manual labor job, and still doing the occasional job for old customers of what's left of his business. He held it off a LOT longer than most, but it's hit him fast and hard, emotionally. Probably worse than most people BECAUSE he's been able to be active so long, his age is hitting him all at once.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I am experiencing this with my 85 year old mother. Recognizes her inability to do nearly everything. Denies that she needs any help from her son or daughter. It is hard to love some people.

I live with an 84-year-old who is suffering. I would suggest that ONLY love will work.

I learn this lesson every day.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Sixty four currently. I hope tohave my purple belt in jujitsu by the time I'm 65 and God willing if I live that long, someday my brown belt.

My mom was internet dating at 85.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My mom is 85. My dad died a couple of years ago, so now she has to handle car repairs, getting the plumber out, etc. My mom is very type A, and generally capable, but every phone call with her is a recitation of "I had to have the air conditioner man out," "I had to find a new guy to mow," and "the bank screwed up my transfer." This is also accompanied by complaints about how hard all that is. It is surprising how hard she finds all this and how put upon she acts about having to do it.

I get it. Dad is gone. She misses him. He did all that stuff.

But I'd like to have one conversation about something other than how difficult basic adulting is.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I constantly hear my very upset father say "I don't understand what's going on, this isn't like me. I don't know who to go see about it."

Uh... um... er... what do you say to that?

He'll be 90 in March, still working a full time manual labor job, and still doing the occasional job for old customers of what's left of his business. He held it off a LOT longer than most, but it's hit him fast and hard, emotionally. Probably worse than most people BECAUSE he's been able to be active so long, his age is hitting him all at once.

Yup. Hit my dad a couple years ago, and he’s furious about it. Can’t do it himself, doesn’t want to ask anyone but maybe 2 people to help, and both those guys are up there in age, too. And I can see myself being exactly the same way because I try hard not to count on anyone and I guess really that’s what we should all be doing- so it’s not such a hard thing to unbend and ask for help.
It can be freaking devastating to that individual. And that’s with the mind pretty much intact.

Somebody posted something on here once- I think it was his wife who might’ve worked in a dementia unit- about meeting people where they are at mentally on that day. These folks we are talking about here who are completely aware of their infirmities and are incredibly frustrated by them might need this same sort of thought process.
It sucks on both sides of the coin.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post