SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Silliest Amazon customer service decision I’ve had.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silliest Amazon customer service decision I’ve had. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Ordered an Apple Watch on Saturday for the wife for our anniversary this Sunday. I knew very well prime days were coming. But I couldn’t risk it being late or not available. So it went on sale today for $50 less. I chatted with Amazon and requested the $50 credit. No go. They won’t honor their own sale price.

I explained that they would be paying return shipping and also shipping a new one as my plan was to return and reorder at the sale price. Still they wouldn’t refund. So UPS is coming to pickup one and deliver another tomorrow. Makes no sense.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Had a similar conversation with a TV mount I ordered.
But Amazon said to call the mfg.
I did.
All I needed to do is for them to send some screws.
They couldn't do that and I gave the same speech on cost effectiveness to the company, didn't matter.
I sent it back and reordered another.
Confused

Posts: 22849 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Wife ordered an inflatable hot tub, 539 saturday.... $389 today... They would not budge... we are paying $11.89 for UPS to pick it up at house, and saving $140 for new one to be delivered tomorrow...

Somewhere it makes sense, but I don't know where that is.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem to make sense. Unless perhaps they have some policies to guard against internal loss theft. I don't know, like preventing CS from giving discounts to friends and family on the side?

I wonder what costco or nordstrom do in these cases (I know they give you the post sale discount if you go in, not sure about just online though).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Somehow I don’t have to pay return shipping. I chose “found at lower price” for return.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
We are only paying to have UPS pick it up at the house due to its weight.

Would have been free if we took it in.

But, 30 minutes each way, it is heavy, and life is crazy now... worth the $12, esp since we are saving $140 ish.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Funny about the rules, probably a reason, easier to process returns and resales than issue credits and at the end of the month spending time to run adjustments back against sales.

Sale - Transaction 1
Return - Transaction 2
Sale - Transaction 3

Clean, simple easier to track in accounting

Posts: 23218 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Willing to bet good money that these immedate return items will not re-enter the supply chain but diverted in to the return system then be sold off in large lot sales for pennies on the true dollar value... Even if the package was returned unopened. ........ drill sgt.

Posts: 1947 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Not everything on Amazon are "created equal".

Some items are sold AND shipped by Amazon, some are sold by "X" and shipped by Amazon and others are sold by "X" and shipped by "X".

I think Amazon has more flexibility with items THEY both sell AND ship.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
Not everything on Amazon are "created equal".

Some items are sold AND shipped by Amazon, some are sold by "X" and shipped by Amazon and others are sold by "X" and shipped by "X".

I think Amazon has more flexibility with items THEY both sell AND ship.

Yes, true. But they still won't price match their own prices.

I've encountered this plenty of times. I've tried my best to be helpful in saving them money.

But, no go. Return the item, replace with the new item.

My guess is that it's to keep the CS representatives from just printing money out in price adjustments or refunds. An item return acts as a physical token that must be received before the refund is issued. The CS agent has no part in that--the system automatically issues the refund when the item is logged as having been received.

Even if an item is damaged or missing pieces, they'll ask for the item to be returned. They'll ship the new item out, but won't give you credit for the defective item until they log the return.

Sometimes Amazon will let you keep the item and issue you a refund anyway--likely a threshold dollar amount that the CS agent can work with or if it's a third-party item where the third party has accepted the loss rather than pay for shipping and restocking.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same issue. The customer service rep was the one who told me to return it and send the original back. I had already opened and installed the original. He said they don't know which one is which and to send the new one back for the return. I saved $50 and Amazon spent how much for the return process.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if an item is damaged or missing pieces, they'll ask for the item to be returned.

not 100% accurate,

had them tell me to keep a few things that were broken, and, the one shipment where the item was lost in transit due to poor packaging by Amazon, can't return what didn't show up, box showed up, picture of the box on the porch was there, nothing in the box...

Also had a couple of low buck items they just credited and said keep it...

Posts: 23218 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

They'll ship the new item out, but won't give you credit for the defective item until they log the return.
Do they "log the return" when they actually receive the item? Or do the log it when it starts its journey with the return shipper.

Every time that I have returned an item via an Amazon return facility, such as Kohl's or The UPS Store, the facility scanned the item into the system and I saw the credit with hours, if not minutes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30537 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every time that I have returned an item via an Amazon return facility, such as Kohl's or The UPS Store, the facility scanned the item into the system and I saw the credit with hours, if not minutes.

Same here, we use the local UPS store, drop it off, have it scanned and in a few hours get a text that they have credited the account.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

They'll ship the new item out, but won't give you credit for the defective item until they log the return.
Do they "log the return" when they actually receive the item? Or do the log it when it starts its journey with the return shipper.

In most instances, when you return to UPS Store or Kohl's, Amazon counts that as having been received by Amazon. In those instances, the UPS Store and Kohls is acting as agents for Amazon.

In some instances, such as returning a gift that you received with a gift receipt, Amazon won't give you credit until they receive it--even if you return to Kohls/Amazon.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Both of these watches were shipped and sold by Amazon. Usually I get a refund as soon as they have tracking showing it’s been shipped back. I don’t have an answer on this one yet because UPS picked it up yesterday and left a tracking slip. However UPS tracking still shows it has not picked up. Not sure what’s up with that.

These go to eleven.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

UPS tracking still shows it has not picked up. Not sure what’s up with that.
UPS guy: "Watch? I don't know anything about a watch."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30537 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

UPS tracking still shows it has not picked up. Not sure what’s up with that.
UPS guy: "Watch? I don't know anything about a watch."

I was thinking that. But he left the tracking slip. Anyhow it’s now tracking as on its way.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
...I chatted with Amazon and requested the $50 credit...

Was this over the phone or an email chat? I could not find a phone number on their site.

I ordered a Timex running watch from them, it came fast but with a dead battery. Return was easy, the replacement watch came fast. Also with a dead battery. Now I'm waiting for the credit to show on our MasterCard.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I tried to let y’all know by posting in the Amazon prime thread that things get much cheaper after prime day stops. I experienced it with a $10,000 order last year.

$2000 telescope dropped the $1200. 8K TV fell another thousand dollars.

I canceled the entire first order and re-ordered at the cheaper prices.

Prime day is a scam. I was a member since 1999 as well. No more.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post