SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can”t buy a stinking local road atlas.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can”t buy a stinking local road atlas. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Try driving two tracks or off roading in many areas by using your Jeep’s nav radio instead of paper maps.

Last time I off roaded even on marked trails there were many times I was in uncharted territory per the nav radio.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Does AAA still give out printed maps?

Yes. We got the flip type trip tick.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Local incident where a business man from out of the area was using his GPS signal device to return to this home territory by trying to cut across country and thinking he was taking a short cut became totally lost and his vehicle being disabled buried up to the car frame in mud after following the GPS directions without questioning where he was headed. The Sheriffs Dept found the lost driver after a 8 hour long search on a old abandoned fire break road. Sometimes you just can not fix stupid. ................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1947 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
When travelling I used to stop at the visitor center of every state I entered and pick up a bunch of local (state) maps.

Im pretty sure they still give those out at most rest stop visitor centers near the borders.

I handed my 8 year old a road atlas the other day on a long car trip and they were really impressed. They kept quiet for a long time, flipping page to page, learning new town names and such.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Rand McNally atlas book with the states. Mainly as it shows a larger clearer view than the screen so as to be able to reference city locations to one another. I.e. what’s nearby or what direction a town is from where you want to go.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+++ For the Delorme atlas books. Very handy here in the Yoop. They work fine with batteries or satellites.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15995 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's a reason aircraft are required to have paper sectionals and manual computers.

Electronics are a superior container for dead batteries.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Delorme

It can't be the detail and scale he's after. Their book of the whole state has fewer pages than the county specific map he's using now.

I guess he's tired of calling me to look things up on my phone when his map doesn't have it.

Posts: 21045 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Realtors used to use a really good map book . I can't remember what it is called . It was broken down into various areas of the city . Ask a Realtor if they are still produced .

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of map are you looking for ? State ? City ?

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
After about two hours of digging, there might be a current (2019) version of what he's after. Not the spiral bound, laminated one's he's used forever, but same company and publisher. (Kapa map group/Hagstrom) The trick seems to be finding one. Kapa shows them for sale on their site, I'll order it and see if they actually have them in stock. (no one else seems to) The trouble wasn't in backtracking to the publisher, it was that they weren't showing a publishing date and the ISBN was coming up as invalid, so I had no way of knowing how old it was or if the site was current.

There's some on eBay as new as 2000. That may be 10-20 years newer than what he's using now. Big Grin

Posts: 21045 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
When travelling I used to stop at the visitor center of every state I entered and pick up a bunch of local (state) maps.

Im pretty sure they still give those out at most rest stop visitor centers near the borders.

I handed my 8 year old a road atlas the other day on a long car trip and they were really impressed. They kept quiet for a long time, flipping page to page, learning new town names and such.

As a kid I remember being fascinated with the road and world atlas.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat AAA. I became a member in 1974 for their maps in doing site surveys in CA and OR. You could get maps for individual counties.

Recently, I found out that the towing charges are half if you had to call a towing company on your own.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I love good maps! We bought a decent Rand Mcnally, sprial bound atlas back in 2014. We planned a 2 week driving trip to California and back (Illinois). Using the atlas helped us plan the route and pick out the less traditional places to visit.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Wait till you find an ancient road map. I started collecting them a while back, and find the 1920s road maps to be great. Used to be, you could find them at antique stores. I really liked the Colorado map that didn't have modern towns on it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Not easy to find good buggy whips nowadays either.

Just for grins, I googled "buggie whips for sale." Turns out they are pretty easy to find. Local maps are much harder.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Apparently the map business has gone the way of the Dodo. You can still buy a national road atlas, but more localized versions seem to be a thing of the past.......

This may be too detailed for him but I like county maps because they show practically all roads down to even small dirt ones. I'm not sure if you can find actual maps anymore but I've been laser printing them on 8" x 11" paper from State sites such as this from VA https://www.virginiadot.org/travel/county_maps.asp. It's a bit cumbersome I first have to highlight the actual map before enlarging it to save as a screen shot to print. I wish I had an 11" x 14"format printer. Laser printed copies are more resistant and I prefer them in black and white for this application.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7035 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I bought a paper map was around 2013 when I was in Canada for the first time and needed to plot a course from Michigan to New York.

It was nice because the map had some useful tips, like some of their unusual driving practices such as driving incredibly slowly on very nice quality roads.

I have a now outdated 50 state Rand McNally road atlas in my pickup, but no paper maps in the car or bike.

I try to not rely on any single electronic device, and tends to keep at minimum a hand held GPS available along with the smart phone.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I love maps just as things, and drove around with a giant Texas atlas for years. I miss them.

But for most people, and for most purposes, a GPS program on your phone is all you will need. This will cause people to lose the skill of being able to read maps. If there is an apocalypse, these people will be irretrievably lost. But, to repeat myself, that skill can be replaced by the app itself under all normal conditions.

It is the way it is, no matter how much we don't like it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post