SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ball cap makers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball cap makers Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Why in God's name do they still use those danged buckles in the back?

They can't be cheaper than velcro closures, they can't be easier to sew, and you can't adjust them without a degree in mechanical engineering and a half hour to get it the right size.

Use velcro dammit!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Fitted hats are a thing...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use velcro dammit!

Real Velcro, not just the cheapest hook-and-loop material you can get your hands on.

I've never liked fitted hats, and the issue I have with the metal clasps is that they use what appears to be pot metal. Inevitably it breaks and I have to resort to creativity with zip ties if I want to keep the hat.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
And while we're on about hats, LOSE THE DAMNED BUTTON ON TOP!

I have a permanent dent in the middle of my (enormous) bald spot from wearing muffs over a ball cap, which mashes the button into yer skull.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes to the Velcro!

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Not when you have a giant gourd like some of us. The few fitted hats I have tried that actually will make it down onto my head are squeezing by head so tightly I can see a headache coming on in minutes.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Yes to the Velcro!

quote:

Not when you have a giant gourd like some of us. The few fitted hats I have tried that actually will make it down onto my head are squeezing by head so tightly I can see a headache coming on in minutes.

This. Fitted hats are a joke. One size fits all? Yeah right.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Why in God's name do they still use those danged buckles in the back?
You mean like one of these?

Ball caps with those are the only ones I'll buy. In fact: You can't give me a ball cap with any other.

quote:
Use velcro dammit!
Velcro is my 2nd least favorite after those plastic snap adjusters.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

And while we're on about hats, LOSE THE DAMNED BUTTON ON TOP!

I have a permanent dent in the middle of my (enormous) bald spot from wearing muffs over a ball cap, which mashes the button into yer skull.
I have a few button-less caps. Aviation supply places sell them. Much more comfortable when wearing a headset.

Here's one: https://www.aircraftspruce.com...at.php?clickkey=9592

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with notch hats as far as fitted hats. They are sized based on Measurements of your head. And there’s no button on top. The downside so far is that neither notch option works well with my brand of sunglasses. They are available without a notch as well.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Them's the ones. Hate 'em.

I agree with you on the plastic jobbers.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Them's the ones. Hate 'em.
Thing is: IME, those are the adjustment types the better-quality ball caps have. The caps with Velcro, and particularly the plastic nub things, are usually of a lesser quality.

Besides: I don't know about you, but my head size doesn't change much Smile. Get cap. Adjust. Done.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The problem I have with the metal clasp type adjustment is whacking myself with it as I flop the cap over my noggin.

Velcro (good velcro...) is my preferred method. The plastic hole-and-knob style always has the holes spaced just right so there are two settings: Too tight and too loose.

Another First World problem with ballcaps is the plastic reinforced pre-curved bills. Yup, they look snazzy (I don't care for the hipster flat bill look) and hold their shape, but they're curved a little too tight for me. I'm a fathead and they tend to leave furrows in my temples.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind the metal buckles until the rivet that holds the buckle onto the cloth of the hat rips out. Velcro is better for me.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
+1 for what ensigmatic said Smile

I prefer those buckles over velcro and plastic.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For me, with a size 8 melon, any cap that fits is fine with me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They are one size fits small.

A size 8 would be nice.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a rarity. USA Made Filson ball cap. 20 years old and still going strong. Those days are over! Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
my metal clasp adjusters seem to develop a oxidation crud something like metal snaps on leather holsters/etc. ...... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

Fitted hats are a joke. One size fits all? Yeah right.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
They are one size fits small.

A size 8 would be nice.

I'm so confused right now. I've got a fitted hat that is size 8 and it wasn't even the largest size available at the store.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Uh... I have a giant head, and fitted hats are the only ones that fit me, as long as I buy the correct size. Depending on the manufacturer, I wear either an 8 3/8 or 8 1/2 in fitted hats.

So it just sounds to me like you're just ordering the wrong size of fitted hats... They're sized in eights, so go up an eighth. Or two. Or three.

For example, if you try a size 7 1/2 fitted cap and it's too small and squeezing your head, try a 7 5/8 or 7 3/4.

quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
This. Fitted hats are a joke. One size fits all? Yeah right.

I think you're a bit confused... A "one size fits all" hat is exactly the opposite of a "fitted" hat.

"Fitted" = sized for one exact head size. You buy the size that is right for your head. They are not adjustable, nor are they intended to accommodate a range of head sizes.

(Just like "Size 36" shorts or a "Size XL" shirt.)

There's not a single "one size fits all" ballcap with velcro/snap/buckle closure that fits my bigass head. These adjustable caps are usually sized for like size 6 1/2 through 7 3/4, which is the range within which the average head lands.

But they offer fitted hats well above size 7 3/4.

quote:
I'm so confused right now. I've got a fitted hat that is size 8 and it wasn't even the largest size available at the store.

Me too... I've seen fitted ballcaps up to like Size 9. So with even my bigass head being (only) an 8 1/2, hat makers can clearly accommodate folks with heads even bigger.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post