SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Mexican" Chain Burritos: I Just Don't Get It
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Mexican" Chain Burritos: I Just Don't Get It Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Had a burrito last night from this chain called California Tortilla and it's like all the others I've tried from Moe's, Shitpotle, etc: it's this huge fat thing with about a pound of friggen' rice, an ounce of veggies and MAYBE a half ounce of meat. Oh and the "generous " tablespoon of sour cream is all the way at one end.

I don't get this at all, what is the draw of this crap? It's all garbage, pretending to be "Mexican" or "Tex-Mex" food. And it's not even that cheap anymore so you're paying a lot of $ for rice rolled up in a gummy wrap.

UGH

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid the chains. Look for a Mexican restaurant in a converted gas station where an elderly woman is in the kitchen making tortillas from scratch.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here we have a lot of " Taquerias . Food trucks or trailers that sell real deal Mexican food . Good food at fair prices .

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Look for that place where you are afraid to look in the kitchen, That's where the good burritos and other good food is found.....

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago the boss bought lunch for the shop. They had a local "highly rated" Mexican food truck come in. There tacos and tamales were excellent but the burritos were as you described. Huge but 99% rice with a small amount of meat sprinkled in.

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well its a Cali-Tortilla, not Mexican.... Big Grin

Some of the best Mexican food I found in Tulsa when we lived there back in the late 80's, probably made by people from Mexico who moved into the area.

We have a few of those places here now, and the food is good.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I hit Moe's at least once a week, all of the food is right there in front of you for you to see and watch them build your colon blow. Yummmm

No, it's not Mexican, no tongue or innards available

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The guy who started Chipotle worked at Stars restaurant in San Francisco, a high-power eatery for the well connected. Like many other chefs in town, he ate his fair share of Mission District burritos, filled with rice, beans, carne asada, pico de gallo, guacamole, etc. At the time, nobody really was making these kind of burritos in the rest of the country. So this guy decided to start his own little place in Colorado, and eventually became the Chipotle we now know, with a lot of copycats following.

BTW, those Mission District burritos were far better than Chipotle.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Rice should be on the side, not in the burrito.
I won't buy burritos made mostly of rice.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If I know where a Mexican restaurant is, I can't see going to a national Mexican chain restaurant.

On the other hand, up until recently when I found a really great pizza place, I would regularly eat Domino's, Costco or any other pizza.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19641 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
These chain resturants food options have become "Americanized"... And the food has been watered down nowadays..... drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Taco trucks… The authentic ones

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do they not list what’s in the burrito on the menu? If it says rice, then just don’t get it.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Do they not list what’s in the burrito on the menu? If it says rice, then just don’t get it.

Right?
I never understand why people knowingly trade their money for things they don't like. Then complain about it like they had no choice.

Pro tip:
Chipolte...
Steak soft tacos
Steak only (no beans or rice fillers)
Green chili salsa
Lettuce, cheese, and sour cream
F@#$ the burrito. This is where it's at. Cool

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Right?
I never understand why people knowingly trade their money for things they don't like. Then complain about it like they had no choice.

Pro tip:
Chipolte...
Steak soft tacos
Steak only (no beans or rice fillers)
Green chili salsa
Lettuce, cheese, and sour cream
F@#$ the burrito. This is where it's at. Cool

Am I the only one who knows that you can specify your burrito with or without rice at Chipotle?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
These chain resturants food options have become "Americanized"... And the food has been watered down nowadays..... drill sgt.

I know Mexicans who like to eat at Chipotle. They consider it American food.

When I go get pepperoni rolls, I don't pretend I'm eating authentic Italian food.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Chipotle?
You left E. Coli off the ingredient list.
Cool

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Chipotle?
You left E. Coli off the ingredient list.
Cool

They quit serving that quite a while back as it wasn't very popular.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
LOL what does Kommiefornia know about good Mesican Food anyway?

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess you haven't been to CA lately, a state populated by a shit ton of Mexicans, both legal and illegal.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post