SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tires - a bitch, and what do you think?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires - a bitch, and what do you think? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
FWIW, when I order from tirebuyer, they tell customers to wait for confirmation from the installer that the tires have been received before coming in, even if you have an appointment.

I had tires put on last week this way. The tires took about 5 or 6 days to arrive when they normally take 2 at most. I called once to check if they had come in but they had not. Then when they did arrive, the shop called me to confirm my appt.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
If they’re going to change the tires for you and put on the Yokohamas, then you don’t really have anything to complain about. I only responded because Pirellis are my least favorite tire of all. I’ve never bought a set, but they’ve been on several cars and trucks that we’ve purchased. My wife’s Volvo had a set of all-season Scorpions and I thought they were flat dangerous in adverse driving conditions; braking and cornering both sucked. Glad you can make the switch—don’t let them talk you out of it.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Discount Tire location opened about a half-mile from my home. Wife had a non-repairable flat, Discount ordered the exact replacement, 2 days later we are done.

Couple of months ago I knew I would need tires for my truck by fall. Stopped in at Discount to discuss my needs and time frame. Couple weeks later the Discount rep called to advise me of a special offer on Michelin tires, $70 off per tire during the month of July. Stopped by, ordered the tires, couple days later I was in and out in about 30 minutes. Four new Michelin Defender XLS P265-70R18 mounted, balanced, sales taxes, out the door. Discount rep noticed my Purple Heart license plates, applied a 10% veteran discount. $1340 set of tires cost me $913.

So far I am pretty happy with the local Discount Tire folks. Road hazard warranty, free rotations at 3000 miles, Keurig coffee maker with a dozen flavor selections and real cream!

Oh, and my 4 year old Nissan Titan 4X4 seems to like the new Michelins, too.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Discount will replace the tires I have with the ones I want. That isn't the issue. I have generally been happy with Discount over the years.

The complaint is about the lack of information given by the salesman in suggesting alternatives.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pirelli Scorpoion Stradas

The size/aspect ratio really isn't of a concern as much as what both tires were designed for.

That Pirelli is as you said an SUV tire, not exactly made for spirited sedan driving.

The Yokohama is a car sport tire, while both are round, black and rubber, they won't perform the same.

Pirellis ride better and feel better because they are better than what you had.

Make them put the Yoko's on. My guess is that with COVID getting tires is a problem so they substitute which really isn't a big issue as long as the tire meets your cars specification.

Right now in the motorcycle world you can't find stock fitting tires from any supplier for HD motorcycles much less others...

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Discount will replace the tires I have with the ones I want. That isn't the issue. I have generally been happy with Discount over the years.

The complaint is about the lack of information given by the salesman in suggesting alternatives.

One questions if you're really happy with Discount if caveat emptor is a material consideration. Personally, I may be looking for a different store (even if just a different DT location). If I'm not trusting their recommendations, I'm likely not trusting their execution either.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Aside from the bait-and-switch BS, it's ridiculous that they would put on a different size tire. I don't know the specifics about your car, but the size should match what's on the door sticker. A wider tire with the same aspect ratio will also be a larger diameter and your speedometer and odometer will be off.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Not too happy with my local Discount Tire the last two visits.

First was trying to sell me a set of tires on the sales floor marked as clearance that the tire size and aspect ratio were one size larger than the car was built with. My opinion that day is that he was going to do everything possible to force those tires on me unless I would put Michelins on it as that was the only tire in stock of the correct size and ratio.

So out I went to the local Ford dealer, parts manager is an old customer of mine when I was still in car dealerships, he had the exact tire I wanted at his shop early that afternoon and installed that day. And a name brand tire vs. the ones at Discount that were private label from Indonesia.

Second time I had a bad TPMS in my Jeep. They quoted me a price for replacement of one but tried the upsell thing with “If one goes bad the others are soon to follow.” My answer was “Domthe bad one only, I’ll deal with the others later when they quit.” Three years, another set of tires, 35k and several airing up and down for trails and the other three are still working.

They pretty much burned their bridge with me.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Aside from the bait-and-switch BS, it's ridiculous that they would put on a different size tire. I don't know the specifics about your car, but the size should match what's on the door sticker. A wider tire with the same aspect ratio will also be a larger diameter and your speedometer and odometer will be off.

Yes, correct. Rule of thumb while not exact is up one size, say 235 from 225, drop one aspect ratio, say 75 to 70 series. Gets you close to the same diameter.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I always use this site when shopping different tire sizes or increasing/dropping wheel sizes to find the best overall match.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Example: Stock tire size is 225/45/19.
I wanted Michelin CrossClimate2 in 235/45/19

or

Nokian WR G4 in 245/40/19

or an 18" snow tire setup.

Gotta do a lot of research before buying. Gotta check the offsets of the wheels too if shopping for wheels.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I would have never accepted the replacements. 235’s will give you a slightly larger contact patch, good for our Texas floods we get but it won’t make much of a difference and I’m talking about the size only, not the tire itself.

I’m also a big fan of DWS, DWS06, and now the DWS06+. I have been running them for over 10 years as winters on my cars as I use dedicated hipo summers for April to November. I’d talk to the manager, have them get you 225/45/19’s in DWS06+ And move on (or the Yokos you ordered). I would not accept the tires they gave you. I run Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season + III’s on my compact truck because in that segment they are one of the best. That’s the thing with tires. Each tire mfr. has the best or one of the best in certain segments, but it’s totally variable.

