SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tires - a bitch, and what do you think?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires - a bitch, and what do you think? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I ordered tires from Discount Tire online for my mildly sporty sedan. They were Yokohama Advan Sport AS+ - not a tip top of the line tire for sporty sedans, but a very good tire. They are what they call an ultra high performance all season tire. Not sports car summer tires, but a sporty tire. The size is 225/45/19. I had a set and chose them as a good tire for my use, and this set was to replace those. I liked the tires, obviously.

They didn't come in on time, and the calls they said they made to me did not get logged on my phone. I have my doubts.

So when I showed up at the appointed time, the tires were not there. The kid at the counter says no problem, we can give you these Pirelli Scorpoion Stradas. They cost $14 more per tire, but we'll give them to you for the same price. I don't know from tires, so he assures me they are good tires, a little longer treadwear life - you'll like them. I agree to the switch.

They are fine, a big improvement, because my old tires were old - really worn out. Almost anything would feel better.

But when I look later, they put 235/45/19s on. Okay, I could live with that, and I know going up one width is usually just fine. But I also learn that the Scorpion Strada is a SUV/Crossover tire. They seem to be more a luxury tire, with a little less performance, but some light off road capacity. I suspect this means a little softer ride, and a little less cornering and braking performance. They probably will have better tread life.

All in all, I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton. These would probably be fine, and I'd probably notice little or no practical difference. They might be better in one respect, and worse in another.

I was irritated that they didn't say they were putting on a different size tire, even though it is probably in the range of acceptable. And I was more irritated that they didn't tell me this is really a somewhat different sort of tire. The Pirelli that would be comparable to the Yokohama would be in the Cinturato line, not the Scorpion line, but I didn't know this until after the fact - I rely on the tire people to steer me in the right direction.

First off, how irritated by this would you be?

Second off, tire gurus, what do you think about the difference between the two tires for my use?

I have asked them to give me the Yokohamas when they arrive, which they will do. Discount Tire is living up their satisfaction guaranty, but they could have done better with talking to me about options.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I would be pissed that they switched sizes on me, that extra centimeter would cause serious issues on my car.

That said though, if it fits and you don't drive it at or approaching the limit (and it sounds like you don't from what you said) then it may actually end up being a better tire for you.

It won't grip quite as well, but it will last a little longer, and it will probably ride very slightly softer. Whether that's ok or not would be very subjective to your driving. You might see if discount tire will let you test them for a while to see if you are in fact satisfied with their performance. If you are, great. If not, they can fix it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'll get a few days to test them, as it will take at least a day or two for the others to arrive. I will take a close look at clearance.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's hard to say what they'll be like in 6 months since you're comparing new tires to worn out, but I think I would use those few days to put the new tires through the ringer. See if they lose traction when you put the hammer down or panic brake. If you don't like how they do go with what you originally wanted.

I'm currently stuck with too little tire on my car, so I sympathize with your dilemma.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If they are installing the tires you requested when they come in, I might be annoyed that I have to come in twice but I’d probably keep quiet.

Otherwise I’d be noisy until they agreed to install what I actually ordered.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If I did my homework (appears that you did) and chose a particular tire, that would be the tire I'd want, and the only tire I'd find acceptable.

That extra centimeter in width might make for a handling difference and it might not. Depends upon the vehicle's suspension tuning.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I would be irritated at the size issue also. Hope that is not a sign Discount tire is going down hill. Usually they are very good at what they do.

I also don't think they sold you a very good tire for your needs or what you were after. The lower end price point of the ultra high performance all season tire may not of help here.

If you want to spend some more dollars a very good ultra high performance all season tire with the latest technology Continental's ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS or the Michelin PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 would be at the top of my list. With the DWS 06 PLUS at a better price point.

One thing is for sure the tire supply chain is not the best right now.

C

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not only are you getting the extra 1cm width, it's adding a marginal height to the tire height as well, with is still being a 45 series tire.

