SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Depot forces shelf check out then employee watch you like a hawk Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I believe the aprons are bright orange and the vests are blue. Lowes went with a blue motif to try and attract more women.

Posts: 17159 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
^^^ Shoulda been pink.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30525 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I hate self checkout but my wife prefers them. Last week, we were at a grocery store. I looked over and casually asked the other patron bagging their grocery..you new? How long have you been working here? They laughed…my wife didn’t..

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, one thing for those who prefer to let the employees do it to keep in mind is that the rest of us are all the fewer you must wait on in the non-self-serve lines. One of the additional reasons I dislike those lines is because they seem to have a much larger percentage of customers who wait until everything has been rung up and bagged before, “Oh, do I have to pay? [Let me see if I can find my credit card (or better yet, my checkbook) in the bottom of my purse.] And wait; what about my Monopoly tokens?”

But my favorite is, “Oh, hi, Gloria [to the clerk]. How are the kids doing in school and did Joe ever get over the marthambles? That’s such a nasty disease, almost as bad as my anal leakage. I’m trying this new type of pad; will the store take them back if I don’t like them?” and on, and on, and on, ... (and after the purchases have been rung up but before they’re paid for).

On the other hand, I am grateful to those who prefer being waited on and not getting in my way. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good god. Home depot, and every other store, provides self-checkout to move more people through, more quickly, and someone has to bitch about it. Not my job. Not gonna ring up my own sale. Fuck that.

What you need is someone to follow you around the store, push the cart for you, choose your products, lift them into the cart, bag them for you, follow you to the car and put them in, then drive you home, and tuck you into bed.

Self checkout is a burden? Life must be tough.

Yes, they do have someone in the self-checkout area to assist, and from time to time, I use them when a product doesn't ring up, needs looking up, or there's another issue, and usually the person is attentive enough to be there ready to help.

Not everything is a fucking conspiracy with big brother looking over your shoulder.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Good god. Home depot, and every other store, provides self-checkout to move more people through, more quickly, and someone has to bitch about it. Not my job. Not gonna ring up my own sale. Fuck that.

Indeed.

My biggest problem with self check-out is it puts cashiers out of work. Other than that: I'm fine with it--just as I'm fine with pumping my own fuel.

I've never had anybody hover over me, or even pay me any attention, at a self check-out--at any store. Only time they've come over is when I've had an issue or I'm buying beer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25988 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

What you need is someone to follow you around the store, push the cart for you, choose your products, lift them into the cart, bag them for you, follow you to the car and put them in, then drive you home
Which store provides those services? That's where I'm going to shop!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30525 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to call it a Girl Friday. I had one for awhile it is great!

Posts: 17159 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Home Depot, moved the hours from the front end to the sales floor.

Which I find more beneficial because I am smart enough to ring up my own product however I am not always smart enough to know what to buy.

Went to Lowe's the other day to buy a pellet smoker, no one in the grill section at all. Good thing they had five cashiers on the front end even though there was no one to sell me anything.

Went to Home Depot after Lowe's, three associates in the department I know cause they all asked if I needed help.
Still looking for a pellet smoker, associate spoke to me about a Traeger, found a clearance one they had left over. It was in a box, he found an associate to put it together for me and I picked it up a couple hours later. I had to ring myself out at the self checkout cause there was only two cashiers. One of them came over checked my order and offered me loading assistance.

I can tell you which experience I preferred and have no issue when them checking my order cause today I smoked some ribs, lobster, trying a prime rib next weekend.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
Home Depot, moved the hours from the front end to the sales floor.

Which I find more beneficial because I am smart enough to ring up my own product however I am not always smart enough to know what to buy.

Went to Lowe's the other day to buy a pellet smoker, no one in the grill section at all. Good thing they had five cashiers on the front end even though there was no one to sell me anything.

