SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Relaxed" jeans/pants suck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Relaxed" jeans/pants suck Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. If "relaxed fit" jeans give you too much room through the backside and thighs, then buy regular fit?

You write, bald1, that you're "long-waisted." Perhaps therein lies the problem? I don't know as I've ever seen jeans meant to be hauled-up to literally around the waist. All jeans I've ever seen, tried on, or worn were meant to ride on or just above the hips. (I'm not talking about "hip-huggers meant to ride low on the hips, but plain old jeans.)

The Lee jeans I've been wearing for about forever, be they regular fit, boot cut, or whatever have all fit that way. The Wrangler Cowboy Cut jeans I just bought for horse-riding ride that way. (The Wranglers have a bit more space through the crotch, thighs, and knees than the Lee jeans I usually wear.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
"Long waisted" is simply a term that means for my height my torso is much longer and my legs are much shorter than the norm.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
"Long waisted" is simply a term that means for my height my torso is much longer and my legs are much shorter than the norm.
I understand that part, but, I guess, I'm not understanding what is the precise problem?

If relaxed fit jeans are too baggy through your posterior and thighs, then why not just buy regular fit?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I understand that part, but, I guess, I'm not understanding what is the precise problem?

If relaxed fit jeans are too baggy through your posterior and thighs, then why not just buy regular fit?

First getting them with short inseams to fit me is a non-starter. So they're designed/built for a longer legged person. Tailoring or cutting the legs still doesn't address the "roominess" that results from the pant thigh area now around my knees, etc.

Keep in mind my original lament was that "relaxed" pants were more like balloon pants and they all look like shit.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
First getting them with short inseams to fit me is a non-starter. So they're designed/built for a longer legged person. Tailoring or cutting the legs still doesn't address the "roominess" that results from the pant thigh area now around my knees, etc.

Keep in mind my original lament was that "relaxed" pants were more like balloon pants and they all look like shit.

bald1, for some reason, pants that look like this popped into my head.

Though, I can't quite see you wearing them. Smile
'

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

bald1, for some reason, pants that look like this popped into my head.

Though, I can't quite see you wearing them. Smile
'

Yup... although those are purely comical they do convey the gist of what I am dealing with.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I wear relaxed fit and I'm happy with them.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:

It sounds like you need to try a different brand of jeans. My relaxed fit Wranglers don't fit like that.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:

It sounds like you need to try a different brand of jeans. My relaxed fit Wranglers don't fit like that.

Wranglers were my go to for years. But again for short folks they seem to have the same width as the waist all the way down. Eek

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait for overalls to be the latest fashion trend. A good pair of broken in Liberties is hard to beat. My wife however says no. She also reminds me that my pants are too baggy.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So I've been going to different company websites for clothes to look at jeans. They offer many different lines and styles. You should go and check them out to figure out which style to look for that fit your body type. The problem is that just because they show it on their website doesn't mean local stores carry those styles. Then you're stuck with ordering online without knowing if they actually fit the way you want them to. I guess you're just screwed. Having your jeans tailored may just be the best solution for you.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone mentioned above, I have good luck with Lee brand jeans. I currently reside as a member of the “no a$$” tribe. I am lucky though as 34 x 32 jean size fits me well. I have been fortunate that I have been that general size for a long time now.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I alone here in this opinion?

My thighs are bigger than average for my size so anything not “loose” fit looks like spandex on me. Ain’t exactly comfortable for the boys and the exhaust port regardless how stretchy the material may be. Comfort trumps everything for me.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well I took a queue from another old fart with similar frustrations. He has adopted wearing scrubs pants which come in short (28.5" inseam). I picked up 2 sets (black) and am thus far quite pleased. Pull on polyester-cotton with no belt loops but natural rise, drawstring (actually wide fabric "tape") waist, functional zip fly, cargo pockets, back pocket, and slash pockets. Very comfortable, don't look bad at all for out and about, and good fit.
Nicer than plain sweatpants and more like regular pants than warm ups with their almost universal side stripes. Roll Eyes

USN (RET), COTEP #192

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhh doctor jammies - nice!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a big waist and belly, but "regular" sized butt and thighs. I don't need relaxed fit, either. Just look for pants cut with a regular fit instead of relaxed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be glad if you are thin enough to not need relaxed fit..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair of relaxed fit Wranglers today.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I tried to wear scrubs outside of my house my wife would threaten bodily harm. lol

There really are only a couple solutions. Tailoring or losing weight.

Tailoring is easier all the way around.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After years of Levis, Lees, Wranglers, and Carhartts, I ordered a pair from All American Jeans Company. About $95 shipped but great fit, quality construction and fabric, made in the USA. For an extra fee, they will adjust the inseam length. No more twisted seams, no weird shrinkage in the dryer.

I haven't worn any other pants since these arrived.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post