For me, I research heavily into what goes on my car & wouldn't want a substitute without being able to really see if it's truly camparable.

I did get a unrepairable puncture on my Mercedes (no spare) and Discount gave me a 'loaner' tire until a replacement could be sourced.

I've always been satisfied with the Yokohamas I've used.
MY prime preference (and what is on our Flex) is Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ (on the recommendation from LBJ here). Absolutely fantastic tire with great treadlife, but a bit on the pricey side (~$900 installed for the 20" tires on our Flex).

The above mentioned unrepairable tire on my Mercedes was a Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS, they were about $200 cheaper than the Michelin AS3+.
I don't drive like an F1 driver on the road, but definitely more spirited than the average commuter. The Michelin Defender tires on my Malibu (came on the car) are sure to be long-lived, but leave some to be desired in lateral grip & wet traction (mostly from a standing start).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I would be irritated at the size issue also. Hope that is not a sign Discount tire is going down hill. Usually they are very good at what they do.

I also don't think they sold you a very good tire for your needs or what you were after. The lower end price point of the ultra high performance all season tire may not of help here.

If you want to spend some more dollars a very good ultra high performance all season tire with the latest technology Continental's ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS or the Michelin PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 would be at the top of my list. With the DWS 06 PLUS at a better price point.

One thing is for sure the tire supply chain is not the best right now.

C

That Continental is 15% more expensive than the Yokohama, but the Michelin is 40% more expensive. You think the two are similar in performance?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think the kid was trying to get me something now, as I was there for an appointment and was already not happy about the lack of notice.

I also suspect they push to use what they have on hand, not what has to be ordered.

None of this is the right way to do it, especially when you don't explain the substitutions you are suggesting carefully so the buyer can make an intelligent choice.

posted Hide Post
I used the Continental DWS for two sets on my '02 WRX and one set on my '13 WRX. I liked them better than the Bridgestone Potenza and Dunlop factory tires, Pirelli P-Zero Nero's, and Yokohama VR4's. If I do a full set on my '17 Civic Si, it will be the DWS 06 Plus (newest version).

The biggest screwup I remember was a tire shop putting under-rated tires on my (now ex) wife's Forester XT. Might have been S instead of T. Only an issue if she was going to drive past the S speed limit, but IMO you should never under-tire a car relative to it's governed top speed. In the end I let it go because the reviews led her to pick that particular tire and the tire shop just did what she asked, but most Foresters aren't as fast as the XT so they get lower rated tires.

I would not tolerate a wrong size tire of any kind unless it was fully intended by me. Yeah the extra 10 mm of width is only 4.5 mm more sidewall but it will affect speedometer readings a little.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with ether tire but the size difference is not a big deal , IMO.
Hard to say from the specs, the only way is to use them to see if they perform the way you want but I suspect they will be fine.

I would only accept what my original plan was but that's me.
I am picky about my Truck tires (I only will use the Nitto Graphler or now Graphler 2) but the size thing is a non-issue in this case.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Tire size shouldn't matter too much. I'd be upset about the tire switch when it wasn't comparable.

My current car has runflats in 225/45/19. As soon as they wear out, I'm replacing them with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires in 235/45/19. The increase will help my speedo read closer to true speed and fill that wheel well gap a little.

I asked Discount Tire about it when I was getting my daughter's car new tires and they said I should get the CrossClimate SUV because I have an SUV. I said, no, it's a stupid SAV or whatever bmw calls it, it's too small to be an suv and I want the CrossClimate2 tires so make sure you order me those when I'm ready.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The tires you chose are a step above the tires they put on. I'd stick with the Yokahamas.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
This feels like deja vu.
I ordered the exact same tires to be put on wife's car on Sat from Discount tires.
Had appointment and everything. Appointment was confirmed by email on Fri by them.