They mounted CUV/SUV tires and those are meant for heavier vehicles. Get rid of them. It’s their fault. Make them pay, for one, so they don’t pull this with anyone else. Two, get the right tires for your vehicle, in the right size. The Yokos you ordered are good tires meant for what vehicle you ordered them for. Just have them make it right. Tires are a massive deal, even if you don’t drive like Hamilton. They could save your ass jamming the brakes to avoid something, making a corner to avoid something, or in our heavy rains. I love the DWS06+ and the DWS line so much because they are one of the best rain tires I’ve ever used.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I always use this site when shopping different tire sizes or increasing/dropping wheel sizes to find the best overall match.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Example: Stock tire size is 225/45/19.
I wanted Michelin CrossClimate2 in 235/45/19

Yeah, I use this comparator all the time.
Like I said before the size diff for the OP is negligible.
It boils down to other factors on the tire on whether the switch was advised.
I think the tires will be fine but ultimately you don't know until you try them.
It is why I stick to the same tire for my truck, love the ride and other factors.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
It would help if we knew what kind of “sporty” car the OP is driving…225mm width is pretty skinny for “sporty” driving/handling. Is it a Subie or a BMW or something really sporty?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
It’s been a while since I raced regularly, but I spent several years autocrossing in one of the SCCAs street tire classes. I learned quite a bit about street tires in performance applications.

Given that experience, the change in size wouldn’t bother me much. The difference between a 224 and 235 can be less than the difference between 225s from different brands in terms of contact patch width. The height difference wouldn’t bother me unless my car was short on suspension travel and close to rubbing already. If 225/45x19 is the stock tire size, I would be greatly surprised if there was any rubbing. If you mention the specific model of car, I might be able to give you a less generic suggestion.

The bigger difference would be the change in brand and model of tire. I don’t have personal experience with either of the tires you mentioned, but if Tire Rack has done any of their track testing in them, I would look at those results. Tire Racks track testing is by no means perfect, but is some of the best information available to compare a wide range of tires on a somewhat consistent basis. Treadwear ratings are unreliable, and speed rating a don’t guarantee performance. User reviews are also hard to rely on without knowing the person writing the review and how they drive and treat their car. Anyway, from looking at the tread pattern the Yokohama should end up with somewhat higher grip in steady state cornering and transition between turning one way and another more quickly thanks to the more monolithic central ribs of tread. The Lorelei should be better in standing water and light snow or ice, but the more separated tread blocks are never better for handling. Can’t tell which one would be quieter, but likely the Pirelli.

I can’t really tell anything about sidewall stiffness or how soft the tread compound is from the websites though. Those make a huge difference, but they are also every manufacturers secret sauce, so you rarely get info on them. That is where the reviews come in, to give some sort of consisten comparison between the two that you can’t tell just by looking at tread patterns.

Anyway, the bottom line for tires is that the proof is in the pudding. If you are driving on them and you like the way they handle, than keep them. If they don’t feel right, go get the Yokohamas. Even in racing, the ‘best’ tire wasn’t the same for every car. If it works on your car, then it is a good choice!

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good experiences with DT, but their corporate HQ is in the metro area where I live, so that may impact their level of service.

I always take a salesperson’s advice with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to firearms and vehicles.

I will echo that how the car rides & handles on the tires is what’s important. I’ve had 4 different sets of Michelin tires on my BMW. The first, dealer installed run flats were awful. The second were great, the third were subpar, and the current generation are the best yet. All were the same type of tire, summer/high performance.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
It would help if we knew what kind of “sporty” car the OP is driving…225mm width is pretty skinny for “sporty” driving/handling. Is it a Subie or a BMW or something really sporty?

It's a Mazda6 IIRC. Maybe a 16-18 or so, in black (not that the color matters)

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

It's a Mazda6 IIRC. Maybe a 16-18 or so, in black (not that the color matters)

Good memory - and it is dark blue.

I did say "mildly sporty" in the original post. I fully understand that a Mazda 6 is not a sports car, but it is a little sporty by Japanese sedan standards.

I now have the tires I ordered on it. Discount Tire gave me no problems and swapped them out.

I do prefer them to the SUV Pirellis they mounted. The Pirellis were comfy and quiet, but not at all sporty in feel. I would have said they were sort of a luxury car tire - soft riding. The Yokohamas are a firmer, more deliberate, and more precise in feel. They are also quiet, although not as quiet as the SUV tires.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

black (not that the color matters)
OF COURSE, color matters!

Time after time, on the Click and Clack program, a caller would start off saying something like, "I have a 2007 Taurus."

Caller would barely get those words out of his (her) mouth, when one of the brothers would interrupt and ask, "What color is it?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Discount Tires for a long time now, and they put tires on all my vehicles, and my kids vehicles, relatives, etc. No bad experiences.

Occasionally they don't have the tire I'm after. They have upsold, or upgraded at the same price. On occasion, the identical size hasn't been available, but a serviceable substitute has. I've used them in multiple states, many stores, sometimes popping in with a problem not of their making or sale, and the service is always very good.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post