SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Take the apostrophe key off your keyboard, just get rid of it.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take the apostrophe key off your keyboard, just get rid of it. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
If you’re using it, you’re probably using it incorrectly.

You would seem less grammatically challenged if you didn’t use it at all. At least then we could assume that you were posting with a smartphone and you didn’t want to go to the page with punctuation marks, rather than that you didn’t know how they’re supposed to be used and therefore just drop them in at random.

I was going to bump an earlier thread with the same subject, but it is evidently in thread heaven.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are apparently quite a few people out there on the interwebs who are under the impression that words are made plural by adding 's.

But considering that grammar and spelling are down to about #47 on the list of teaching priorities in public school English classes these days, I'm not surprised.

It's further exacerbated by the fact that people are less apt to be frequent readers these days, and what they do choose to read is often just casual internet text like social media posts, which just reinforces their poor habits.

Compare that to folks who are avid readers of properly edited books and other content, and thus are being repeatedly reinforced with examples of proper grammar and spelling.

One of my favorites of the latest ones I've seen is you'r. I guess they couldn't figure out whether you're or your was correct, and just said "Screw it" and split the difference? Congratulations, you're doubly wrong.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It's It is the crux of the biscuit

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst is the constant use of the exclamation point. Just plain annoying.

Posts: 17156 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about being used in general grammar?

I'd like to start at a specific point: La'Ta'Quisha et al.

I'd be pleased as pie if we could just get rid of that shit.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Are we talking about being used in general grammar?

Yes, but you make a good point as well.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I dont see a problem with leaving them out. It wont bother me at all.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It's versus Its. Contraction versus possessive. Confused all the time, but MS Word tries to set me straight.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20294 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The use of apostrophes to make words plural reveals incredible ignorance and a lack of education. That is fourth or fifth grade material. If you make excuses about not caring, you are only making it worse.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

I'd like to start at a specific point: La'Ta'Quisha et al.

I'd be pleased as pie if we could just get rid of that shit.

I feel like this deserves its own thread...

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9667 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
incredible ignorance and a lack of education.

quote:
You would seem less grammatically challenged

I'll bet you are a hoot at parties

Growing up with ADHD, before it was ADHD, I didn't give a shit about my English and grammar classes. By the time I did give a shit I was a Father without time to do much about it. I did what I could with reading articles and paying attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation, picked up a lot but I still lack.

I give you my inferior feelings in a gif, while you look down on folks like me

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Wh’ats the issue? Ten’s of thousand’s of people use apostrophe’s every day.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12402 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
It's It is the crux of the biscuit

I got it, Richard. Wink

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are apparently quite a few people out there on the interwebs who are under the impression that words are made plural by adding 's.

I've never been able to figure out where that belief even comes from

quote:
It's versus Its. Contraction versus possessive.

That is a very common error as it seems to go against the grain of being possessive

I'm hesitant to even mention that it has to do with its use with nouns without a defined gender

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You'll pry the apostrophe from my cold, dead keyboard Razz

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There are corner cases where an apostrophe is used to properly form the plural, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For sell is more annoying to me.
I have something to sale.

Posts: 3871 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was watching a videogame walkthrough on YouTube and noticed that there was text within the game that was grammatically incorrect, using 's for plural in a couple spots. At this point, it's pretty much a permanent part of our written language.

Same goes for people who use "me and him/her" or "should of/could of/would of." I just want to slap people.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

^ Spot on. Our school systems are so F***ED up. The general lack of parenting skills and home discipline just exacerbate the problems.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post