Drop the car off , and 20 min later get a call telling me the Yokohama arent there , but they can put on a better tire instead for me. I asked what tire and was told Continental sport.
It would only be $1300 . I said not what I agreed to , so instantly he said $1000 for the inconvenience. I asked what the original price was and was told $937 , and he would match this.
I agreed. Checked on my phone and it did not show the Continental in stock either at that store.

Lo and behold 15 min later I get another call ,different guy , explaining that there was a mistake , one of the Continental were mislabeled and they only had 3.
Would I like them to put 17in tires on as they are easier to get and a more comfortable ride.

Told them no.

Go to store to pick up car and get the run around. Then the sales lady cops an attitude so I ask to speak to manager.

For the next 5 min we alternate between her saying "why you talking to me like that" with hands on hips and nasty looks , and me saying "managers phone number please"

Eventually the other sales person pipes up and tells me they dont give out managers phone number, and to call the store.

I look to the "lady" and tell me "now that wasn't difficult was it" at which point the other guy cops attitude about not speaking to staff like that.

Called regional office in San Antonio when I got home , left a message to ask them to call me to discuss the situation.

No response as yet.

Bottom line, I will go anywhere before I stop in to these bait and switch scammers again.

Oh , then I checked , the dealer is only $15 or so more expensive total , since they include road hazard etc. Guess where we are going to get the tires .....

p.s. Checked online and lots of complaints about Discount Tires doing the same bait switch , upsell etc.

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Did you call the corporate number 480-606-6000?

They will correct and solve issues in which you may have.

I had to call it the last time I bought tires, as the rebate card got hacked BEFORE I had it or activated it.
Got the run around on that one for awhile, until I got a hold of the right person. Said he'd call back in the next couple days and never did. The next time I contacted him (few weeks later), he gave me a bill credit for the amount. As I was using their card to get another discount and free interest.

AS to the OP, I'd have them install the tires you ordered when they show up.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
jhe888 you might look this chart of reviews over for Ultra High Performance All-Season tires from tire rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...Search=true&filter=y

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The bad experiences with Discount Tires cited above are very different from my incident.

I had a problem with the local store, much less of a problem than the ones described.

I wrote a polite (very polite) letter, mailed it to company HQ. Got a visit at the hangar from the regional VP to apologize. He walked around my car, looked at it, then told me he was giving me a set of four new Michelins for my Ford Edge, and another set for my wife's Escape, on the house!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
jhe888 you might look this chart of reviews over for Ultra High Performance All-Season tires from tire rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...Search=true&filter=y

+1. The TireRack charts are the first place I go when shopping for tires (and I look every time, since there are frequently changes to existing designs and new offerings available).

As you can see, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus is about the same price as your preferred Yokohama, but an exceptionally better tire. The regular Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 (now dropped to 5th place) is also what I used to have on my Altima (which I tended to drive quite... sporty-like) before I replaced it with my current Jeep, so I'm sure the upgrade is worthy.

I would steer well clear of Discount Tire in the future. Buy direct from TR and have the tires shipped to one of their recommended installers.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Depends on the Discount Tire. There's two near me and I only go to the one that's west of me.

I bought a snow tire/wheel package from Tire Rack. They shipped it to my house and two of the tpms sensors wouldn't sync to the car. Tire Rack said take it somewhere and fix it and send us the bill.

I took it to Discount Tire and the manager came out and said he could see the sensors are working but they wouldn't sync. He replaced all four and gave me the four bad ones and said no charge. It took forever with Tire Rack to get my money back.

I bought a snow tire/wheel set with TPMS from Tire Rack for my daughter's car but didn't want to pay the $400 for the tool. Called my Discount Tire and they said bring the car in and they synced them to the car. In the spring, I bring the car to them and they swap them and resync her tires to the car.

I always get my all seasons from Discount Tire since they'll price match and their employees are very careful with my wheels. My previous car I bought four wheels online and shipped to Discount Tire. They had the tires I wanted in stock and had them mounted and balanced before I got there.

Now the other discount tire is all ghetto.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post