SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rayovac AA batteries. Grrr.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rayovac AA batteries. Grrr. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
If there was a Battery Association award for Most Likely to Leak, I think it would go to either Rayovac or maybe -- just maybe -- the Radio Shack batteries on my shelf. And the Radio Shack ones might get a pass, because they're at least 5 years old.

I got a notification from one of the devices in the house that one of the others wasn't communicating. The first natural step was to check the batteries. Four Rayovac AA batteries in there, two of them leaking. I swear, these things must be wrapped in cheesecloth or something. I've never seen Duracell or Energizer so eager to leak. Good grief, half the new ones in my stock are leaking already.

Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Buy lithium I have never seen those leak.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've never had any brand fail to leak. I think perhaps, possibly, Energizer less than the others, but all alkaleaks are prone to leaking.

That's why I never use 'em anymore. Even the ones that come free with products. Free alkaleaks get set aside for temporary use, or until they naturally expire, and either Eneloop or Energizer NiMH, or Energizer Lithium primaries get installed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Where I work these same AAs have leaked in 3 devices in last 3 months. We're never buying those again, and threw out the unused ones.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rayovac has been crap for years .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
For AA batteries I use

Panasonic Eneloop LSD Ni-MH
Panasonic Carbon Zinc (clocks)
Panasonic Platinum or Plus Power Alkaline (only for temporary use like a label maker, etc)
Energizer Lithium Iron Sulfide (high drain applications)

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Lithium or rechargeable are pretty much all I have used for at least a decade or more. No leaks, no muss no fuss.

I might use the free set of akalines that come with something (MIGHT) but generally everything has Lithium or Eneloops/Eneloop clones in it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good results with Aldi and Amazon batteries, never a leak.

This was a good reminder that I need to go around and test all my sealed battery smoke detectors and change out the AA’s and test my CO detectors, I always do this on Jan 1 of each year.

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Rayovac has been crap for years .

I’ve always regarded Rayovac as crap, they are clearly inferior to Energizer and Duracell, they’re barely above dollar store batteries.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rayovac AA batteries. Grrr.

Thanks a lot, I just bought an 8-pack of AAs. Razz I did buy them because they were cheap, and are adequate for low(er) priority items like my cordless computer mouse and TV remote.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All brands of alkaline batteries leak. This is an inevitability. We had to just live with it in the past because there wasn't an economical alternative for batteries like AA/AAA/etc., but that's no longer the case.

Don't use alkaline batteries in anything that you care about, especially if they're going to be sitting unused for periods of time. NiMH or Lithium batteries are only slightly more, and don't leak.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I changed to Duracell a decade ago because they were the least leak-prone. Now they leak in everything, and even just sitting there on their own.

So it's back to Energizer. I use Panasonic Eneloops or Energizer Lithium in most things now, but my travel stuff all has alkalines because of airline rules.

And since when did Lithium batteries become HAZMAT items? The issue of spontaneous combustion is with lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. Yet now if I buy anything with so much as a 2032 coin cell in it, the package arrives with all manner of warning stickers for "OMG LITHIUM!".

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had some Rayovac leak several years ago and I contacted the company. The lady on the phone said a shipment had been in a truck or railroad car or whatever that sat in the sun for too long.

She sent me twice a many new batteries as I had bought old batteries. I have not had a problem since.

Rayovac was recently purchased by Energizer.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Rayovac was recently purchased by Energizer.

Wow, that's interesting! Wonder if that will help Rayovac's quality record?

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m old enough to remember going to Radio Shack every month and getting my free 9Volt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I've never seen Duracell or Energizer so eager to leak. Good grief, half the new ones in my stock are leaking already.

Hate to break this to you, but Duracell alkalines also suck.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8260005784

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2460071434

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1820044954

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh - I only use Rayovacs - the only batteries I've had leak in the past 5 years were duracells that came with the device (headlamp) - completely ruined it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree with whoever said all alkaline batteries are prone to leak.

Never leave them in a device you don't use frequently, so that you use up and throw the dead batteries away relatively quickly.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post