Main Page
What's Your Deal!
Part 3 - Now my daughter’s phone, Nothing is easy with AppleGo ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Savor the limelight |
She just called and restoring the backup of her old phone on her MacBook to her new phone after updating iOS on the new phone seems to have worked on this fourth try for everything that’s important to her: pictures, messages, videos, etc. An hour of my time three of hers, but at least we didn’t have to call Apple again. | |||
|
| No More Mr. Nice Guy |
I’ve been in the Apple ecosystem for 20 years, starting with an iPhone 4 and got my first iMac in 2007. Hardly any issues backing up or restoring or transferring to a new phone. I don’t know why it is so difficult for your family. | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Have to concur, I've upgraded phones from probably a 4 to a 16, btw it's paid for and I'll upgrade when a new eyephone comes out with something new and exciting or mine dies. Remember when you had to use that stupid iShitty software for music, backups, that was a pain in the buttowski! Now that system had bugs, connectivity issues, but today, you just have to have enough storage space for all the things you want to keep. Last ones I did you got the phone, logged into the iAccount and bobs your uncle.... | |||
|
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…![]() |
Hmm, I disagree. As a very long-time Apple hater who converted to an Apple computers around 2008 or so, the first iPad on release in 2010, and then full fledged FanBoi getting my first iPhone (5) in 2012, I disagree. Absolutely everything I’ve done with Apple with only very minor exceptions (outside of Apple’s control) has been extremely easy. iPhone 5, 6, 8, X, 12, 15, 17 versions and never an issue backing up, restoring, or transferring to the next phone. Same story for multiple iPad iterations as well as Apple Watches for both my wife and I. Sorry you have had such a nightmare with it, but your isolated situation with an apparently unidentified reason does not warrant you definitive claim that Apple is broken or “nothing is easy”. What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand??? | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
By the same token, your isolated success hardly warrants a claim that Apple stuff is easy. I’d think all the people waiting at the Genius Bar might disagree. I never said Apple was broken. I pointed out two maybe three Apple processes that are broken not just according to me, but also to Apple service people and Geniuses. Those people knew about the issues I’ve pointed out which means they are not unidentified either. Just for clarity, I don't hate Apple and I'm pretty much laughing at all the problems I've had at this point. I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but around 2002 I crashed the very first Mac, G3?, I had ever used in the first 30 seconds of using it.This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189, | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
That could also mean that a lot of people are not tech savvy enough to even run an iPhone Or they just like hanging around Apple stores and fingering the products... | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
^^^That’s really what it was. I mean the guy across from us had managed to close his iPhone in a door. The thing was bent almost in an L shape. The person that sat across from us next looked like Mischa Barton in her early 20s. I don’t recall what problem she was having, but I recall feeling sorry for her because she seemed a bit dim. That feeling disappeared when three Geniuses started helping her. It was like watching an episode of "Big Bang Theory" in real life. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
Another hour and a half talking to Apple people on the phone trying to erase my daughter’s phone for the trade in. Almost got it with a three-way call with my daughter 1,230 miles away. Got it almost done, but I have to see the Genius’s 30 miles away at 12:30pm to have them finish the process. I’ve got my fingers crossed that it will work. Admittedly, this is our fault. I told her to erase her phone when she was sure everything was transferred to her new phone. That didn’t happen and she had “Stolen Device Protection” turned on. She had allowed “Familiar Places”, but her phone did not recognize our house, her school, or her job as a familiar place. I actually drove to her school and job to check. Without recognizing a familiar place, her phone required Face ID. In case anyone was wondering, FaceTime doesn’t work. I’ve got 5 more days to send her old phone to Verizon. I’m just lucky I walked into her room and saw the old phone on her empty desk. Now, while I admit we should have done this when she was here and it would have probably/hopefully have been easy, Apple still bears some responsibility here. Yesterday was the first I’ve heard of this feature. I’ve spent hours trying to understand it and don’t. Apple’s explanations are lacking. There’s no explanation as to why the house/room she’s lived in for the last 9 months is not a familiar location. There is a process to that will fix the issue, but that is nowhere to be found without calling them. Even then, it may or may not work. The woman said she helped a person yesterday with the same problem and it worked, but she can’t explain why the same process isn’t working for me and now have to see the geniuses. That leads me to what’s probably my main issue. I figured out how to use my pirated copies of VisiCalc and Word Perfect on the Apple IIe without manuals and without the internet. Once I found I believe it was Open Apple-? and the help menu came up, it was easy. That was the beginning, I’ve been completely self-taught, and figured out a myriad of software, hardware, networking, etc. on my own by reading the manual, using the built in help, consulting the internet, etc. My methods that have served me so well for 45 years do not work with Apple products, at least not since the IIe. I try to read about a feature and Apple’s explanation reads like word salad. It’s not that I’m lazy or incapable of understanding complex subjects and I can still RTFMS fairly well, but everything Apple seems like a foreign language. I recognize bits and pieces but cannot put it all together into something that makes sense. It’s similar to talking to a liberal and I’m just not wired that way. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
2 1/2 hours later I’m back from the Apple Store and the Geniuses were able to get the phone to the point I can send it to Verizon for the trade-in. | |||
|
Member![]() |
Could you simply pass it by a super strong magnet several times and return it to Verizon? Could that erase the phone? _________________________________________________________________________ “A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.” -- Mark Twain, 1902 | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
The Apple Geniuses used two MacBooks because the first one didn’t get it done, but the second one did. It’s now on its way to Verizon. I’m guessing, but if a magnet could wipe an iPhone, I would think it would also render it unusable for trade in. The whole trade in thing is predicated on Verizon being able to sell it to someone else. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 3 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|
Main Page
What's Your Deal!
Part 3 - Now my daughter’s phone, Nothing is easy with Apple
