SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tire kickers who don't read the terms of sale, lost out on a buy, then threw a hissy fit and started name calling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire kickers who don't read the terms of sale, lost out on a buy, then threw a hissy fit and started name calling Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Sold some items on another board. Yeah I know, that was a mistake, but I digress. Most of you probably know, that when I sell, the first item in my Terms Of Sale has always been crystal clear: 1- First "I'll take it/them" that must be posted in the ad, with a follow-up PM to me, wins. Everything else takes a back seat. No exceptions.. Or so I thought. This guy made an offer in the ad. Later on, another person posted that he'll take them, if still available. When I checked my ad, I saw them posts at the same time. So, guess who got the item? Yeah, the 2nd guy, and I posted in the ad to him, "All yours".

But, that was not the end of it. First guy wouldn't let go and started whining in PM, "I would have agreed to the asking price, if you had messaged me back. I was checking to see if the price was firm." Meaningless bullshit. So, I pointed out to him my terms. Still wouldn't let go, no matter my repeated attempts to get through to him. His feeling was hurt because I did not address him directly. Goddamn, the item is sold to someone else, while you tried to play the feeler game to see if you can get it cheaper and lost out. It's sold. What else is there to address? Went on and called me "self-important", "smug", "condescending" and lectured me on etiquette. LOL.

Even had the nerve to say I wasted his time, when this is the guy who have asked me questions a million times (yeah yeah, exaggeration), and I always gladly helped out when I had time, day or night. Roll Eyes

Maybe in the future I should clarify even further in my Terms: The ad has no OBO, so don't bother me with your offer, because I will not reply. That should cut out this kind of shit. Big Grin Goddamn, I swear, some people.

Q

Posts: 26190 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're a far more patient man than I am...unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he learned anything. It's a shame when "gun people" behave poorly, although MOST I have dealt with seem to be really good people.

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna slowly back away as I did not post in the ad either.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is too short, Don't lose any sleep over it.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Happened to me selling magazines. I had new or shot once Glock magazines. Every 9mm Glock makes I had the magazines for sale. Same rules as you, more or less. I posted excellent prices, and said in the ad no haggling, no bullshit. So I’m down to my last 10 or so. This guy I guess has waited for my stock count in the OP to dwindle down thinking he could score at the end and take the last of them. He’s trying to bargain, haggle, and do his thing. I kept saying no, ad is clearly stated what the price is and I don’t care how many you fucking buy at once. Buying a bunch at once just saves you on shipping costs Einstein! So he keeps haggling. Then someone else comes along and says “I’ll take the rest, is $20 shipping ok?” Guy pays like immediately and can’t be bothered about the tracking #, doesn’t care, knows I’m good for it, etc. I’m marking the ad closed, all sold, etc, mid-edit, when this dude emails again. I state all of them are sold, gone, and you should have quit haggling. He gets pissed off and emails me back “I bet you are real proud of yourself” and bitches some more. Might have been the same ma fucking guy man.

People cannot follow instructions. The haggling is bad too. When I post some shit for a damn fair price, don’t make money off the shipping either, as I will show a receipt of the exact shipping amount, well I’m not in the mood. Ad clearly states, no haggling, no bargaining and they will send shit like this “I know the ad says no haggling but would you take X”. I just delete them. Selling shit outside of SigForum is a got damn PITA and I refuse to do it any longer. People get their tally wacker hurt because they can’t follow instructions then proceed to whine, bitch, and insult you. Try hooked on phonics next time mother fucker I hear it works real good! Razz

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
The other kicker imo is your prices are always reasonable and never over the top high so any reasonable person knows that if something is available they better not dick around or it will sell to someone else.

I really hate the few that take the fun out of buying and selling.

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, that PM function has an ignore list. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17239 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

They're the reason I don't sell on boards any more.

Anything I sell gets sold to people I know or I'll warehouse it or give it away.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

They're the reason I don't sell on boards any more.

Anything I sell gets sold to people I know or I'll warehouse it or give it away.

