SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did the left lane become the slow lane?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did the left lane become the slow lane? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted
to quote my high school buddies father, the left lane is for breaking the law,

yet it seems, esp on most of the major interstate highways I travel, to be the opposite,

left lane full, all the passing in the center or right lane,

95 is particularly bad, both north and south,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It's everywhere. The "left lane leasees" ruin interstate driving.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20301 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
20 years ago.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
We have some of the worst left lane campers in the Nashville area. People throughout the country drive in an oblivious state of entitled confusion. In addition to not understanding what lane they belong in, they seem most comfortable when riding in another vehicles blind spot. The art of driving defensively is dead.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What's almost worse are people who won't maintain a constant speed.

I just drove from here to Charlotte and back over the weekend. 95 & 85 pretty much the whole way. Speed limit either 65 or 70 (mostly 70).

Once we were south of Richmond, traffic was light, as was expected. I could comfortably set my cruise control at 7-8 mph over the limit and not worry about it.

I can't tell you how many vehicles I'd play leap frog with for dozens of miles at a time. They were mostly in the left lane, I'd cruise past them on the right (leaving plenty of room front and back), they'd speed up, eventually move back in front of me, and then a couple of miles later, slow back down and let the cycle repeat.

Talk about annoying!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

I can't tell you how many vehicles I'd play leap frog with for dozens of miles at a time. They were mostly in the left lane, I'd cruise past them on the right (leaving plenty of room front and back), they'd speed up, eventually move back in front of me, and then a couple of miles later, slow back down and let the cycle repeat.

Talk about annoying!

-Rob

We call that turnpike tag.
And yes it is.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
On I-40, 9/10 times it's the 18 wheelers who camp out on the left lane, then see no reason to move right even after they're done passing at 0.00000012 miles per hour faster than their 18 wheeler counterpart who occupies the right lane beside them. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A trucker told me they ride in the left lane because it is smoother.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are driving thru Ohio and it's a plague.

Cars, trucks, doesn't matter, they get in the left lane and set up camp.
'
The left lane is like the bathroom. You get in, do your business and get out.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I'm unsure about most states, but my home state has giant signs that tell you that slower traffic needs to yield the left lane. Not that laws matter to anyone, of course, especially if you drive for a living.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's really common with people who grew up in the big city. They're used to driving on freeways with 3+ lanes in each direction, and the right lane is for exiting/entering. Even the middle lane has too much entering/exiting for some nervous souls. Others, think they are the speed police and drive the speed limit in the left lane with a big smile on their face (e.g. the speed limit is 65 and to hell with the others driving the speed of traffic at 75).

Once the city dwellers get out of the city into the country they have zero idea that left lane is for passing only, and they also typically have no idea what cruise is so speeds vary wildly. For example, my GF has only lived in Dallas and Houston, and in the country she'll drive in the left lane even though she isn't passing and her speed varies by how much we're talking.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
...she'll drive in the left lane even though she isn't passing and her speed varies by how much we're talking.

Yeah, my daughter and wife both do that. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the passenger seat watching the rear view mirror like:

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
They’re entitled to it. They’re much too special for that slow lane that only losers use.
Stupid will only get worse until it becomes painful.
The police around here do absolutely nothing related to traffic. They sure aren’t going prioritize left lane cruisers.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There was a study done years ago that determined that "statistically," the right-most lane, aka, the slow lane, moves better than any other lane. I've made a point over the past decade to move as far right as possible whenever encountering traffic because it actually is the best lane to be in.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the right lane seems the safest, maybe a shoulder to ride on when the mug in the left lane wakes up and starts to cut you off. People get into a trance…a mental vacation behind the wheel.

We used to call the left lane the “Monfort Lane.”

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just did an interstate drive where I had to come from Texarkana to DFW. Oh my the truckers dude. It’s two lane on I-30 and mother fucker I couldn’t count how many times a fucking trucker was in the fast lane, and the slow lane, bricking the highway. I mean it’d be 10-15 miles before you could get past. I have never dropped more fuck bombs in my life.

Then I’d get some clear space, and keep in mind this is 75 mph posted limit, and I’m doing a whopping 80 mph in the truck, and people be bogarting. I would go around them and they’d speed up. I finally had enough and started flashing the brights, and when they wouldn’t move I’d go around them and lay into the horn for 15 seconds at a time. I thought the horn was going to implode on the truck. I got fucking pissed and started rolling 85 and 90 when I needed to really pass a clown.

The entitlement and narcissism on the highway is epic now. Never seen anything like it in 37 years of driving. Yet I’m in the fast lane, cruise on 80 mph and I’m constantly checking my mirrors. If I see a vehicle approaching faster, flip the signal, move over, let them by, then I signal and move back over. Just common sense rules of the road and everyone has fallen out of the got damn idiot tree and hit every single branch on the way down. There was even posted signs every 5-10 miles that says in caps “LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY”. What part of a TX posted sign stating that do these mother fuckers not understand?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12565 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

I just did an interstate drive where I had to come from Texarkana to DFW. Oh my the truckers dude. It’s two lane on I-30 and mother fucker I couldn’t count how many times a fucking trucker was in the fast lane, and the slow lane, bricking the highway. I mean it’d be 10-15 miles before you could get past. I have never dropped more fuck bombs in my life.

Then I’d get some clear space, and keep in mind this is 75 mph posted limit, and I’m doing a whopping 80 mph in the truck, and people be bogarting. I would go around them and they’d speed up. I finally had enough and started flashing the brights, and when they wouldn’t move I’d go around them and lay into the horn for 15 seconds at a time. I thought the horn was going to implode on the truck. I got fucking pissed and started rolling 85 and 90 when I needed to really pass a clown.

The entitlement and narcissism on the highway is epic now. Never seen anything like it in 37 years of driving. Yet I’m in the fast lane, cruise on 80 mph and I’m constantly checking my mirrors. If I see a vehicle approaching faster, flip the signal, move over, let them by, then I signal and move back over. Just common sense rules of the road and everyone has fallen out of the got damn idiot tree and hit every single branch on the way down. There was even posted signs every 5-10 miles that says in caps “LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY”. What part of a TX posted sign stating that do these mother fuckers not understand?

sounds as bad as I81 thru VA, why that interstate is still 2 lanes is beyond me

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

Talk about annoying!

-Rob

We call that turnpike tag.
And yes it is.

I hate that, but even more than that I hate the people who come up real fast or who I start to pass and then decide to alter their speed to match my speed and hang out in my blind spot.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They race up to cruise in your blind spot so they can get the good-feelz of trapping you behind the slow poke you are approaching. It’s rampant and business as usual around here. Crowding the line usually moves them along.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay out of the MONFORT LANE!!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post