SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stopping when the car ahead of you stops at a stop sign, doesn't count as YOU stopping at the stop sign.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stopping when the car ahead of you stops at a stop sign, doesn't count as YOU stopping at the stop sign. Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Didn't you know, it's an acronym
Slow To Observe Pedestrians
Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
And, then there's the famous "California Stop".

All the cops I know call it a “Hollywood Stop”

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Some people need to be pulled out of their car and beaten.

I agree. Blow your horn, give them the one finger salute. I'm not ready to
get into a physical altercation with somebody forty years younger than me.
Just let it go. I'm not in that much of a hurry.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My view of it is, if we can't trust you to follow these easy, simple rules that keep us all safe, how can we trust you to follow the important ones?

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My view of it is, if we can't trust you to follow these easy, simple rules that keep us all safe, how can we trust you to follow the important ones?

I know your point of view, I used to get angry. Drove a semi all my life, people cut me off every day.
Had a dashcam, I could have plowed people off the road many times and it wouldn't have been my fault.
I finally learned to relax and just let it go. Cool

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've actually been contemplating something similar recently.

Hypothetical:
4 way stop, only 2 cars at the intersection, both in the same lane in the same direction of travel.

Car #1 pulls over the stop 'line' and car #2 stops at the stop sign.

Obviously both can't depart at the same time, but has car #2 fulfilled their duty to stop & only needs to pause to allow right of way to the other 3 directions?
Or would you be required some forward motion & a 2nd stop to fulfill your stop duty?

Under the Law car #1 has run the stop sign. Car #2 has properly made the stop correctly and may proceed.

BTW, learned this lesson in Ohio during a crackdown on taxicab's. Those big white stripes we see at intersections are lines that define the boundaries of an intersection. At a traffic light controlled intersection roll over that white line at any time when the traffic light is red and you have just entered the intersection, which means you have just run a red light. The ONLY exception for this is if you are making a legal right (or Left) turn on red and you MUST make your required stop prior to that turn before that bit white line. In addition if you are over that white line after entering the intersection legally when the traffic light changes you are supposed to proceed thru the intersection and actually have the right of way over any cross traffic. Yeah, I drove a Taxi in College, a big yellow Checker just like those seen on the TV show. Also learned a lot more about intersections than I was looking for when I complained in Court about it being a really pissy citation.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post