Went to Home Depot after Lowe's, three associates in the department I know cause they all asked if I needed help.
Still looking for a pellet smoker, associate spoke to me about a Traeger, found a clearance one they had left over. It was in a box, he found an associate to put it together for me and I picked it up a couple hours later. I had to ring myself out at the self checkout cause there was only two cashiers. One of them came over checked my order and offered me loading assistance.

I can tell you which experience I preferred and have no issue when them checking my order cause today I smoked some ribs, lobster, trying a prime rib next weekend.

This mirrors my experience with Lowe's and Home Depot.

I once went into Lowe's to buy a 3 foot length of 1/4" brass rod to cut into 2 pieces to make a range rod for long guns and one for handguns.

Asked the only Lowe's employee I could find where it was. He said "we don't carry that."

So I went up and down each aisle and finally found it. Went to the front to check out and the same employee asked me to take him to where it was so he'd know for the future.

I almost told him to go pound sand, but ended up showing him for the benefit of the next customer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I once went into Lowe's to buy a 3 foot length of 1/4" brass rod to cut into 2 pieces to make a range rod for long guns and one for handguns.
I bought mine at the local True Value Hardware. One of the owners of the store cut it into lengths for me, rounded the edges on a buffing wheel, and kept some of it for himself. Of course he and I go to the range to shoot, sometimes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I love the self checkouts at stores around here and use them oftem. I quit shoppping at Walmart for years because every time I went into one they had 2 registers out of 40 opened and would have to wait 20 minutes to buy a quart of motor oil. I went into a Walmart a few months ago and was amazed to see DOZENS of self checkouts with no waiting to get one. I have been back to Walmart several times since.

I have nothing to hide so if they are watching me like a hawk I could care less and understand they are trying to keep costs down which helps keep prices lower too. We are all being watched over a stores video surveilance system too by internal security team.
"
I hate beeing in line where there is a checkout clerk as someone in line always has a problem. "The sign said this Dewals table saw was $39.00" or "can you try these charge cards too" or "I need to refund some stuff" or "you take checks, right?". The self checkouts elimintate these problems. In exchange for me checking out my own stuff I can get the hell out a lot sooner and I am OK with that.

Posts: 9729 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
MallWart is self checkout only here now.

The lines move MUCH quicker where the smart people are and well, the stupid ones are there all day.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Rarely go to either Lowe’s or Home Depot, so can’t comment on their system. But Wife and I shop weekly at Kroger. Unless only a couple of items, we’ll use the regular checkout lane, but with a twist.

I unload cart, cashier scans, wife bags items. I have to watch the cashier closely, as they will “weigh their thumb” on produce items, and forget to scan the paper coupons we’ll use for purchase. As I said, Wife bags the groceries in a manner that makes sense, as we were tired of eggs and bread at bottom of bag and canned goods on top.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Strangely had the exact opposite scenario last week. HD associate took my stuff ran it through self check out for me.

I do sport the Luddite vibe I guess. I was kinda surprised when the wife pointed out we were at self checkout.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Much prefer self checkout, HD has the better system, even though we hit Lowes mostly, it's closer, better traffic access. Local Y'all mart has them, makes the process better, can't say how many times prior to self checkout we had to wait in line for the 3 cashiers open in a 28 lane super store.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
So, you weren't "forced" to use the self check out, you just didn't want to wait in line.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

What you need is someone to follow you around the store, push the cart for you, choose your products, lift them into the cart, bag them for you, follow you to the car and put them in, then drive you home
Which store provides those services? That's where I'm going to shop!

You don't even need to go anywhere. Just order online. They do all the work and deliver the goods to your door. Life is great. Smile

Q

Posts: 26185 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
MallWart is self checkout only here now.

The lines move MUCH quicker where the smart people are and well, the stupid ones are there all day.

I stopped at a neighborhood Walmart in Morgan City, LA and it was all self check out. They saif it wass the only one in La then

Posts: 13011 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
So, you weren't "forced" to use the self check out, you just didn't want to wait in line.

Correct. No one made me use self checkout. I just assume if I’m using self check out I would be by myself. Why is an employee standing over me instead of ringing me out

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post