SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Take the apostrophe key off your keyboard, just get rid of it.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take the apostrophe key off your keyboard, just get rid of it. Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have always been a bad speller and the same with grammar and punctuation.... my only justification is to look at some of the stuff our founding fathers wrote. I blame it all on that dern Englishman Samual Johnson... I think he started this damn "this is the only and right way to write". I agree to a degree with the OP but, and I've gotten in trouble here before for saying this, I think the words people use tells more about them than how they spell them... the above coffee cup is a prime example. But then I was brought up in a different time and place... as a child and teenager you stood up when an adult came in the room just for an example.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you're correct.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I wonder how well the average Vietnamese person deals with the plethora of accent/diacritical marks in that language.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I wonder how well the average Vietnamese person deals with the plethora of accent/diacritical marks in that language.

Excellent question, but given the disparity in education between the US today and what is common in Asia, I suspect they do pretty well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post

Love that mug, but it also made a mistake.

Its missing the apostrophe in "COULDVE".

They should of checked there work.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:

Hahahaha.
I have a friend and he's a teacher, English teacher. He'd freak out if he read that. Seriously. He's one of those.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I don't reckon I care. I only notice things like that when ya'll point it out.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
But then I was brought up in a different time and place... as a child and teenager you stood up when an adult came in the room just for an example.

I'm just shy of 70 and back in school they actually taught all 12 tenses.

This was back in the days when folks did not use "Shall" and "Will" interchangeably and knew that the usage switched when used in the Imperative.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:

Hahahaha.
I have a friend and he's a teacher, English teacher. He'd freak out if he read that. Seriously. He's one of those.

My Mother was an English teacher and she would've freaked out too. Valedictorian of her High School class, graduated at 16, went to college, Phi Beta Kappa, graduated at 19.

Drove me nuts correcting my language.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I wonder what’s it like to see the negative side of everything? Wink

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I scored in the mid 90s percentile for the mechanical reasoning portions of a Navy aptitude test as a Senior in High School. Same test I was only in the 20s for the grammar and spelling.

One year I failed English. I hated my teacher and the feeling was mutual.
Same year I passed French... Roll Eyes go figure.

It is what it is so...
When it comes to Grammar Nazis...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter that I know what's right or wrong, where the apostrophe goes, that it's there their or they're, or a dozen other things. I've learned that when I'm typing, my fingers don't seem to really care what my brain knows. They're on their own channel, doing their own thing.

I'll read something I wrote a day or too later and I'm embarrassed by myself, to myself.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons for my pitching a bitch about something is to see what clever responses they elicit. So here’s mine to keep things going. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
One of the reasons for my pitching a bitch about something is to see what clever responses they elicit. So here’s mine to keep things going. Smile

That's kind of the way internet forums work...

Conversely, had you said this in open conversation, I could have told you, "I don't give a fuck".

Seeing as how on a forum, when you start a thread it mirrors striking up a conversation, those commenting they don't care isn't some GOTCHA moment.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t really understand your point.

But in any event I will leave it with that I’m glad that I sparked enough interest with my comment to elicit yet another response. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I’ve been out of school for many years now, but I remember being taught to do two spaces after the period at the end of a sentence. Nobody ever called me out on that, until I started having to work with a much younger colleague on reports and such. She kept pointing out I had an extra space, and I finally got irritated and told her that’s how I had been taught. She had to Google it before she believed me. Of course, they had changed the rules since I’ve been out of school. Now I have to hit review each email to make sure I don’t have any extra spaces. Roll Eyes Also, the apostrophe thing irks me. Everytime I want to make something possessive, it wants me to put the apostrophe before the ‘s’. At my age, I’m over being that anal about it, and I’ve seen worse mistakes from the bosses in their emails.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I finally realized that my computer keeps correcting me. Every time I type 'an' it auto corrects it to 'and'. What the heck is that about?
(Also, note I have two spaces after all my periods.)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Excellent question, but given the disparity in education between the US today and what is common in Asia, I suspect they do pretty well.

I am semi-interested in people movements in the US and how, as a group, they carve out livelihoods. At least in melting pot places, you have Koreans in the dry cleaning business, Vietnamese in nail salons, Cambodians in donut shops, Indians in motels, etc.

It's something to see as the next generations make progress. Of course, there's the next generation going into accounting, medicine, etc. But on the last two cross-country trips we made, it was notable I was seeing highway billboard ads for Vietnamese personal injury attorneys. It's just an indication to me of how far they've come into integrating into society.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post