Or don't get worked up about it. I have posted the same thing and said first "I'll take it gets it". I also had someone whine for the same reasons the OP is talking about. I copy and pasted the first "I'll take it gets it". to the person whining and ignored any other correspondence. No sweat off my back I made it clear.

It's no problem offering less than the seller is asking but you are also taking a risk at missing out on the item to another person saying they will take it. No big deal either way to me.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Or don't get worked up about it. I have posted the same thing and said first "I'll take it gets it". I also had someone whine for the same reasons the OP is talking about. I copy and pasted the first "I'll take it gets it". to the person whining and ignored any other correspondence. No sweat off my back I made it clear.

It's no problem offering less than the seller is asking but you are also taking a risk at missing out on the item to another person saying they will take it. No big deal either way to me.

This is a guy who I've helped answer questions many times. That's why it ticked me off that he suddenly turned on me like that. Any other unknowns, I wouldn't even have wasted my time with a single explanation. In the end, I just told him to "have a nice life".

Q

Posts: 26190 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I used to sell in some other hobby forums, years ago.

I had a clause in my sales conditions that I'd quote the entire block of conditions back to the seller. It only took 1 or 2 attempts to see I was serious.

Yes, I'm a bit of an asshole.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Even had the nerve to say I wasted his time, when this is the guy who have asked me questions a million times (yeah yeah, exaggeration), and I always gladly helped out when I had time, day or night.

This is what got me. You wasted his time. WTF.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I sold a lot of excess stuff, non-firearms, locally and the cheap skate offers were ridiculous. It was El Paso, the asshole of Texas that no one wants. I was selling an unused, unopened 10’ pool for $10 and someone asked if I’d take $7. Other gems would be “I can pay cash” like I’m supposed to take credit cards or checks.

Posts: 13041 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I sold a lot of excess stuff, non-firearms, locally and the cheap skate offers were ridiculous. It was El Paso, the asshole of Texas that no one wants. I was selling an unused, unopened 10’ pool for $10 and someone asked if I’d take $7. Other gems would be “I can pay cash” like I’m supposed to take credit cards or checks.

This is the reason I’ve never had a yard sale and never will. A couple times growing up I remember my parents having garage sales and even back then they’d put a lot of brand new $100-200 items that just never got used, or used once and never again for like $5… it never failed somebody would come offer $3….

I’ve never seen Q sell things I thought had unreasonable prices. Sometimes they are out of my budget, but that doesn’t make the price unreasonable..

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Slight, but still related to buying & selling, thread drift follows.

Some sellers make one go WTF? too. A long time ago, my nephew was a young man (he's now 48) entering the work force on a tight budget and needed a car, so I went out with him looking at jalopy cars. One seller had the car he wanted to sell parked behind several other cars that would have had to be moved first, had a thick coating of dust on it, and had a dead battery. One would think they'd want to at least get the thing ready.

Posts: 27810 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
In the past year I have stated the following in my ads:

Price is firm. If you offer me 1 cent less than the asking price, the answer is no. I'm not stating this to be rude, but to avoid wasting your time and mine.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people just don't understand- Until you say "I'll take it and will send payment upon confirmation"= You're still haggling.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks. You are always helpful, generous, and your prices are very fair. It sucks that somebody tried to bust your balls.

Posts: 7336 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I had an ad like the OP's long ago on a local gun forum, it was a P229 in NP3. Got two "I'll take it" replies at the same time with the same time stamp on each. Same for their PMs to me. I felt bad, but felt like the one that showed higher up in the queue was the buyer. I showed the other guy a screenshot of how it appeared on my PM dashboard. He was disappointed, but not mad at me.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Had a few of those on another forum for a rifle I've had posted long enough where I think it's time to pull the ad.

"Your asking price is $3,000 and you said local FTF only. How about $2,750 shipped?"

Told him I was willing to ship, but for my asking price plus the actual shipping price. No reply. I raised the ad price to $3,250.

Another guy emails me and asks if I'm willing to ship to Massachusetts. I ask him if it's legal there, and if so, sure. Turns out it is, but he didn't bother to reply.

Probably list it here later this week.

Posts: 17045 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post