SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk Login/Join 
posted
I was at Home Depot the other day and rather than wait in a 5 person line I used the self checkout. An employee lerched over me to make sure I rung everything up.

If you have the time to watch me ring my own products the how about you just do it then.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same experience recently at Home Depot. Four self checkout stands, manned by two vest-wearing HD employees closely watching everyone who checked out and a "plainclothes" (but obvious) Loss Prevention employee standing guard and practically blocking the exit from the Self Checkout area.

The intense scrutiny was palpable. Weirdest self-checkout experience I've had so far. HD must be losing their shirt to self-checkout shrinkage, and corporate is putting the screws to the stores to clamp down on it.

But it now means they're paying 3 employees to man 4 self-checkouts, and yet the customer is expected to do 100% of all the checkout work. Why not just pay 3 employees to man 3 regular checkout lines instead, and have less shrinkage and happier customers.

Ridiculous.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My local HD went down to like ONE human-manned checkout counter and what seems like 18 self-checkouts. Rows and rows, 3 deep.

It's just a response to the Left's call for 15 bucks an hour IMO. Self checkout machines happily work for $0/hour wage.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like their self checkouts... in my opinion its one of the best systems out there.
Large screen, cordless gun scanner, picture and description of product, pricing, etc.... all of which you CAN see.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The Lowes here has a section with about eight self checkouts. The employee stationed in the area is far from hovering. they step up quickly when there is an issue and offers to handle the checkout themselves if it's quiet.

The attitude of mostly all of the employees is positive. Down side is I spend more than intended every trip.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The solution to that is to play STUPID. That usually works unless the employee wants to teach you. You then have to act even dumber. They eventually check you out and you beat the five person line.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Location,, location, location.

The one person helping in the self-checkout watches six terminals here and his/her screen (maybe with an overhead camera view?).

When there's less than six people checking out, the person might walk over and see if you need assistance but otherwise, no hassles whatsoever.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
You're doing it wrong. Razz

They "filled up their carts, and simply walked out."

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Home Depot donated to BLM you should avoid them. Also with the number of thefts this time of year should they not be on the lookout for a thief?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the rare occasion I need to use the self checkout at HD, the clerk actually does the checking out on my behalf, because I won't actually use it.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Self checkout for me is a absolute NO GO... When the stores puts me on the employee list and pays me to do their job then might think about it but until then No Way Josey.... Once when a employee got obnoxious with me because I refused to step over to and use a self checkout I just left the buggy in the line I was in and walked away leaving the buggy in line while I left the store. ............. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Shrink at Home Depot is 2 Billion a year. They actually need to do more to stop it. It's not all theft but there is plenty that is.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Self checkout for me is a absolute NO GO... When the stores puts me on the employee list and pays me to do their job then might think about it but until then No Way Josey.... Once when a employee got obnoxious with me because I refused to step over to and use a self checkout I just left the buggy in the line I was in and walked away leaving the buggy in line while I left the store. ............. drill sgt.

Keith you know I love self checkout

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Remember the times and stores when everything was behind the counter and a clerk had to find and pull everything we wanted? And don’t get me started about self-serve gas stations. Unless we live in a workers’ paradise state where the bosses can’t oppress and exploit the consumer (New Jersey?), “Fill her up,” is a distant, distant memory.

Except in unusual situations I much prefer self-checkout wherever I shop. I do things the way I want and avoid the insanity of double-bagging a carton of milk or not putting a carton of oatmeal in the same bag as a bottle of dishwashing detergent.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Remember the times and stores when everything was behind the counter and a clerk had to find and pull everything we wanted? And don’t get me started about self-serve gas stations. Unless we live in a workers’ paradise state where the bosses can’t oppress and exploit the consumer (New Jersey?), “Fill her up,” is a distant, distant memory.

Except in unusual situations I much prefer self-checkout wherever I shop. I do things the way I want and avoid the insanity of double-bagging a carton of milk or not putting a carton of oatmeal in the same bag as a bottle of dishwashing detergent.

I agree completely.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The home despot has to see my military I’d before I can scan anything for a discount. At Lowes I can scan my phone and it gives me the discount w/o anyone bothering me.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
First the Piggly Wiggly got people to loading their own carts, and now the Home Depot has us working the register. Eventually we’ll have to mop the floor and clean the john.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make them do all the work. Homedepot.com

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
two vest-wearing HD employees
To be precise, HD employees wear "aprons" and Lowes employees wear vests. Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Meh. I knew someone was going to say that, but was too lazy to change it once I realized what I put.

Ya'll knew what I meant.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post