SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Word of the day: extractivism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day: extractivism Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Extractivism

"Extractivism is the process of extracting natural resources from the Earth to sell on the world market..."

Of course it's a pejorative and necessary because we suck. Know that anyone using it is to be ignored or ridiculed.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8306 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's the etymology? I'll wager this is a new term, made up by people who don't know how to use the extensive, sophisticated languange toolkit they have at hand.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia, the only source brought up in a quick search...
quote:
Regardless of its range of application, the concept of extractivism may be essentially conceived as "a particular way of thinking and the properties and practices organized towards the goal of maximizing benefit through extraction, which brings in its wake violence and destruction"

Roll Eyes I am at a loss for words.

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So,
Nothing to do with impregnation abatement then?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54485 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I thought it was an overactive activist.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I think my CUT is an example of extractivism

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23086 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Most of us here will likely be dead in the next twenty years. At that time these simpletons will be in charge and get all the virtue-signalling, pie-in-the-sky shit they can dream of. I'd only like to be around to see the "utopia" they've created when they're cold, hungry, broke, & immobile due to their short-sighted, feel-good bullshit.

They'll get what they played for, but it won't be what they'd envisioned.

The schadenfreude would be delicious to witness if it weren't such a shit show for everyone else. Thankfully, I'll likely be gone.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Most of us here will likely be dead in the next twenty years. At that time these simpletons will be in charge and get all the virtue-signalling, pie-in-the-sky shit they can dream of. I'd only like to be around to see the "utopia" they've created when they're cold, hungry, broke, & immobile due to their short-sighted, feel-good bullshit.

They'll get what they played for, but it won't be what they'd envisioned.

The schadenfreude would be delicious to witness if it weren't such a shit show for everyone else. Thankfully, I'll likely be gone.

I'm going to start taking care of myself so I can be here to laugh and point at these intentional retards as they collapse the very world they thought would collapse if they didn't "work for change".
Die laughing I always say.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as they aren't exploiting opportunities or anything like that, it's probably okay.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
a particular way of thinking and the properties and practices organized towards the goal of maximizing benefit

Back in the day, we called that 'good business practices' and left it at that. Wink

Posts: 14996 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post