SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did the left lane become the slow lane?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did the left lane become the slow lane? Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Stay out of the MONFORT LANE!!

I hadn't heard that statement in years. It was common when I lived in the Midwest. Those guys would ROLL! Occasionally, they rolled thru a curve a little too fast and the beef shifted and then they ROLLED!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We just came back from a trip, and I honestly think everything about interstate driving has gotten worse. There were people hogging the left lane that were driving under the speed limit. U-Hauls were the worst. There were countless others veering/swerving from one lane to another, obviously distracted, drunk or asleep. I'm glad we decided to travel before the holiday break. At least traffic was light.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend told me they rode with a friend who drives the speed limit in the left lane because she feels comfortable on that side. Never has she seem more middle fingers. The friend expects and is use to the finger.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It makes her powerful. She gets a kick out of screwing over other people. Look at her behavior in other situations and I bet she does similar provocations. Passive aggressive.
Stupid needs to hurt but we have evolved into a weak society where people like that are allowed to trample over everyone.
Rampant drug use and the Covid shot mental haze isn’t helping.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:
It makes her powerful. She gets a kick out of screwing over other people. Look at her behavior in other situations and I bet she does similar provocations. Passive aggressive.
Stupid needs to hurt but we have evolved into a weak society where people like that are allowed to trample over everyone.

That’s a wild, and untrue, generalization.

I think some people are just taught incorrectly. That doesn’t make them passive aggressive or weak or a fucking drug user. Roll Eyes

I have a friend whose wife drove in the left lane on the interstate. Someone once told her that if you are just cruising and not planning on exiting anytime soon then you should stay in the left have so you don’t interfere with traffic merging in and off the interstate. She rarely ever drove so my buddy had never seen it as he had never been a passenger in a car with her and we only found out when her and my ex went on a road trip and my ex called her out for it. She is one of the sweetest ladies I know, maybe to a fault, she just got some bad info when she was learning to drive and hadn’t learned different.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There was a study done years ago that determined that "statistically," the right-most lane, aka, the slow lane, moves better than any other lane. I've made a point over the past decade to move as far right as possible whenever encountering traffic because it actually is the best lane to be in.

The best driving plan by far on any interstate anymore is to use all available lanes to make progress. Sometimes being passed by multiple cars this way will wake up a fast (or passing if you prefer the terminology) lane slug change their travel path, but not nearly enough.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

That’s a wild, and untrue, generalization.

I think some people are just taught incorrectly. That doesn’t make them passive aggressive or weak or a fucking drug user. Roll Eyes

I have a friend whose wife drove in the left lane on the interstate. Someone once told her that if you are just cruising and not planning on exiting anytime soon then you should stay in the left have so you don’t interfere with traffic merging in and off the interstate. She rarely ever drove so my buddy had never seen it as he had never been a passenger in a car with her and we only found out when her and my ex went on a road trip and my ex called her out for it. She is one of the sweetest ladies I know, maybe to a fault, she just got some bad info when she was learning to drive and hadn’t learned different.

Not at all. Defend those people all you like but then totally discount the fact that they see lots of other folks using the right lane and everyone else riding their ass and flipping them off. It’s regularly made clear to them that their behavior isn’t acceptable. They do it because they like it or they are in some sort of haze that clouds their perception of their surroundings.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 322 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Oklahoma the OHP will give them tickets when possible...its against the law to block the left lane.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There was a study done years ago that determined that "statistically," the right-most lane, aka, the slow lane, moves better than any other lane. I've made a point over the past decade to move as far right as possible whenever encountering traffic because it actually is the best lane to be in.

The best driving plan by far on any interstate anymore is to use all available lanes to make progress. Sometimes being passed by multiple cars this way will wake up a fast (or passing if you prefer the terminology) lane slug change their travel path, but not nearly enough.

true,,

except that jerk last night on the way back from Hampton that was puttering in the left lane, and when I went right (2 lanes only on 64 in that area) he sped up, so I could not get over and had to slow down,

thought about punting that one up into the woods

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not at all. Defend those people all you like but then totally discount the fact that they see lots of other folks using the right lane and everyone else riding their ass and flipping them off. It’s regularly made clear to them that their behavior isn’t acceptable. They do it because they like it or they are in some sort of haze that clouds their perception of their surroundings.

Then there are the posted, State signs, every 5-10 miles that clearly state “LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY”. I guess the next excuse is people can’t read.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Signage: “Slower traffic keep right.” Yep, can’t read.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
California. I don't have the words. I've had to mentally detach.

Idiots here stack up the left lane and then pass on the right. Gunning it up to whatever truck is holding up the right lane and being "passed' and they all rush up to that one cutting into the left to get around them. Makes multiple problems.

The real problem, is people hanging out in the left lane not going fast enough. And it makes me want to have missiles on my car to nuke them.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A co-worker and I headed down to Greenville, NC about 5am with him driving. After about 5 miles of him hanging out in the left lane for no reason, I asked him why in the hell he was doing it. He thought it was the best thing to do in case a deer ran out he would have more time to react. He was a subordinate. I told him to get in the right lane unless passing.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
For at least as long as I've been driving, so on the order of 30 years. In some areas it's bad enough that actual lane discipline is effectively inverted and people who want to pass know to do it on the right (NJ, MA, looking at you).

I'm not really used to seeing it in MO though, that was one of so very many things I'd hoped to leave behind. But since the pandemic driving you see on the road had gotten so much worse for so many reasons.....

Yesterday I was driving home on a highway that was 4 lanes each way, for at least the next several miles. Lots of open road. I was in the second lane from the left. Second lane from the right has a long stacked up line of cars in it. Far left and far right lanes are 100% wide open. Guy at the front of the line is really slow and the guy directly behind him is tailgating something fierce, but won't go around. (I'm watching this mess as I approach from behind, properly to the left of it). So the slow guy at the front of the train yields to faster traffic behind him by moving - LEFT. In front of me. Formerly tailgating guy in second lane from the right now has open road in front and zooms ahead. I move left one to the far left and pass the moron. Last I saw was a line of cars all passing the moron to the right, the ones who were originally all stacked up behind the moron and wouldn't change lanes to go around.

This level of stupid used to be unusual in my local area, but now is not.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The answer is at least 20 years ago.
Anyone that got bad advice a long time ago and hasn’t figured out that it is bad advice seems like they aren’t thinking. People use the horn as a damn “I’m mad at you “ button. It accomplishes nothing but elevated blood pressure. Stop honking your horn! Start using your mirrors. If people are stacked up on your ass in the left lane, move to the right. Nobody here is innocent of exceeding the speed limit, and you are not the official pace setter.

Posts: 899 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
What’s the speed limit in the left lane?
How far can I drive over the speed limit in the left lane?
Or is it a personal autobahn lane?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Left lane has always been the hammer lane. In Illinois you only need to move over if you are being overtaken.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I ride the number two lane with the cruise control set at five over the limit. It's pretty reliable for me.

The stuff I see in the one lane affirms my decision daily.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

It's that. You aren't obligated to indulge, but you also don't need to police it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

It's that. You aren't obligated to indulge, but you also don't need to police it.

Then why have a speed limit?
I drove the autobahn for almost 2 years.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post