SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Our Fair City's New Policy On Recycling. I Am Not Making This Up.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Fair City's New Policy On Recycling. I Am Not Making This Up. Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I was told by our county they no longer recycle glass.
The county told us there are no glass recycling plants left in Florida

That's interesting? Which county? Here in Orange County there has been no change. I throw cardboard, plastic, aluminum and glass all in the same 96 gallon can.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
That's interesting? Which county? Here in Orange County there has been no change. I throw cardboard, plastic, aluminum and glass all in the same 96 gallon can.
I'm in Seminole County, just north of you. Our recycling is picked up by the city -- Altamonte Springs. They still take glass, metal, cardboard, plastic and paper. The only recent change is shredded paper, that is no longer accepted, as of last week.

I asked the rep at the city about this, as the city website still says shredded paper is OK.

The reply? "Oh, the website has not been changed yet."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

We live in unincorporated Polk County.
this is what they say they take on their website

Aluminum cans
Steel cans or containers
Cardboard boxes,cereal boxes, cardboard egg cartons only.
Newspaper, un coated paper, paper products.
Most gallon and half gallon, translucent plastics, milk, juice or water jugs they say no colored or clear plastics.

This is what they say about glass on their website however this is what we were not originally told.
We were told no one wanted or would take it anymore.

They say glass breaks easily during the collection process and compromises other viable materials in the roll cart making it useless.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Couple years back, one of my recycle bins were left full and all the neighbors were taken. (I have two)

I always set them close to the curb, sorted, rinsed cans and glass and plastic, boxes flattened. Had been doing it this way for years, and no issues, until this last time.

Next pickup, I set both bins and separated all the cardboard and glass in one, and plastic and metal in the other. Same thing, my two bins were left.

Tossed everything into the trash, except a few pieces of cardboard and plastic, and separated them in the two bins next pick up. They did not touch it.

Recycle bins became storage for the lawn chemicals and paint cans.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a good chance that your vet or humane society would be interested. I also noticed bags of shredded paper were sold on Amazon. Probably surplus from Ollie North.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Do you all have human or mechanical bin dumpers that come and pick up the bins?

Over here, we have the giant mechanical arms attached to the side of the trucks that lift the bins and dumps them into the top of the hopper. unless there's cameras up there that I don't know about, I can't imagine how they can tell what's being dumped from each household.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have the mechanical thingys for household trash, and just plastic box-like containers for recycle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that shredded paper does not work because of the way the sorting machines are designed. It all just falls through with the other things that aren't recyclable.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

The only recycle products that are profitable are metal and cardboard.. The rest not so much.

Not cardboard around here. The local power sports store receive a LOT of cardboard boxes every day. I was there a few months back when their worker was loading that weeks broken down boxes in their large trailer. He said they generally have two trailer loads a week which he drives to their warehouse location to burn, otherwise they'd have to pack it in their dumpsters then pay to have them dumped daily. And as I mentioned it is perfect clean cardboard. The waste contract which includes managing the city's "recycling program" mandates that for residences, paper must be picked up as recycling but they don't have to offer this to business' and it all goes to the landfill anyway.
I still believe glass could be pulverized to be used for filters etc., heck even added to asphalt for little to no cost would at least save transporting it to, and filling, landfills.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post