SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stopping when the car ahead of you stops at a stop sign, doesn't count as YOU stopping at the stop sign.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stopping when the car ahead of you stops at a stop sign, doesn't count as YOU stopping at the stop sign. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I was almost in an accident this morning. Not terribly close, but closer than it should have been. When I thought about it, the last two or three close calls I've had have all been the same thing (at the same stop sign by my house).

Four way stop sign at the end of my street, where it intersects with one of the main roads through town. A van to my left stops at the stop sign. I stop at my stop sign. Van to my left goes, I start to go. Car behind the van almost plows into me. DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW A F@#KING STOP SIGN WORKS?

This is getting more and more common around me, following the car ahead of them through the stop sign. I assume these are the people who usually run the stop sign and only stopped because they were forced to. Some people need to be pulled out of their car and beaten.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would enjoy it here when the power is out for a couple of weeks. All stoplights are to be treated as four way stops. It is really fun when two four lane highways intersect. At those times you wish you drove a large dump truck.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Based on my observations, the majority of drivers don't have a damn clue what to do at 4-way stops.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've actually been contemplating something similar recently.

Hypothetical:
4 way stop, only 2 cars at the intersection, both in the same lane in the same direction of travel.

Car #1 pulls over the stop 'line' and car #2 stops at the stop sign.

Obviously both can't depart at the same time, but has car #2 fulfilled their duty to stop & only needs to pause to allow right of way to the other 3 directions?
Or would you be required some forward motion & a 2nd stop to fulfill your stop duty?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Around these parts, the person on the right has the right of way. You should have gone vs. the van.

Anywho...stop signs are like yield signs locally. Stop if you need to (if another vehicle or pedestrian is present) otherwise, slow down, take a look, take another look, and proceed.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The legal rule of right of way.... You shall yield to the vehicle on your right. At least in my State.

This flows in a circular motion, and you should not go until the circle has come back to you. Don't go until it is your turn.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Impatience, entitlement. It’s out of hand. People forgot how to drive, act, etc, during and now after the pandemic. I’ve never seen this level of poor driving etiquette in my lifetime. Every time I drive now, I have to react to something to avoid accident.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
One of the intersections on my route has a light that goes from red to flashing red before turning off completely. It only operates whenever a pedestrian is trying to cross the road. I never attempt to cross this street while the light is flashing red because many times drivers don't stop for the flashing red.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's gotten so bad around here that Stop signs are barely a suggestion to drivers.
I can't tell you how many people I've seen not even slow down for them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the advert for Farmers’ Insurance needs to be applied here. Wink

https://youtu.be/wFiPl96pCus

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Some state's laws allow for more than 1 car to proceed ...

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I always thought person to the right has the right of way when both vehicles stop at the same time. I thought the overriding rule was the vehicle that stops first, goes first. Naturally, this is an issue when the vehicle on the right doesn’t actually stop but rather just keeps rolling.

Another issue, that can make it appear that two cars are going at the same time is when the first vehicle stops in the intersection while the second vehicle behind the first stops properly before the white line. Just because the driver of the first vehicle did it wrong, doesn’t mean the driver of the second vehicle gives up his place in the order of things.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
But if the van stopped far enough in the intersection that the car was at the stop sign line, all bets are off.

In this stupid city at least....

Oh, I see trapper said the same. Well, that's just nuts if anyone actually believes that's a legit ordering.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, then there's the famous "California Stop".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of a particular intersection I use 6 days a week 2 to 3 times a day. There's a railroad track that cuts across the intersection and one of the stop signs is set aways back from the track. The problem is people skip the line and stop at the tracks instead. The vehicle in front of me, stopped at the tracks will go. I'm stopped at the line where I'm supposed to be stopped and vehicle to the left is slowing down to stop. I believe I have the right of way over the car to the left not only because I stopped first, but also because I'm the vehicle to it's right. I could be wrong on this and it definitely looks like 2 vehicles are going at the same time.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
One of the intersections on my route has a light that goes from red to flashing red before turning off completely. It only operates whenever a pedestrian is trying to cross the road. I never attempt to cross this street while the light is flashing red because many times drivers don't stop for the flashing red.
From the Virginia driver's manual - Flashing red light: At a flashing red light, come to a complete stop and yield to oncoming vehicles and pedestrians. You may go when the way is clear. At a railroad crossing, you must come to a complete stop even if you don’t see a train.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Around these parts, the person on the right has the right of way.
I believe that's actually an international "standard."

But...

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You should have gone vs. the van.
That's only if both vehicles arrived at the intersection at the same time. Otherwise: First come, first serve.

quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
Some state's laws allow for more than 1 car to proceed ...
I believe that's true. (I don't recall for which state(s).)

But I think it only applies if there's no cross traffic? Not certain of that, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
John Prine: The Accident (Things Could Be Worse)

Last night I saw an accident
On the corner of Third and Green
Two cars collided and I got excited
Just being part of that scene

It was Mrs. Tom Walker and her beautiful daughter
Pamela was driving the car
They got hit by a man in a light blue sedan
Who had obviously been to a bar

They don't know how lucky they are
They could have run into that tree
Got struck by a bolt of lightning
And raped by a minority

It was a four-way stop dilemma
We all arrived the same time
I yielded to the man to the right of me
And he yielded it right back to mine

Well, the yield went around and around and around
Till Pamela finally tried
Just then the man in the light blue sedan
Hit Pamela's passenger side

They don't know how lucky they are
And raped by a minority

Pamela hit her head on the mirror
Mrs. Walker got a bump on the knee
The man hit himself in the face and said
"Why does this happen to me?"

Then the neighbors came out and they gathered about
Saying, "Hey, who hit who anyway?"
And the police arrived at a quarter to five
And pronounced all the victims okay

But they don't know how lucky they are
And raped by a minority

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car #1 pulls over the stop 'line' and car #2 stops at the stop sign.

Obviously both can't depart at the same time, but has car #2 fulfilled their duty to stop & only needs to pause to allow right of way to the other 3 directions?

In TN the law allows the second car to proceed without pulling forward. Of course only if no other auto is stopped at the other three directions. I saw this many years ago & have not heard that the law was changed. In fact a client of mine was ticketed for passing on a yellow line about 25 years ago & won his case in court as TN had no law prohibiting passing on a yellow line. I understand that the legislature soon passed a correction.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
STOP signs usually are interpreted as ROLL signs here.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post