SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DRLs are NOT headlights!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DRLs are NOT headlights! Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
DRLs are NOT headlights, dammit!

You think those puddles of light 5 yards in front of your nose are your headlights?!?! You’re a moron. And you’re a moron with no markers in the back driving in the dark.

Learn to operate your freaking vehicle properly.

That is all.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Concur.

And there’s lots of imbeciles who don’t have any lights on at all, driving in the dark. I suppose they aren’t aware that their headlights have to be set to “auto-on” to turn on when it’s dark, and can see by the light from street lights.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We see this all the time at our roadchecks. No lights. No taillights. No awareness. No operator skills.

And they are surprised when a citation is issued.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Some DRL setups, and even some without them, light up the dash/instrument illumination lights. This can trick the ignorant, unwary - or clueless - into thinking the headlights are on. It happened to me when driving my then-new 2005 Toyota Tacoma home from the dealership at twilight.

My current car (2009 Corolla) has DRLs which are actually the high beams on reduced power, but it doesn't light up the dash or the tail lights. When the dash is difficult to see I turn on the headlights. The headlights are also automatic, but don't turn on until it is fairly dark.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Some cars, Nissan Rogues in particular, have very bright DRLs, to the point I think they probably provide decent frontal lighting.
This compounds the driver's confusion when you flash them for having no lights on.

I've taken to giving a flash & cycling the lights off/on & hoping they figure it out.

Crazy to see newer cars than mine that you k ow have auto lights & they're set to 'off' Roll Eyes

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'd just be glad if they would go faster than 42 in a 55 zone. Don't care what lights they have on (or off).

Hint: When a tanker truck is passing them in the slow lane uphill, it would be kinda cool if they moved out of the way.

Idiots.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Preach it

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've ranted here about this topic before, so I won't repeat the whole rant. But... DRLs by their current methods are a stupid, STUPID idea, and this "arms race" the auto manufacturers seem to be engaged in ("Oooh! We can make our DRLs even MORE gaudy and obnoxious! Let's DO IT!") is an abomination.

Motorcyclists now get lost in the sea of too-bright DRLs, motorists don't have a danged clue that their headlights aren't on (ran across an example just last week, just before dawn), and [most] manufacturers can't seem to get a handle on a) lighting up the back end as well, or b) turning the danged DRLs off when the regular headlights are on.

Oh, and Hyundai? May you be roo-roo'd with a cactus -- TWICE -- for putting no fewer than FIVE PAIRS of DRLs on your new minitruck/mini-SUV. Mad

Be listening, Toyota, for you're next on the rant list for this craziness:

I can't believe that "cyclops" is legal under FMVSS* 108. I haven't finished reading it yet (and it's no easy read), but running that darned thing on-road is danged ridiculous.

- - - - -
* Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've come to just running my headlights all the time. It increases front and rear visibility in the daytime. In my Tacoma, after I've killed the engine and open my door, they go off, then automatically back on when I start up again.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I've come to just running my headlights all the time. <snip> In my Tacoma, after I've killed the engine and open my door, they go off, then automatically back on when I start up again.
Yeah they go off automatically in my Ford Edge, too. As soon as the battery runs out. Don't ask. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is a daily frustration for me, too many idiots around here drive around with no lights on when it’s rainy or foggy or getting dark.

My favorite are the silver or gray cars that drive 80 mph down the highway in the pouring rain and fog with no lights on and they are invisible.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Goes to, read the owners manual, which the average adult male in America is incapable of doing. 1) pride, no man ever needs to be instructed how to do it right, and 2) illiterate. The makers don't help with massive amounts of fluff and even whole chapters on "how to drive" or "plan your vacation." The book is how to operate and maintain it. It doesn't need three volumes.

Things are changing and simple instructions are all we need. Case in point, headlight dimmers - which used to be a button on the floor. But, no, stalks added functions, so when I bought a 99 Forester I had no idea how to get the lights on bright or dim. The previous Dodge van pulled back, the Forester would just flash and it wouldn't stay on high. I thought the switch was broke. Nope. Push forward. That was all it took.

