SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Got fired today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got fired today Login/Join 
posted
Been with the company 35 years. Father died a week before christmas
Only used funeral leave once in 35 years. Got covid again, two weeks off
A new year, I'm senior man, told them I'm taking two weeks vacation.
Got a certified letter today telling me I'm terminated.
I'm so happy. Best mood I've been in two years!

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s Congratulations time.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Fired for what?

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Fired for what?

They didn't approve my vacation. We are so shorthanded on truck drivers.
Not my problem. In the last five years, they have hired 20 drivers.
They all quit within six months. I'm in the best mood I've been in years!!
And the Bengals have won two playoff games Smile

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
J. B. Hunt is offering a $20,000 sign on bonus, last I'd heard. I'm willing to bet other trucking companies are doing similar.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you man. Hope your Bengals win a couple more games.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Sounds like ass hat move on the Company.
Good thing is i hear most trucking Companies are in need of Drivers i am betting you can take your pick of many.

Good luck on the Job search but not so much to the Bengals.

Posts: 1602 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything happens for a reason, huh?
Could be you’ll get a good or even better rig.

Good luck, “keep on trucking!”

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

quote:
quote:
Fired for what?
We are so shorthanded on truck drivers...

So how is that working out for them?

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations
You did your time
Now it is your time to relax..

It seems that this is the new way to manage long term employees. This has been the trend the last few years, and it is not just the private sector..

Enjoy your time off and stay warm...
( I do not miss Ohio weather... Even though I am trying to move back)

The Skyline chili in Mason used to be pretty good.

((I miss Skyline. I haven't had it in years.
Man, now I want Skyline and to watch the Bengals..))

Plus the Bengals have won their first playoff game is 30+ years...

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’m curious about what company. I work for an LTL carrier in sales. We don’t have near enough drivers and as others have said, you can pretty much write your own ticket.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
quote:
Fired for what?
We are so shorthanded on truck drivers...

So how is that working out for them?

Exactly. They're short-handed on drivers so they're firing a good employee that's been with them for thirty-five years. That's real super-genius, that is.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

Sorry to hear about that. Very sorry.

I'd like to know what company that is, to ensure I never do business with them again. Ever.

If you're not of the mind to retire, I suspect you'll be in demand everywhere else.

The idea that a company would fire you for taking leave when sick is unconscionable and in my opinion, unforgivable. Is this a case where they're weeding out senior employees to cut their pension costs? Regardless of whether you were approved or not to take vacation, if you took time when sick, then they're out of their goddamn minds to terminate you. I doubt you needed permission to get sick. To take your own vacation to cover being sick, and then they fire you for it?

There's a company due for a law suit that burns them to the ground. It's for cases like this that unions exist, even in right to work states.

Unacceptable in any world.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:...That's real super-genius, that is.

Wile E. Coyote level. (SMH)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It sucks to be fired (especially right now) but it is probably much worse to work for an employer who truly does not value you at all and does not appreciate years of loyalty.

I’m sorry they did that to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of dip-shits. Want loyalty, buy a dog.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you're an actual employee and not a "contractor," be sure to apply for unemployment benefits. That will be against their dime and you paid for it over the last 35 years.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:...That's real super-genius, that is.

Wile E. Coyote level. (SMH)

Yeah, they sure showed him/S

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
What a bunch of dip-shits. Want loyalty, buy a dog.

Dad told me when I was a little kid that employee loyalty was a one way street and he was right, with only one exception, a place I worked for that was wholly owned by one guy who was a genuinely good person and great boss.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

Sorry to hear about that. Very sorry.

I'd like to know what company that is, to ensure I never do business with them again. Ever.

If you're not of the mind to retire, I suspect you'll be in demand everywhere else.

The idea that a company would fire you for taking leave when sick is unconscionable and in my opinion, unforgivable. Is this a case where they're weeding out senior employees to cut their pension costs? Regardless of whether you were approved or not to take vacation, if you took time when sick, then they're out of their goddamn minds to terminate you. I doubt you needed permission to get sick. To take your own vacation to cover being sick, and then they fire you for it?

There's a company due for a law suit that burns them to the ground. It's for cases like this that unions exist, even in right to work states.

Unacceptable in any world.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm 61, been driving a truck for 42 years. The last 35 driving an 18 wheeler
hauling Hazmat. My best friend is also my union steward, I asked him not to,but he's so pissed off,
He's skipping the union and going to the NLRB. We'll see what happens. I'm tired, I'll never get in the seat of an
18 wheeler again. I paid my house off ten years ago. Don't need the money