SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Our Fair City's New Policy On Recycling. I Am Not Making This Up.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Fair City's New Policy On Recycling. I Am Not Making This Up. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My wife is big on recycling. She had to clear out her old office at work, when they moved to smaller quarters, so she has been shredding stacks and stacks of paper.

This morning, she happened to be looking outside when the city recycle collecting truck came by and she watched the guy take a couple of sacks of shredded paper from our recycle bins and move them to the trash bin.

I contacted the city's Public Works department to find out what's going on.

The reply that I received states that there has been a recent change: they no longer accept shredded paper for recycling.

The will take sheets of paper for recycling, but if you run the same paper through the shredder, it is no longer acceptable for recycling.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only thing that comes to mind is, shredded paper takes up a lot of space.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local system is the same. Frustrating when you're trying to protect against identity theft.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got told at work that we need to use the recycling and not just throw everything in the trash. So I tried to change my ways. One night I was using the shredder and it filled up. So I dumped it in the recycling bin...I mean, it's paper, right? Got told not to do that again because they won't take it. I'm back to just putting everything in the trash can.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of getting a Weber kettle type charcoal grill. Does shredded paper (strips, not cross-cut) work well for starting?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's because it's harder to read if the paper is shredded.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Does shredded paper (strips, not cross-cut) work well for starting?

It certainly does!.

Shreds are wonderful for starting the "patio campfire," too. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Our local recycling company has the same policy, and has from the get-go. No shredded paper. I'm kind of pleased about it. When the truck turns the can upside down to dump it, there is a one foot or so gap between the can and the truck. On a windy day (which most days here), small, light things get blown around rather than going into the truck. Shredded paper, dryer sheets, plastic bottle caps, etc. all create litter if they're in the recycle bin. I doubt that's the reason they don't want shredded paper, though. Probably something to do with difficulty recycling it.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Ours used to take it, if it was bagged in grocery-store paper bags and stapled shut.

They changed last year, which seemed odd, so I called to confirm.

They said, yep the only place we take shredded paper is at special events which we're not holding at present, so, put it in with the trash.

I didn't think to ask why at the time, but I did Google around and found this explanation from a recycler as to why they stopped taking shreds:

quote:
Did you know that shredded paper is not accepted in most curbside recycling programs? Though paper is recyclable, shredded paper presents a unique problem: the tiny shreds simply can’t make it through the recycling sorting process. Instead, they gum up the machinery or cause a paper confetti explosion. Even if you put it in a bag many recyclers won’t accept it.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I was told by our county they no longer recycle glass.
I thought glass could be recycled over and over again.
The county told us there are no glass recycling plants left in Florida and no one wants it.
I am waiting for them to stop recycling all together, not sure how much money can be made doing it.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but that's nothing. Before we left California, the city where we were staying already had separate bins for yard clipping, recyclables, and regular garbage. That's been pretty standard for years. The new twist is there's a new rule where dirty regular garbage has to be separated from clean regular garbage.

I didn't bother learning how to tell the difference from dirty regular garbage from clean regular garbage.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When China stopped accepting other countries’ recyclables for processing about 3 years ago, that was effectively the end of most consumer oriented recycling programs. It’s just taken a while to become obvious as the green crowd attempted to keep recycling going as long as possible. When it ceases to be profitable, it stops. Follow the money.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my environmentally-conscious wife enrolled us in a recycling program with our trash service. We actually paid an extra monthly fee for this. Three plastic bins, one for glass, one for aluminum cans, one for newspapers.

They stopped taking brown glass, only accepting clear or green. Then they stopped taking green. Finally, they stopped taking clear.

Next they wanted only the newsprint pages, not the slick-finished or colored stuff. Then they stopped picking up paper completely, wanted everyone to drive it to their recycling center (15 miles each way) and put it into a huge container.

They announced that they would take aluminum cans only if they had been rinsed out, no residue (beer, pop, etc). One of the guys at my VFW post scavenges aluminum cans wherever he can find them, so I bag them up and throw them in my truck, give them to him when I see him.

The only thing that remained was the monthly fee for the recycling program (which I stopped paying). I did get three good sturdy plastic bins, suitable for storing all sorts of stuff in the garage.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a “naughty, naughty” “Notice of Violation” hang tag on my recycle bin Monday. Of course, since they just have nonspecific check boxes on the tag, they checked off “over sized items” and “lid not closed” and “items on top of bin lid.” All of these things were patently false. I had to email my council person who sent a referral to Sanitation to learn my shredded paper was unacceptable. I’ve put it in there for years. I know this must be a fairly recent change. The recycle has been a joke anyway. It was supposed to save us money, then they had to increase fees because it wasn’t profitable. Few of my neighbors even have the recycle bin. I just do it because it saves me money on trash bags.

Posts: 391 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
A while back Waste Management started telling us that we can toss scrap food in with the yard debris bin. Presumably it all goes into the same compost heap anyway. I don't throw very much food away, usually only what gets left in the fridge too long and becomes inedible or starts to smell bad. I can't imagine putting that stuff in the yard debris bin and letting it sit there for up to two weeks until the next time they pick it up. Especially in the summer. Eek

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

I was told by our county they no longer recycle glass. I thought glass could be recycled over and over again. The county told us there are no glass recycling plants left in Florida and no one wants it.
The shortage of Claussen pickles is being attributed to the lack of recycled glass.

We need to circulate a petition to bring glass recycling back, so that I can get my Claussen Garlic Pickle fix.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I do not know how much paper your wife had to shred. I burned up a shredder in one night. I finally decided to pay a company to pick up the forty bank boxes. It was not cheap but a tax deduction and much less labor intensive. Sorry for the slight thread drift.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knowing a few local Execs that work in the Waste Industry, I can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that the vast majority of what folks think is being recycled ends up in their local landfill.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Knowing a few local Execs that work in the Waste Industry, I can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that the vast majority of what folks think is being recycled ends up in their local landfill.

This is exactly correct.

The only recycle products that are profitable are metal and cardboard.. The rest not so much.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
My wife just ends up throwing our shred into her big compost bin. The downside is that I can't shred any plastic window envelopes and stuff... I have to separate it all before shredding.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post