SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Inusuit:
is that really a wise decision?

It's not.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's just another issue where we have laws/rules already that aren't being enforced. I do agree they are a problem.

I see blinking/flashing brake lights all the time now too, those are also a no-no by Fed regs.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I see blinking/flashing brake lights all the time now too, those are also a no-no by Fed regs.

Are they? I see this a lot, too (and I'll admit I haven't made time to study the FMVSS document yet).

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Maybe the lights could be checked at each oil change or each smog check.

Some of the problem is factory stock. Many times the problem is because of aftermarket upgrades to something (not necessarily the lights).

LE has no cause for fix-it tickets when they encounter this? Surely they get blinded as well.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Enough is enough here. Mad

Coming home last night for dinner, every fifth or sixth car has headlights so INSANELY bright that they are totally blinding me and destroying my night vision, to the point of where it’s getting dangerous.

I am a small government guy and hate overregulation, but in this case I think there needs to be some sort of national standard or regulation of the brightness of car headlights. They continue to get brighter and brighter, it’s ridiculous and IMO getting dangerous.

Does anyone else out there feel this way??

I'm not being snarky but have you had your eyes checked lately? especially for cataracts?

I think the Rev is right. I have cataracts, but they're not anywhere near bad enough to get operated on yet, maybe they never will be, but I can see where they put halos on oncoming headlights.

But, they aren't really all that bright to me.

Un regulated headlights have been a pet peeve of mine when I had cataracts. I have since had both eyes done (cataract surgery) and the problem is no better.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I'm not being snarky but have you had your eyes checked lately? especially for cataracts?

I was just at the eye doctor a few weeks ago for a full checkup. Other than my close-up vison going to shit requiring reading glasses now, my eyes check out just fine.

I just have a problem with the cars coming at me with 10,000 lumens, blinding the shit out of me.

It's like they all drive around with their high beams on, but those are on steroids. I can't even imagine what the actual high beams are like!

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's the headlight regs that are a problem. Headlights are actually quite regulated and manufacturers are annoyed that they can't adopt smarter/better headlight systems that they are currently using in Europe. For example, headlights that can actually change the throw angle based on oncoming traffic.

I bet your annoyance is actually linked to the popularity of lifting pickup trucks and SUVs which raises the headlight height. Or people who don't properly adjust the headlight height in general. My current batch of cars with LED headlights are auto leveling and adjust each time I turn the car on.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm against having any government involvement except immunity to those who choose to shoot them out.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I Think It’s Time For Some Sort Of Regulation On Car Headlights
There already are. But they aren't being observed or enforced. Properly designed stock headlights shouldn't blind you, nor should fog lights.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LED headlights have gotten so out of control I wear tinted driving glasses to avoid being blinded by oncoming traffic... and I'm in a SUV!

Brighter lights doesn't make the road safer for anyone when it's blinding other drivers yet auto manufacturers love to advertise otherwise.

Posts: 798 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
Because it’s all about them, screw everybody else
Headlights were yellow for a reason, so everybody else on the road could see, also

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is a real problem and folks will continue to push the envelope until some type of enforcement occurs. I drive a rural route to work and the kids have taken to installing all manner of LED attachments to their trucks...many aren't even using their headlights anymore.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Saw a TeeVee ad about glasses that help fix this, no way it's going away, when lights went from the old sealed beams to HID people were upset, same comments, now it's HID to LED.

You might have some sensitivity to brighter lights, look at some night driving glasses as an option.

https://clearview.store/

and flashing someone with a super bright hand held is wrong, might get someone seriously hurt

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
The worst is the assholes that add a wall of LED lights to the grill of their cars.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dynamic headlights just got approval for use in the US. it will take a while, but this will help. It will probably also mean you'll be able to total a car for a broken headlight.

Linky:

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like many of you, overly bright or poorly aimed LED arrays have blinded me. I now wear a yellow tinted pair of shooting glasses to cut down on a lot of glare.
But:
Where I drive, outside of what passes for civilization here in the Yoop, it is pitch black. And loaded with deer. Having powerful lights help to keep me safe. But I dont leave them on in town!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:
Because it’s all about them, screw everybody else
Headlights were yellow for a reason, so everybody else on the road could see, also

No, they were yellow because no one had figured out yet how to make them bright enough to produce white light.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
"They" are too busy killing my diesel pickup to worry about enforcing existing headlight rules.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flashing brake lights do not comply with Federal DOT regulations. Some states have emulated the Regulations with their inspection laws. Title 67 in Pa (mirroring the Federal regs) defines the triangle of brake lamps’ width, height, color, etc. It clearly states that all the lamps must function identically. Sooo, a flashing/extra bright upper brake lamp shouldn’t pass inspection. There’s also a Federal specification that prohibits flashing lamps on the back of a car. Getting a citation adjudicated for certain lighting equipment violations isn’t a given.
As for blinding headlights… it isn’t just the high lumen output, but also the wave length of the light itself. Bright white causes wet pavement to turn into a silver sheen obliterating lane and shoulder marks. The splatter reflections in precipitation defeat any high output.
Awhile back I read a study from NY that showed high output headlights cast a moving shadow behind a deer, which causes the animal to run away from the shadow moving behind it towards the vehicle! If you’re driving too fast for existing conditions, ie., in the dark in deer country, bright “may be” better, but only if speed is regulated accordingly.
After market mods cause lots of problems. Not only because of bulbs improperly installed in the wrong type reflector housings, but as another poster pointed out, lift kits, tire changes, etc.
Dynamic, or intelligent, lighting systems are one solution (albeit ghastly expensive and complex) but no matter how much technology is applied, “you can’t fix stupid”. There’s a plethora of stupid out there. Don’t get me started on the “loud pipes save lives” argument.

Posts: 87 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post