SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    UPS left package in my Mailbox.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPS left package in my Mailbox. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Not really a rant but...

UPS just left a package in my Mailbox. I thought that was illegal.

Small amazon delivery, UPS ground. Not one of those hybrid deals. I saw the big brown UPS truck stop and him toss it in the mailbox. I don't care otherwise...

I guess it saved him walking up to the house about 130 feet each way while his truck was parked in the road and it is threatening rain but at the front door is sheltered from the rain anyway...

If he is a big enough jack-hole, can't the mail person confiscate anything in the box without USPS postage?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I get things left in my mailbox by UPS. I think it is because they transfer some of their packages to the USPS and then the USPS delivers them.They have a UPS label, but I see the mail carrier dropping them off.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Not really a rant but...

UPS just left a package in my Mailbox. I thought that was illegal.

TTBOMK, it is.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i also get ups packages in the mailbox.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Package delivery companies just can't win.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon and others put things in my mailbox. Technically they shouldn’t but it beats them leaving stuff in bushes, behind the wrong fence, on the street, etc. At this point I’m happy my packages end up somewhere easily found. Don’t think this is federal case worthy.

Posts: 4280 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Mine will do that occasionally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21111 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
So fairly common with some of you and I do have the larger box. I'm fine with it. Hope the mail carrier is if the package beats him here.

They just have never done it here before.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow... just wow.

I'd rather have a package out of sight and out of the weather.

I guess some just need to vent about nothing.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Wow... just wow...

...I guess some just need to vent about nothing.

Andrew

Wasn't venting, said so in the OP... "not really a rant"
and again in my second post... "I'm fine with it"

But I thought it was illegal for them to do so... and it is, so I wondered how common the practice was.

The mail carrier CAN take the package and require you to pay to get it back.
I might be venting then! In this case my package arrived after the mail ran so the mail carrier didn't see it.

The Trump administration was actually proposing a change to allow it.

Here is one case.

...USPS Removes Package from Mailbox, Charges Fee to Get it Back...

Snip:
Amazon will sometimes use special carriers to drop off packages to customers and sometimes they'll put those packages in your mailbox, but a local post office says that's not allowed.
And if it happens, they'll take it.

Snip:
McSweeney had to pay a postage fee to get her package back. She talked to a manager who said:

"No one is supposed to use your mailbox other than the postal service," she said the manager told her. "I said, 'But this is my mailbox, right?' He said, 'It's your mailbox, but it's our conveyance device.'"

Link

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mail carrier CAN take the package and require you to pay to get it back.

I've left stuff in the mailbox that wasn't USPS. Sometimes we have agreements with delivery/mail drivers for the smaller packages to be left in mailboxes, especially if there's an aggressive dog or the house a quite a difficult trek to get to. But even if a package were to be removed, it would be returned to the delivery service for appropriate redelivery.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Wow... just wow.

Wow indeed. Beside the fact he clearly wrote he wasn't venting, what part of it being a violation of federal law is unclear to you?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well...

UPS just dropped a $1,700.03 Amazon order off.
My driveway alarm had alerted me he was here so I met him at the door and said "HI, how you doing?"
Reply was a cheery "Good" as he walked off punching on his clipboard thingy.

Delivery required a signature. He didn't ask for it, I didn't bring it up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
I get things left in my mailbox by UPS. I think it is because they transfer some of their packages to the USPS and then the USPS delivers them.They have a UPS label, but I see the mail carrier dropping them off.

Exactly what i was going to say. In fact, I got one myself this morning. I do not the think the "law" about putting things beside US Mail delivered by the USPS in a mailbox is as black & white as some people think it is.

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:

Exactly what i was going to say. In fact, I got one myself this morning. I do not the think the "law" about putting things beside US Mail delivered by the USPS in a mailbox is as black & white as some people think it is.

Yeah, but this has nothing to do with OP's case. His was UPS Ground direct, not the UnsurePost (UPS) or StupidPost (FedEx) you guys are talking about. Wink

Q

Posts: 26413 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
\

Due to covid they don't require a signature when they get a visual.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
\

Due to covid they don't require a signature when they get a visual.

Oh yea, forgot about having to give 'em 6 feet....
We kind of ignoring that around here.

And no, as stated before it was a UPS end to end shipment. No USPS involved.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Today FEDEX stuffed a small square box into my mail box that just about filled it, there was probably 3/8 of an inch gap.

Fortunately I caught this before our crappy mail woman got there, or she would have not put my mail in my mailbox.

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Better in your mailbox than getting it swiped from your porch.
Wouldn't bother me all.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Better than beer cans, Taco Bell, or human feces.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post