SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can”t buy a stinking local road atlas.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can”t buy a stinking local road atlas. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Apparently the map business has gone the way of the Dodo. You can still buy a national road atlas, but more localized versions seem to be a thing of the past. My father keeps going to book stores looking to buy one despite me telling him there are none. He has a GPS but struggles with it and would rather have a map. His Hagstrom county map book is 30 or so years out of date.

The other fun side of this is you can buy a 25 year outdated Hagstrom map book for our area on Amazon for $90.

Rand McNally has their version which is only about 15 years out of date. They’re for sale on Amazon for $850-$950 Not a typo. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I also like maps. Several years ago, I bought a map of the SE USA and found it most valuable. I now use Google Maps as I do some driving for local car dealers.

I worked for an insurance company for 30 years and I gave many hundreds of US atlas's to clients and friends. I have one at my right hand as I type this as I refer to it often.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Not easy to find good buggy whips nowadays either.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Maps require you to think and comprehend in a world where people don't know what side of the road to stay on.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
We lost our map shop here in town about 10 years ago and I really miss it.... On road trips we always have maps.... yes, I use a GPS... but am reminded of something I learned years ago taking a Power Squadron class on coastal navigation... "Never rely totally on electronics."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I love paper maps. Every time I was in Seattle I'd go to a map store in Pioneer Square. 2 floors of map heaven.
Never left with less than 2-3 maps.
I have a map drawer that my wife calls the paper junk drawer but admittedly, I haven't used any of them for years because I'm loving my electronic gadgets better know.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just drove from Minnesota to Florida. We had AAA make us a trip tick, but we mostly relied on GPS navigation on our phones.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't know what area you are in, or wanting a local map for, or how local and thus detailed for city streets, but check the local Chamber Of Commerce or local Tourist or Convention Board.

As mentioned above, and this depends on what local area you are looking for, but check with AAA.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
AAA still has maps, but I think you have to be a member.

I could be wrong though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Just drove from Minnesota to Florida. We had AAA make us a trip tick, but we mostly relied on GPS navigation on our phones.

My wife loves to pick on me about about my lick n stick [to the windshield] Garmin (with lifetime maps). Says her apple phone is much better.

Then we went to my son's wedding in Plattsburgh NY (30 minutes from the Canadian border) and we decided to take a day trip to Montreal.

What my wife didn't realize was international rates apply when using your phone across the border.

She now likes the Garmin. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
That's silly. I know good and well that you recognize the value of a printed map. Under certain circumstances, it might be your only source.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
That's silly. I know good and well that you recognize the value of a printed map. Under certain circumstances, it might be your only source.
Yup. There are some outstanding aviation apps for iPad, easy to use, and in many cases requiring less interpretation and mental gymnastics than paper charts for navigation, but even after I transitioned to this as a primary source for navigation, I always had a current set of paper charts on board.

As an instructor, I never permitted my trainees to use EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) apps until they were completely proficient with paper charts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
^^

Wandering around the streets of Budapest, all the phones in my little group lost the satellite, turning Google Maps into Goo-Goo. So we had to navigate using the Orienteering skills I learned as a Tenderfoot in the Boy Scouts. Was very glad to have held onto the little tourist pamphlet showing the major streets, with a big ol' friendly N arrow! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I use paper maps all the time. My go to are the Benchmark Roads and Recreation but I don't think they're available for all states. The Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer are also good and available for most states.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's funny, but, for some reason, I was just thinking about paper maps and road atlases a few days ago. Dunno why.

One advantage of them is you can spread 'em out and see everything you want/need to all at once. Try that with a GPS of mobile device.

I'm beginning to have a whole new appreciation for older tech, I can tell you that. Yeah, yeah, I know: "Welcome to the party, pal!"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I traveled cross country on the Gold Wind, I used two Garmin GPS units and a Rand McNally paper map from Wallmart.

I used paper map for plotting a long distance route. GPS more use full in town, IMO.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

My wife loves to pick on me about about my lick n stick [to the windshield] Garmin (with lifetime maps). Says her apple phone is much better.

Then we went to my son's wedding in Plattsburgh NY (30 minutes from the Canadian border) and we decided to take a day trip to Montreal.

What my wife didn't realize was international rates apply when using your phone across the border.

She now likes the Garmin. Wink

Both my wife and I have Pixel 3. My son has an iPhone. His navigation is better I must say.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Does AAA still give out printed maps?

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I drive by Delorme every week (home of Eartha, the largest rotating globe). The shop there has atlases for most states on hand.

The website is through Garmin, who bought out Delorme a while back.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/U...01640-000#additional

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was just going through my 1950 atlas, includes all 48 states and the major railroad lines in lieu of interstates.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post