SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Duracell Alkaline Batteries Crap?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Duracell Alkaline Batteries Crap? Login/Join 
posted
We've had Duracell AAs in several devices that have leaked badly. The latest were back ups in a weather radio that would have been used infrequently during power outages. The expiration date was 2023 so they weren't terribly old. I thought Duracell was a good brand, is this typical for all alkalines?

We've had good luck with Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AAAs and am considering relpacing all of our alkalines with Eneloops.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All alkaline batteries are prone to leaking.

Duracell's are better than most (or at least they were back before I abandoned alkaline batteries altogether), but that doesn't change the reality of alkaline batteries.

Skip the alkaline batteries in any electronics that matter, and instead use nickel-metal batteries like your Eneloops, or lithium batteries like Energizer Ultimate or Duracell Ultra. Well worth the slightly higher price.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't use alkaline batteries at all, any more, with the exception of 9V and the little coin cell/button batteries.

I use Eneloop and Energizer NiMH rechargeable AA and AAA batteries in things that are used frequently (e.g.: TV remotes) and Energizer primary lithium AA and AAA batteries in things that are used infrequently (e.g.: my shooting earpro).

I don't even use the alkaline batteries that come free in new TV remotes and the like.

Too many leaking incidents.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
They certainly seem to have gotten worse. I used (5+ years ago) to ONLY use Duracell batteries, and used tons of them, and very, very rarely had any leak - like once or twice in 10 years and hundreds of batteries.

Over the last couple of years I have had Duracell batteries leak at least 10 times while using fewer batteries than I used to.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many years Duracell's never leaked. About 6 to 8 years ago ALL Duracells I purchased leaked badly after a year or two. I switched to the cheapist Ray O Vac at Walmart & never again had a problem. I now use Energizer Lithium & have no problems.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I don't use alkaline batteries at all, any more, with the exception of 9V and the little coin cell/button batteries.

Yep. Considering lithium batteries are only about $1 more apiece, it's well worth the small extra cost to avoid having to deal with leaks.

Lithium batteries can also be stored for longer without self-discharging.

Win-win.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve had unused Duracell batteries leak in the package before their expiration date.

They USED to be good.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
At the recent Sig 365EDC event I spoke to the owner of Targets USA who modifies CED shot timers to work with Praxctiscore on Tablets. He will not recommend or use Duracell batteries. The problems of them leaking became too widespread. I've had several leak over a period of time. Lithium is used in everything these days. I buy them in bulk.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
They're junk.

3 days ago I phoned Duracell because they ruined one of my Pulse OXs.

The batterires were put in about 2 months ago and are dated with good through March 2027. They leaked and ruined it.

They're sending me a check for $19.00 to buy a new pulse ox.

I should have thrown out all of my Duracell batteries. I had these and figured I'd leave them in for a few months then replace them.

I've been buying the Everready Energizer Lithiums in AA & AAA, they can't leak, they claim, because they are a different chemistry entirely.

It's just sick how many things have been ruined because of Duracell crappy batteries. Remotes, flashlights, whatever. They suck.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was replacing the corroded AAs with some relatively new (Exp date 2029) Duracells that were still in the package. One of them was badly corroded on the negative end. They were purchased a year or two ago.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I switched most everything to Eneloop's a few years ago. The couple things that I use alkaline's in don't have batteries in them unless I'm using them (multimeter, studfinder, etc.) Even with those I've bought Energizer because Duraleaks seem to leak all the time for me.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. Duracells were once very good, but not so much now. I have had several pieces of gear that had them installed and all were damaged by leakage. I use Energizer now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Energizer>Duracell. Duracell's leak much more often in my experience.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duracells have ruined some of my stuff by leakage. I don’t buy them anymore. Energizer Lithium at Sam’s Club only in my precious electronics.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Echoing the other replies. We're using lithium primaries or Eneloop rechargables. They don't call alkalines "alkaleaks" for nothing.

Posts: 702 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We had a huge problem with Duracells when living in Hawaii, including ruining remotes and a flash unit.
Now use Energizers, so far have not had a leak.
For critical uses (e.g. photo equipment) use Energizer lithium batteries.
My wife just now found a Duracell leaking in an electric candle. Expiration date 3/2027.
I told her she must not buy more Duracells at Costco no matter how cheap.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always bitching about unreliable Chinese products, so it was disappointing to see they are "Assembled in USA", whatever that means.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I've lost so many things due to duracell batteries leaking, I will no longer use them.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve read several threads similar to this one. They bemuse me.

I use many Duracell alkaline batteries. Lots of AA, several D, one 9V (for my Fluke multimeter). I don’t recall any leaks. A couple of years ago I did switch to Duracell Procell AA batteries because they seemed to last longer.

I replace all of my batteries with fresh ones every two years, even if they’ve had little use. And I keep my stock of unused batteries in my refrigerator. I’m not married. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’ve had unused Duracell batteries leak in the package before their expiration date.

They USED to be good.

I've had this same experience and have written off Duracell alkalines. I've had better luck w/ generic alkalines from Harbor Freight and Dollar Tree than w/ Duracells.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post