SIGforum
Word of the day: extractivism

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4940011694

November 08, 2022, 03:00 PM
Ripley
Word of the day: extractivism
Extractivism

"Extractivism is the process of extracting natural resources from the Earth to sell on the world market..."

Of course it's a pejorative and necessary because we suck. Know that anyone using it is to be ignored or ridiculed.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
November 08, 2022, 03:45 PM
parabellum
What's the etymology? I'll wager this is a new term, made up by people who don't know how to use the extensive, sophisticated languange toolkit they have at hand.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
November 08, 2022, 04:35 PM
Patrick-SP2022
From Wikipedia, the only source brought up in a quick search...
quote:
Regardless of its range of application, the concept of extractivism may be essentially conceived as "a particular way of thinking and the properties and practices organized towards the goal of maximizing benefit through extraction, which brings in its wake violence and destruction"

Roll Eyes I am at a loss for words.

November 08, 2022, 05:33 PM
bendable
So,
Nothing to do with impregnation abatement then?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
November 08, 2022, 07:05 PM
egregore

November 09, 2022, 07:34 PM
Fredward
Wow. I thought it was an overactive activist.
November 09, 2022, 08:01 PM
tatortodd
I think my CUT is an example of extractivism

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
November 10, 2022, 09:15 AM
vinnybass
Most of us here will likely be dead in the next twenty years. At that time these simpletons will be in charge and get all the virtue-signalling, pie-in-the-sky shit they can dream of. I'd only like to be around to see the "utopia" they've created when they're cold, hungry, broke, & immobile due to their short-sighted, feel-good bullshit.

They'll get what they played for, but it won't be what they'd envisioned.

The schadenfreude would be delicious to witness if it weren't such a shit show for everyone else. Thankfully, I'll likely be gone.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
November 19, 2022, 06:07 PM
wishfull thinker
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Most of us here will likely be dead in the next twenty years. At that time these simpletons will be in charge and get all the virtue-signalling, pie-in-the-sky shit they can dream of. I'd only like to be around to see the "utopia" they've created when they're cold, hungry, broke, & immobile due to their short-sighted, feel-good bullshit.

They'll get what they played for, but it won't be what they'd envisioned.

The schadenfreude would be delicious to witness if it weren't such a shit show for everyone else. Thankfully, I'll likely be gone.

I'm going to start taking care of myself so I can be here to laugh and point at these intentional retards as they collapse the very world they thought would collapse if they didn't "work for change".
Die laughing I always say.

November 21, 2022, 09:46 PM
LoboGunLeather
Well, as long as they aren't exploiting opportunities or anything like that, it's probably okay.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders
November 24, 2022, 08:00 AM
joel9507
quote:
a particular way of thinking and the properties and practices organized towards the goal of maximizing benefit

Back in the day, we called that 'good business practices' and left it at that. Wink