When I got a F150 15 years newer it did the same. Okay. But, it doesn't have DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS, which, BTW, are NOT required by DOT last I checked. Canada did, the makers just wholesale changed over for a North America product set and here we are.

So, for all who agree with the OP's rant over them, have you read your owner's manual? Ever? You might find a few other tweaks in there to use. At least your car has all the chips in it. Future models are likely getting them trimmed and the makers might slow down on coming up with New! features most of us abuse anyway.

I'll keep my O5, real door locks are nice. No breaking the glass to get to the hood latch to open the hood to jump start the car. As for folks not knowing which position to put the headlight switch to - Auto works pretty good on the wife 12 Buick - Im gonna suggest those driving in DRL's are better than their Uncle back in the MidEast. Working security checkpoints in Egypt you quickly learned that folks would drive 85 with NO LIGHTS AT ALL. Saves gas and you don't burn them out.

They say the wrecks of two vehicles traveling at 170 mph approach speeds are explosive.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I used to rent a lot of cars while traveling on business.

When the auto feature for headlights started showing up in cars, I found that the car rental places put them in the auto mode, probably because people had trouble figuring out where the light switch was in cars they weren't familiar with.

So, I put my personal cars in auto mode also, simply because that's what I'm used to.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I've ranted here about this topic before, so I won't repeat the whole rant. But... DRLs by their current methods are a stupid, STUPID idea, and this "arms race" the auto manufacturers seem to be engaged in ("Oooh! We can make our DRLs even MORE gaudy and obnoxious! Let's DO IT!") is an abomination.

Motorcyclists now get lost in the sea of too-bright DRLs, motorists don't have a danged clue that their headlights aren't on (ran across an example just last week, just before dawn), and [most] manufacturers can't seem to get a handle on a) lighting up the back end as well, or b) turning the danged DRLs off when the regular headlights are on.

Oh, and Hyundai? May you be roo-roo'd with a cactus -- TWICE -- for putting no fewer than FIVE PAIRS of DRLs on your new minitruck/mini-SUV. Mad

Be listening, Toyota, for you're next on the rant list for this craziness:

I can't believe that "cyclops" is legal under FMVSS* 108. I haven't finished reading it yet (and it's no easy read), but running that darned thing on-road is danged ridiculous.

- - - - -
* Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard

A lot of things in the Federal Standards seem to be ignored these days- look at the proliferation of flashing brake lights on oh so many new vehicles these days.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Are the flashing brake lights an actual feature or is it people riding the brake pedal ever so slightly? I've noticed it a lot on newer vehicles, but it doesn't seem consistant. The Jeep Mojave I was behind this morning did it twice while slowing for traffic, but didn't do it while stopping for a red light.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We had a 2017 Silverado that had a dealer-added flashing brake light. One of those deals they add to rake a few extra shekels out of a customer’s pocketbook.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Are the flashing brake lights an actual feature or is it people riding the brake pedal ever so slightly? I've noticed it a lot on newer vehicles, but it doesn't seem consistant. The Jeep Mojave I was behind this morning did it twice while slowing for traffic, but didn't do it while stopping for a red light.

I've been seeing it more & more. They brake & you get 3 or 4 flashes of the 3rd brake light then it goes solid.
From the ones I've seen, it's only the 3rd brake light that blinks, but it always goes solid after a few.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've been seeing it more & more. They brake & you get 3 or 4 flashes of the 3rd brake light then it goes solid.
From the ones I've seen, it's only the 3rd brake light that blinks, but it always goes solid after a few.

That's what I've seen also.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

That's what I've seen also.

Took my boss to the airport earlier this morning.
Newer Chevrolet Traverse, did exactly this, couple blinks of the 3rd brake light, then constant on.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Several Motorcycle aftermarket tail lights do this, to get the attention of the driver behind them, some offer different programable patterns.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post