SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who abandon their pets FINAL UPDATE GOOD NEWS!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who abandon their pets FINAL UPDATE GOOD NEWS!!! Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
FINAL UPDATE:

“Max” was put up for adoption a day ago and he has already found a new home! It still irks me that someone would abandon their pet but I’m sure he has a better place now.

Someone has abandoned their pet dog that is clearly older in our neighborhood. My daughters have fed and watered him but we can’t keep him so we are going to have to call animal control. I will never understand the mentality of people who abandon a helpless animal.

Edited to add that he is clearly not a stray or wild animal. His coat is too clean but he has no collar so that is why we think he was abandoned.

[B]EDIT[/B] 
We just got a response to our local community Facebook post. A local pest guy saw him dumped along with another one at the same time. The person who responded posted a picture of the dog we have. They tried to catch him but failed. My middle daughter is very very good with animals and he came to her. He has actually traveled a bit from the city he was dumped off at. Anyway, we are going to go have him scanned for a chip tomorrow. If he has one, I will be calling animal control and filing a report for animal abuse. We do have a local shelter tied into Best Friends who does not euthanize dogs. So we will be contacting them on Monday too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There is a special place in hell for these people.

Look and see if there are any good rescue groups around, some specialize in older dogs. Both of mine are rescues, my wife works with a small local rescue group. They have some terrible stories, but have also found some good homes for many of them.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
My wife just suggested we take him to a shelter. I'm thinking he might have been abused as he is scared of me but is snuggling with my daughters.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Abandoned or escaped?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Don't be so quick to judge. Have him checked for a microchip.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^
Where/how do you check for a microchip?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^

Just about any veterinary can do it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^

For a dog, the chip is usually on there back between shoulder blades. Any vet can check. They just wave a reader over the area. No distress to the dog at all.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy pull into the median grass strip on I95 in Philly and got out with his dog tossed him a ball then took off leaving the dog. I made a uturn but got stuck on the median. I was getting out to try and save the dog when it got slammed by a car. If I would have caught that ahole I’m not sure how bad i would have been beaten him.

Posts: 72 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^

Vets, animal control, rescue shelters all should have a scanner.
Check the laws where you live but here in GA a found dog has to go to the county animal control first and be on a stray hold for a certain number of days before a rescue can accept.

Posts: 9450 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoatsNbullets:
I saw a guy pull into the median grass strip on I95 in Philly and got out with his dog tossed him a ball then took off leaving the dog. I made a uturn but got stuck on the median. I was getting out to try and save the dog when it got slammed by a car. If I would have caught that ahole I’m not sure how bad i would have been beaten him.

I am sincerely sorry you had to see that. If you had caught up with him a jury should have surely understood. Mad

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yes, There's a special place in hell for them.

On the other side of that coin:
There's got to be a special place in Heaven for people like BB61 and his family. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
A large black and white hound showed up at my house about two weeks ago. I found her lying in a ditch and she would not move. I tried to approach but she let me know not to. It took me three days to get her to take any food. She is starving and has been injured but I can not get closer than 10 feet to her. I now get her to eat twice a day. I will just keep trying until I can catch her. At this point I do not know what happened to her but I will not let her starve.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1484 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had three cats that were dumped on my property many years ago. I had cans of cat food that I kept in my truck for trapping raccoons.

I would feed the cats when I saw them but they were very wild. I would set there and talk to them when they were eating but they would not come close and flee if you got too close.

Due to the foxes around, I could not leave food out. I did manage to trap one in a Havahart trap one day. On the way to Animal Control, I stopped at the house to give the cat some water. I no more opened the trap to place a bowl of water inside and the cat shot out like a rocket.

Not sure what happened to the other two cats.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Scanned and no chip. One of the Miss BB61's friends has expressed some interest. I offered to pay 1/2 of all costs to adopt him including neutering if she took him. He really is a sweet animal and this breaks my heart to see this.

posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago, GF and I took in an abandoned declawed spayed female long haired tabby. Cat had lived in a dampster and was being fed lunch food by local construction workers.

The cat did stink and was given a bath by me, thank goodness it was declawed.

Ex GF ended up with the cat that lived another 10 years.

My point, what son of a bitch would abandon a declawed cat?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Updated in first post.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yes, There's a special place in hell for them.

On the other side of that coin:
There's got to be a special place in Heaven for people like BB61 and his family. Wink

I stand by what I say!

BB61 & Family- Thanks!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I had three cats that were dumped on my property many years ago. I had cans of cat food that I kept in my truck for trapping raccoons.

I would feed the cats when I saw them but they were very wild. I would set there and talk to them when they were eating but they would not come close and flee if you got too close.

We had a crippled cat show up at our home several months back. We spent a lot of time trying to win him over. It took forever for him to trust us. Our patience was rewarded. We can pet and even pick him up now. His name is Charlie.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Great news in the adopted pup! I know this is a slight thread drift, but ragman, what happened to ditch dog?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5280 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post