SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do you have to pull the husks back on ears of corn
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have to pull the husks back on ears of corn Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

You see all kinds of people playing with the food. Several years ago in Walmart, a guy has two cartons of Jumbo eggs and is picking the largest eggs and putting them in one carton.
I frequently have to go through more than two cartons of eggs in order to find one carton that has no broken eggs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We get mediocre corn at best in Texas. It doesn't grow around here, and it is old by the time it gets to the store. Sometimes it is okay, and sometimes it is terrible, but it is never good like fresh corn is in places where they grow it nearby.

So there isn't a lot of point in testing it. Its never going to be great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I’m of the opinion, you open it, you buy it.

If you want to know if it has a bug or not ripe end, just a gentle pinch will tell if too soft (bug) or too hard (not fully grown/ripe).

Around here though I’ve watched asian women pull back a few dozen (like the whole pile) just for those three or for ears which meet the standard.

I’ve had no problems asking for a help, within ear shot of the offender, if there were any unmolested ears in the back.

Now the store will, occasionally, have a “Do Not Open Corn" sign with the pile of ears.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
We get mediocre corn at best in Texas. It doesn't grow around here, and it is old by the time it gets to the store. Sometimes it is okay, and sometimes it is terrible, but it is never good like fresh corn is in places where they grow it nearby.

So there isn't a lot of point in testing it. Its never going to be great.

That is the truth. All the good corn farms are along the river so they have irrigation during dry spells.

My father raised corn and kept Havahart traps set for the raccoons. Big Grin He put Canola oil on the silk to discourage the worms. He even made hardware cloth cages to put over the ears to protect them from the birds.

We lived on the river so water was never a problem. Some of the corn farms are still around 60 years later:

https://pickyourown.farm/farm/...golden-kernel-12551/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I open cartons of eggs to be sure none are cracked, and set aside ones that are. This is just a very quick inspection for obvious cracks; I don't remove every egg and examine it.
Here's a trick I learned . Lay your fingers across the top of the eggs and rock them back and forth a couple of times . If any of them are cracked and leaking they will be stuck to the tray .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’m the other weird one. If I need four ears of corn, I buy six. Cook them and if any are shitty, out they go. Most of the time I end up with extras that don’t go to waste.

Peeled back corn, I won’t touch. Someone else’s dirty dick beaters already manhandled them.
It’s trash.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Regarding the eggs.

I will open an inspect, and if any are cracked, I will take from "other set aside with cracked eggs carton" to make up a "good" dozen and a half (I always buy 18 at a time).

Doing so, allows me to get a good 19 eggs, and reduce the "waste" of the broken eggs.

But I would not "swap" larger for smaller, only broken/non-broken, so I am not adding to the "non salable" product.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
allows me to get a good 19 eggs
That's sort of like 1.5 baker dozen?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Update: 43 ears down and 7 left since July 1. Cool Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I don't peel back corn myself and will not buy any ears that someone else has. Those who do handle them such, then leave them, effectively rendered the stores merchandise unsaleable.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Best corn is Zellwood Sweet, used to be a big industry of it here, then the save the planet folks took over and went too far as normal, destroyed the industry, put 2000 people out of work.

It's still around, expensive because it's good and demand exceeds supply...

Last Farmer of Zellwood Sweet Corn

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Best corn is Zellwood Sweet, used to be a big industry of it here, then the save the planet folks took over and went too far as normal, destroyed the industry, put 2000 people out of work.

It's still around, expensive because it's good and demand exceeds supply...

Last Farmer of Zellwood Sweet Corn
I miss the Zellwood Corn Festival. In the early 1990s it was sort of like a county fair. Eight bucks / person got you in and included a meal ticket that got you a piece of mystery meat and unlimited refills on corn that had been picked and cooked within the hour, and refills on tea. There were all sorts of handcraft exhibits, music (both kinds, country and western), and a good time was had by all.

Fast forward ten or fifteen years, wife and I and another couple decided to go, admission was up to over thirty bucks each, so we went to Plan B and played tourist in Mount Dora instead. Haven't been back to the corn festival since then, don't even know if it's still a thing.

I do see roadside vendors selling Zellwood corn near the airport, which is located just off U.S. Hwy 441 (North Orange Blossom Trail), right at the Apopka / Zellwood city line.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I don't peel back corn myself and will not buy any ears that someone else has. Those who do handle them such, then leave them, effectively rendered the stores merchandise unsaleable.

You take a peek and if it’s good, you put it in the bag. If you take a peek and it’s not good, then you saved yourself and everyone else from bad corn that wouldn’t have been saleable to begin with.

My wife asked me to pick up some corn. You guys would be proud because I peeled none of them back and bought none of the 8 ears that were there. They were so sad looking it wasn’t even worth it. Nobody else was going to take a chance on that corn either. At the northern tip of the Lower Pennisula, we are probably three states away from good corn anyway.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

...You guys would be proud because I peeled none of them back and bought none of the 8 ears that were there. They were so sad looking it wasn’t even worth it.....

The correct way to choose whether to buy or not.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It's what people do.
I don't let it confront me.

Not sure how, but I can pick ears and always get the "good unz" without having to rip they clothes off a them.

Ima go with the N8tiv in me.

LoL … my wife is “N8tiv”

She does love her corn; although her people call it maize … lol

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard rumors that some people try on shoes before they buy them.

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I've just been lucky but I have never looked at an ear of corn or eggs before buying and in 30 years of shopping I have never had a bad ear of corn and only two broken eggs, ever.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
There is nothing wrong with checking the ears of corn.

But don't expose the corn and then put it back and take another one.

I can keep husked corn three weeks in the frig.

I check egg cartons as well for checked eggs.

Are those eggs from checkered chickens?

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I have heard rumors that some people try on shoes before they buy them.

That's disgusting.

Say it ain't so...

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m going back to taking a peek. All outward indications were this was a good ear:

None of you non-peekers can convince me that if I had taken a peek and not purchased this ear that somehow I magically ruined a sellable ear of corn.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post