SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Enough is enough here. Mad

Coming home last night for dinner, every fifth or sixth car has headlights so INSANELY bright that they are totally blinding me and destroying my night vision, to the point of where it’s getting dangerous.

I am a small government guy and hate overregulation, but in this case I think there needs to be some sort of national standard or regulation of the brightness of car headlights. They continue to get brighter and brighter, it’s ridiculous and IMO getting dangerous.

Does anyone else out there feel this way??

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Holy chit! Yes!!!

It’s to the point that I can barely see the “fog line” at the side of the road to know if I’m still on the highway, much less have any idea what’s beyond the oncoming vehicle whose headlights are doing their best to destroy my retinas. The “low” beams of many vehicles are far brighter than the highs used to be. Just a couple of nights ago a vehicle with planet melting beams and a pedestrian on the side of the road were approaching in my direction at the same time. Even though the vehicle was large and close to the center line I avoided drifting too far right but still barely missed the walker. Countless other times I’ve had no idea what might have been waiting for me past an oncoming vehicle in a rural area where there’s no illumination besides my headlights.

And don’t get me started on lighting at nighttime construction sites or the proliferation of illuminated billboards.

Yeah, yeah, I know: You never drive any place where it’s really dark at night, or it’s all multiple lane highways, so what’s the big deal? Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I thought there already was? Problem is, ISTR from reading an article on this very subject w/in the last few years: Automakers appear to be either disregarding it, complying to the bare minimum requirements, fudging their results, etc.

That has been one of my few design complaints about my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee: The headlights are no better than had been those on my 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer, and maybe not even as good.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Especially the idiots with the "After Market" lights and they do not get them properly aligned. Same with the lifted trucks.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well the guy selling them said I could put these LED lights in the old housing and see everything...

Roll Eyes

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I simply cannot see the road. Now it is too or three rows of lights on a lifted truck. I guess it is handy for spotting deer. If you are senstive to glare the situation is even worse.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the different colored lights .. I saw a car with blue headlights this week . That can't be legal .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The regulation is FMVSS (Federal motor vehicle safety standard) 108, I believe. I've read recently it's getting some revision, and I hope the automotive lighting overlords "do the right thing." I'm with you guys -- automotive lighting is a disaster these days. In Mom's words, "the people who design and advertise these things evidently never take a moment to actually use them."

This discussion ties in with my rant about daytime running lights (DRLs) and the arms race manufacturers seem to have going. "Hey, guys, who can make their DRLs the most gaudy, the brightest, the most annoying to other drivers? Oh, and by the way, fellas, while you're lighting the heck out of the front of the car, don't bother with the taillights, mkay?" Roll Eyes

I could rant on this for a while -- and have before -- but for now I'll leave it here for now and respectfully follow the discussion.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I hit them with the high beams and most of the time that points their lights high enough that I can see again.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The newer Super Duty Ford low beams are blinding even on stock non-lifted trucks.

And speaking of blue headlights, we had a heavy fog about month ago and a guy with blue headlights created a giant wall of blue light in the fog. I had to stop until he went by because it was impossible to see anything else.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
My Grandad used to just start steering towards coke that wouldn’t dim their high beams after he gave them a courtesy flash.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
My Grandad used to just start steering towards cars that wouldn’t dim their high beams after he gave them a courtesy flash.

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:

My Grandad used to just start steering towards cars that wouldn’t dim their high beams after he gave them a courtesy flash.

― H.L. Mencken

A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post

― H.L. Mencken

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've got a huge handheld for when they refuse to lower their goddammed high beams. Shit, I stop and just give it to them.

I've had assholes in lifted trucks tailgate me with their fucking brights on, then pass me and hit a set of rear LEDs.

The handheld will blind them on the spot.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Agreed. As mentioned, Ford’s new LED lights on their SuperDuty trucks are like a searchlight. Carmakers should be required to issue a recall and change the lights out on these vehicles.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I think tinted windows go along with this. It's like wearing sunglasses at night, and when you can't see anything, getting a brighter flashlight instead of just taking the sunglasses off.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Coming home last night for dinner, every fifth or sixth car has headlights so INSANELY bright that they are totally blinding me and destroying my night vision, to the point of where it’s getting dangerous.

I am a small government guy and hate overregulation, but in this case I think there needs to be some sort of national standard or regulation of the brightness of car headlights. They continue to get brighter and brighter, it’s ridiculous and IMO getting dangerous.

I'm not being snarky but have you had your eyes checked lately? especially for cataracts?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think cataracts have anything to do with the problem. It's insanely bright LED headlights. For those who suggest blinding the oncoming driver with a handheld or other, is that really a wise decision?

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I'm not being snarky but have you had your eyes checked lately? especially for cataracts?

I think the Rev is right. I have cataracts, but they're not anywhere near bad enough to get operated on yet, maybe they never will be, but I can see where they put halos on oncoming headlights.

But, they aren't really all that bright to me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post