SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do you have to pull the husks back on ears of corn
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have to pull the husks back on ears of corn Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted
Giant always has ears of corn on sale during the major holidays....10 for $2.00. You need to get there early or know what time they replenish the supply. The corn is piled on a table for bagging.

It never fails that someone needs to pull the husks back to check the corn then proceeds to take other ears instead of the ears he pulled the husks back.

Yesterday, I saw an older couple pull the husks back and then pierce the kernel with his thumb nail. He did this to several ears and then started bagging husked ears of corn. That was too much so I reminded him of what he had done to ruin corn that no one would buy.

In past years, the corn pile looked like a couple of hogs had gotten there first so you ended up coming back another day or not at all.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Guilty.

I hate overripe corn on the cob. I always check.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I peel back the husks at the top just enough to peak for worms or grubs or whatever those unsightly things are called.

I like a pristine top. But unless I see insects, I usually buy any corn I peek into, even if not pristine.

10 for $2.00? Envy. Best I get is 2 for $1.00 and that's a great price. Usually a buck each. But maybe that's why I look for pristine.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will pull back the husk to check but never touch the kernels. I have found a fair share that have dried out/rotten tips and I through those back on the pile.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I will pull back the husk to check but never touch the kernels. I have found a fair share that have dried out/rotten tips and I through those back on the pile.

This. They aren't mine yet, so I try not to damage them.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's what people do.
I don't let it confront me.

Not sure how, but I can pick ears and always get the "good unz" without having to rip they clothes off a them.

Ima go with the N8tiv in me.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The guy did people a favor by identifying the bad ears, saving them time and money.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I buy em from the farmer and his daughter, a couple of miles down the road.

Nobody messes with their ears of corn and they bag them for you.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The local Publix usually has three separate bins: one each for yellow, white, and bi-color. Yesterday, they were all thrown in one bin, so I saw people opening the ears to look for specific colors.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The local Publix usually has three separate bins: one each for yellow, white, and bi-color. Yesterday, they were all thrown in one bin, so I saw people opening the ears to look for specific colors.

Understandable as I prefer bi-color myself.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Troyer Farm in Stuarts Draft sells Peaches and Cream which is one of the best bi-color varieties of corn.

https://www.troyersfarm.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I open cartons of eggs to be sure none are cracked, and set aside ones that are. This is just a very quick inspection for obvious cracks; I don't remove every egg and examine it. I don't see much difference in checking an ear of corn. Chances are the ones they reject aren't ones you'd want to buy anyway. I wouldn't unwrap the whole ear to check every kernel.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with checking the ears of corn.

But don't expose the corn and then put it back and take another one.

I can keep husked corn three weeks in the frig.

I check egg cartons as well for checked eggs.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
+1. I will not pay for rotten food.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I used to pull back the husks. But I’ve gotten good at picking good corn just by the tightness of the husk at the end and the freshness of the husk. A bit of a squeeze at the tip to check for worm damage seems to be enough.

I haven’t seen a worm in non-organic corn in a long while. Also I always buy extra. At like 6 ears for $2 I can afford to chuck a few.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the corner here is bad and way over priced so there's no need to check it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it’s smart to check things

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I went back today and got 20 more ears. The guy had just finished putting out another box and said the corn was from Georgia.

It was soon gone and the remaining corn was several days old from the appearance of the husks. About half of the remaining corn had the husk pulled down. They normally get 75 cents/ear.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There’s a pile of corn people peeled the husks back, looked at, and rejected. If no one peeled the husks back, the same ears of corn would continually be picked up, tested, rejected, and put back on the pile for the next person to do the same thing to.

I’m missing the issue.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Once you pull the husk back, corn will dry out and be no good whereas the husk protects the ear.

Years ago, Giant would gather the corn that had the husk removed at the end of the day and repackage it.

You see all kinds of people playing with the food. Several years ago in Walmart, a guy has two cartons of Jumbo eggs and is picking the largest eggs and putting them in one carton. Big Grin

Recently at Aldi's, I saw a lady dump out the grapes from a package and then select the best bunch of grapes from other packages.