SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Things That Shouldn't be Sweet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things That Shouldn't be Sweet Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Sweet salad dressing (or at least a kind not supposed to be sweet) is gross too. Why did they turn blue cheese or ranch or Italian into pancake syrup? Why???

Hmmm. Blue cheese syrup and pancakes? Can I get that with a side of thick crispy bacon? Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Coffee, except very specific styles like Vietnamese, Greek or Turkish.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Beer. Some micro brewery thought glazed donut flavored beer would be a good idea. I couldn't even finish the small sample the bar provided.

While donut beer sounds terrible, I'm not opposed to certain styles of beer having a bit of sweetness.

For example, some IPAs feature citrusy/tropical fruit flavors, as opposed to the skunky/piney/grassy kind of IPAs.

And most Belgian Wit wheat beers have a hint of orange sweetness, since they're traditionally brewed with orange peel added.

Plus German hefeweizen wheat beers are often slightly sweet. (In the same way that some artisan breads are slightly sweet.)

But none of those are overly sweet.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Anything and everything with high fructose corn syrup in it.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Sweet salad dressing (or at least a kind not supposed to be sweet) is gross too. Why did they turn blue cheese or ranch or Italian into pancake syrup? Why???

Hmmm. Blue cheese syrup and pancakes? Can I get that with a side of thick crispy bacon? Smile

I did see a recipe for pancakes that had grated gruyere in the batter and were served with maple syrup that I thought sounded pretty good…

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
Margarita’s and Mai Tai’s should not be sweet or even have a hint of sweetness.

They are both usually too sweet but to say no hint of sweetness is not really accurate. Mai Tai has orgeat (almond syrup) no matter what recipe and margaritas have orange liqueur, be it triple sec or curacao. These add some sweetness.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:

They are both usually too sweet but to say no hint of sweetness is not really accurate. Mai Tai has orgeat (almond syrup) no matter what recipe and margaritas have orange liqueur, be it triple sec or curacao. These add some sweetness.

You are right on those ingredients, but my point is even with those sweet ingredients, the drinks should be balanced so you don’t taste sweetness.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Ice Tea (Southerners are just plain wrong)

Them's fightin words!

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:

You are right on those ingredients, but my point is even with those sweet ingredients, the drinks should be balanced so you don’t taste sweetness.

Completely agree. Well balanced cocktails are kind of my thing these days. Been making tons of classics. Too many really.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on beer. I was once served a Guiness with ice cream and chocolate syrup in it. I nearly vomited.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frozen flag poles

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I was watching one of those idiotic BBQ competition shows once. The guy pulled out a brisket to wrap it which is bad enough but then said these judges are looking for that sweet bite and proceeded to put brown sugar and butter on the brisket! Guy should be beat with a bag of batteries for disrespecting the animal like that and should have a restraining order issued to never get within 200 yards of any BBQ equipment.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I was watching one of those idiotic BBQ competition shows once. The guy pulled out a brisket to wrap it which is bad enough but then said these judges are looking for that sweet bite and proceeded to put brown sugar and butter on the brisket! Guy should be beat with a bag of batteries for disrespecting the animal like that and should have a restraining order issued to never get within 200 yards of any BBQ equipment.

I don’t understand the propensity in general to slather sugar all over pork, it’s already a sweet type of meat. And on beef? That’s just a crime.

I did some judging at a semi-amateur rib competition and nearly every single rib was disgustingly SWEET, not a hint of acidity to be found to balance out the flavors. It was all sugar sugar sugar

GROSS

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Buttered popcorn. Jelly Belly Buttered Popcorn jellybeans are gag-inducing.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Certain pizza crusts are also sweetened. This is a foul abomination. Whoever thought this up needs to be handcuffed, his dick put in a vise, & the room set on fire.

I guess it's not just the pizza crust now. We had some pizza from MOD Pizza, and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the ingredients on one of their "specials". I thought it was just pepperoni, jalapeno, mozarella, with a standard red sauce, but they freaking drizzed honey over the top of the damn thing. I'm one of those people who does actually like sweet foods from time to time, but this was freaking horrible.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Sweet pickles for sure but the most vile and disgusting "food" item is Easter Bunny sugar Peeps - especially the Marshmallow ones!!!

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cornbread definately

Posts: 899 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post