SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Got fired today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got fired today Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Never piss off an old, experienced guy with no fucks left to give. Well played and best of luck as you move on to the next chapter of your life

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Never piss off an old, experienced guy with no fucks left to give. Well played and best of luck as you move on to the next chapter of your life

It is nice to get to that point in life where you can go to work with the "don't screw with me, I'll quit" smile on your face.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is hoping they have to reinstate you so you can go in and quit

It is beyond insane to fire workers at a time no one wants to work

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Don't need the stress. I feel like a great weight has
been liftid off my shoulders. I'll take six months off,and find
a no stress job. Just need insurance for a few more years.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
glad to hear this

Posts: 1602 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met my wife at the Skyline in Reading Oh

quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Congratulations
You did your time
Now it is your time to relax..

It seems that this is the new way to manage long term employees. This has been the trend the last few years, and it is not just the private sector..

Enjoy your time off and stay warm...
( I do not miss Ohio weather... Even though I am trying to move back)

The Skyline chili in Mason used to be pretty good.

((I miss Skyline. I haven't had it in years.
Man, now I want Skyline and to watch the Bengals..))

Plus the Bengals have won their first playoff game is 30+ years...

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Yes. Don't need the stress. I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

We once had boats. The saying goes "The two best days of a boat-owners's life are the day they buy their boat and day they sell it."

It's true.

But the relief I felt upon selling each of our two boats paled in comparison to the day I retired.

Even paying off our mortgage came in second to that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Even tho' it sucks, it does give you more time to hit the range.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Oh no! Let me know if you need help sprucing up your resumé. Wink

Seriously, screw those assholes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schmelby, I sent you an email but wait for a couple of weeks to read it in case you change your mind about driving again. If you have no desire to drive a semi again then delete my email.
Hoping for the best for you and your family during this transition time.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Schmelby,

Enjoy your retirement. With no mortgage I'd bet you were smart with all your financial planning. I bailed at 59.5 with no debt to speak of. Never looked back. Big Grin

As for your former employer, fuck them and the ass they ride.
Reminds me of Massey-Ferguson back in the early 70's. In a cost cutting move they unilaterally terminated employees who were within a couple years of retirement to both save on overhead salary costs and avoid pensions. Their offers of separation packages were insulting to those affected. The bean counters failed to factor in the value of the experience and good will these employees had both internally and with customers.
Corporate stupidity is not new.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
Even tho' it sucks, it does give you more time to hit the range.

I haven't fired a gun in probably two years. I bought my son a glock 19
for a Christmas present this year. I Promised him we will go to one of the
indoor ranges soon. I got about 30 of my guns out, He likes to look at them,
but I get them out every six months or a year to wipe them down with an
oily rag. His favorite is a cheap Stoeger 12 gauge coach gun. I think I'll
just give it to him!

posted Hide Post
He'll get them all anyway Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Been with the company 35 years. Father died a week before christmas
Only used funeral leave once in 35 years. Got covid again, two weeks off
A new year, I'm senior man, told them I'm taking two weeks vacation.
Got a certified letter today telling me I'm terminated.
I'm so happy. Best mood I've been in two years!

Sorry to hear about that. Very sorry.

I'd like to know what company that is, to ensure I never do business with them again. Ever.

If you're not of the mind to retire, I suspect you'll be in demand everywhere else.

The idea that a company would fire you for taking leave when sick is unconscionable and in my opinion, unforgivable. Is this a case where they're weeding out senior employees to cut their pension costs? Regardless of whether you were approved or not to take vacation, if you took time when sick, then they're out of their goddamn minds to terminate you. I doubt you needed permission to get sick. To take your own vacation to cover being sick, and then they fire you for it?

There's a company due for a law suit that burns them to the ground. It's for cases like this that unions exist, even in right to work states.

Unacceptable in any world.

They froze our Teamsters pension 20 years ago. went to 401k. We were pissed at the time,but thank god we did.
The retired Teamsters have had their pay cut in half. A few years ago they offered us a cash buyout on the
pension. Everyone took it.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I know you said you weren’t interested in getting behind the wheel again but let me put this out there for you…

My wife works for a hazmat disposal company that hires various companies to haul their waste all over the country. One of her favorite trucking companies is Freehold Cartage. The owner told her that he is looking for drivers and they can make over 100K and be home for the weekends so if you’re interested contact me and I’ll have my wife pass along the pertinent info to you.

The company is located in Freehold NJ but they have facilities all over the country. Many of their drivers have been there for decades so they must be treating their employees right.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you doing okay, Schmelby?

Losing a job is tough, no matter when, or the circumstance. Some tougher to take than others.

When someone has a traumatic event and then starts talking about giving away their possessions, it throws up a flag. Where's your head right now, and how are you doing? You need to talk, there are plenty of us here who will take whatever time, whenever, that you want to talk. You know that, right?

I feel comfortable speaking for the room when I say that you are among friends, and friends who are happy to take your call or make the call, should you choose. Just know that reaching out is an option.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I second Guppy’s post. You will get good advice here from people who have lived through it themselves.
For myself, I retired at 61. Worked part time when and where I wanted. The the economy fell apart in ‘08 and I was blessed to find a full time job that turned out to be way better in terms of appreciation from colleagues and administration than I had ever had.
So just because somebody has screwed you over doesn’t mean you can’t find a place where you will be happy to work and finally get the appreciation you deserve.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I know you said you weren’t interested in getting behind the wheel again but let me put this out there for you…

My wife works for a hazmat disposal company that hires various companies to haul their waste all over the country. One of her favorite trucking companies is Freehold Cartage. The owner told her that he is looking for drivers and they can make over 100K and be home for the weekends so if you’re interested contact me and I’ll have my wife pass along the pertinent info to you.

The company is located in Freehold NJ but they have facilities all over the country. Many of their drivers have been there for decades so they must be treating their employees right.

Thanks for the offer but I'll never get behind the wheel of a 18 wheeler again

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Management by intimidation, my last supervisor before I retired, his personal mantra. I started to give you some background story here but Reader’s Digest version was that I threw it right back in his face. He threatened twice to fire me, told him “go ahead”. He backed down, both instances were B.S., just tried to show who’s were bigger. Obviously it wasn’t his.

Don’t let this get you down. Good for your friend going to the NLRB.

My advice, explore all your options. Contact the SSA. Only negative is that you need health insurance. Get a good agent. While not in Ohio I have one in Michigan, maybe he can be some assistance.

My email is in my profile.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Are you doing okay, Schmelby?

Losing a job is tough, no matter when, or the circumstance. Some tougher to take than others.

When someone has a traumatic event and then starts talking about giving away their possessions, it throws up a flag. Where's your head right now, and how are you doing? You need to talk, there are plenty of us here who will take whatever time, whenever, that you want to talk. You know that, right?

I feel comfortable speaking for the room when I say that you are among friends, and friends who are happy to take your call or make the call, should you choose. Just know that reaching out is an option.

Thanks for your concern. My last two years have been miserable. Got cancer,got over that. Got Covid,Knocked me on my ass
for a month. Still have side affects, fatigue. My mother died in July, My father died just before Christmas. I'm slipping
back into depression. I'll get over it. I hope.