SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Are armadillos trainable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are armadillos trainable? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Wouldn't it be nice to co-opt the little bastards to dig their prospecting holes where you want holes?

So you could plant flowers, vegetables or pluggable grass and or ground cover sprigs where you want to, instead of them digging up your flowers, vegetables or pluggable grass and ground cover sprigs?

If you have any armadillo training hints, please share. My verbal offers of free coupons for McDonalds McEarthworm sandwiches seem to fall on deaf ears.

If not, do you have a link to printable anatomical armadillo practice targets, like the ones you can get for deer, pigs, coyotes, rats, etc?

Kinda like these, but with CNS locations?

https://www.pinterest.com/Targ...ble-hunting-targets/

"Defensive behavior
The North American nine-banded armadillo tends to jump straight in the air when surprised, so consequently often collides with the undercarriage or fenders of passing vehicles to its demise."[13]

Yeah, with heart/lung shots they jump straight up in the air, flip around a lot, then run straight for the neighbor's front sidewalk where they can spout blood like a Nightmare Sanguinous Rain Bird® on Elm Street before going tits up.

Or so I've heard.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Only armadillos from Amarillo.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's train all of them how to run out in front of oncoming semi's.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
Let's train all of them how to run out in front of oncoming semi's.

[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They don't do well when shot by half inch bullets, but they can be housebroken.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could use a new rifle? Smile A 17HMR is devastating on that size pest...not really low decibels if that is important, though.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Only armadillos from Amarillo.

Sorry, not even those

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken a few using the CCI " Quiet .22 LR ".
Fairly quiet from a rifle barrel . Well , the Sheriff never showed up , so ...

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I doubt that armadillos are trainable. In Florida there’s this oft-told joke:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To prove to the armadillo that it could be done.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Be careful with Armadillos, some carry Mycobacterium Leprae , which can cause Leprosy.

https://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/transmission/index.html

Best regards,

Mike (Molecular Biology / Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They aren't very smart.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They aren't very smart.

Bet you they outlive the human population.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
National Geographic did a story about armadillos a while back. It seem they get killed on the roadway because of an internal mechanism that makes them jump at the sight of danger. If they stayed put they would be fine with the vehicle running over them.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
In Georgia, up and down I-75, the peach stands sell hem to Yankees as possum on the half shell.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
National Geographic did a story about armadillos a while back. It seem they get killed on the roadway because of an internal mechanism that makes them jump at the sight of danger. If they stayed put they would be fine with the vehicle running over them.

They actually have some vert too. I trained my old GSD to mark Possums so teaching her to do the same with Armadillos was easy. Around here, we have a park/trail close and I’d walk the k9 through there occasionally. Her ears would perk up, she’d look at me with the alert motion and I’d egg her on. Leading me with the lead she’d get real close, and we’d creep up. Several times she’d be a foot away from one and we’d watch. Armadillos have bad vision so at the moment they’d turn around to see the K9, they’d freak and jump a few feet in the air. It was really something to see. I never knew they had that capability.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Georgia, up and down I-75, the peach stands sell hem to Yankees as possum on the half shell.

Bull. See some proof. In any regard it is a stupid comment.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Group on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Just found the comment offensive and ignorant. It is not clever like you think. BTW spellcheck is your friend.

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
OK Francis.

NRA
Georgia Carry

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
quote:
quote:

Group on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

I thought the comment was funny and I'm from up north, no offense taken :-)

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post