SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Many times in the last few months, I’ve come really close to flashing my high beams at someone and stopped short. Why? Because it seemed like for awhile there, I would do that and get flashed back with even brighter lights.

I agree. It’s gone a bit too far, and this is coming from someone who prefers bright headlights. I’ve just never upgraded to the flamethrowers some of these people are driving around with.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone even tried to get headlights adjusted recently. I don't think any shops even have the equipment to check them any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone even tried to get headlights adjusted recently.

I haven't seen any kind of adjustment on aerodynamic headlights on cars made in the last ~20 years. When they first came out in the 1980s they did, some even having little spirit levels. But now they are just bolted solidly to the car body.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I remember on State Inspection, they would check your headlight alignment but that was probably 20 years ago.

I had a pair of Lucas Flame Throwers on a 66 Corvette but there was few stretches of road you could use them.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
my ford f150 comes stock with bright head lights I get flashed all the time people thinking I have my brights on, when I flash them back they get the idea. not much I can do about it.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
With the newer white bulbs and LED's, lights do look a lot brighter. This all started a decade back tho, with the more tightly controlled prism headlights keeping the available light from a standard bulb concentrated on the road. And they are a lot brighter coming over a crest or hill - which is when all the complaining started.

I did an upgrade on a 90 Cherokee and had few issues, it made them as bright as most new cars. I have run across another problem tho. Certain drivers, usually older, just run with the brights on full time, irregardless of anybody. You catch them out when they won't flash back. They ran them on high all the time because their older eyes simply don't process light as well. Aging eventually leads to partial night blindness. We have friends who won't drive at night at all now.

Now I have escalated again, a side affect of getting a new vehicle. I got a 05 F150 and mine rides higher than all the econoboxes. Headlights from other trucks are the issue - but not as much. The worst are the huge LED bars on grilles which are illegal on the road, and most younger users are aware of it. And there is another issue - trucks are just getting taller every year. A coworker had an 85 stepside 1/2 Chevy, it was nearly the same height as a Honda. My 05 was taller than another F150 of the same year and they had a V8. We concluded mine was a utility spec high ride height truck, 2" more from the factory. And that is what is really causing all the problems - trucks and cars are running a lot taller now, which will put the lights up more than 18" over an 80's truck.

If you can't beat em join em.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Has anyone even tried to get headlights adjusted recently. I don't think any shops even have the equipment to check them any more.

flashguy

Equipment? All you need is a garage wall, a tape measure, and a Phillips screwdriver. Park X feet from the wall and turn on the lights. Measure how high they are and adjust as needed.

It ain't rocket surgery.

I'm normally one who eschews all the fancy new electronic tech as it's just one more thing that can (and will) go wrong. A lot of it is unnecessary as well IMO as the old tech worked just fine. However, I'm a proponent of having a sensor placed on every vehicle that detects oncoming vehicles and automatically dims the headlights.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Park X feet from the wall.
My tape measure doesn't have Roman numerals.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/busine...can-bright-rcna21042

You may be on to something, fresh recall due to headlights being to bright.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Park X feet from the wall.
My tape measure doesn't have Roman numerals.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
my ford f150 comes stock with bright head lights I get flashed all the time people thinking I have my brights on, when I flash them back they get the idea. not much I can do about it.

New Ford truck headlights are probably the worst OEM lights right now. They are absolutely blinding for everyone else on the road right off the showroom floor. I see GM had to recall a lot of vehicles to fix their headlights; hopefully Ford and some other manufacturers will have to as well.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
My Tundra comes standard with a dial to adjust the headlights from within the cab.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"I am a small government guy and a federalist until my ox is gored."

Write your state congressman. Not the feds. I also suspect these may not comply with regs already out there. More regs may not help at all.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post