SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can”t buy a stinking local road atlas.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can”t buy a stinking local road atlas. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hagstrom used to make them, spiral bound, laminated pages, books roughly the size of a news paper. (not fold up glove compartment maps lol) Things that would get daily use for decades.

They were close to $30 in the late 80's, early 90's, so no doubt they'd cost a bunch if they made them today. (just looked at old ones on Amazon.. retail was $40 for the 1998 edition. Eek So north or south of $60-70 wouldn't be a surprise if they still made them)

He's not looking to take a trip, he needs it to find customers addresses locally. Suburbia, lots of streets, lots of new streets since he last one was printed.

Speaking of updated maps, oddly enough, there's a street near my house, or was, that hasn't been there since the 60's, yet still shows up on some maps. ETA: just looked on Google maps and it's still there. I can remember as a kid how strange it was, like something out of a movie, a speed limit sign still standing in the woods where the road used to be.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Keymaps are still available...very detailed.

https://www.keymaps.com/

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Delorme

It can't be the detail and scale he's after. Their book of the whole state has fewer pages than the county specific map he's using now.

I guess he's tired of calling me to look things up on my phone when his map doesn't have it.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Are you from Preston County ridewv?

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Apparently the map business has gone the way of the Dodo. You can still buy a national road atlas, but more localized versions seem to be a thing of the past.......

This may be too detailed for him but I like county maps because they show practically all roads down to even small dirt ones. I'm not sure if you can find actual maps anymore but I've been laser printing them on 8" x 11" paper from State sites such as this from VA https://www.virginiadot.org/travel/county_maps.asp. It's a bit cumbersome I first have to highlight the actual map before enlarging it to save as a screen shot to print. I wish I had an 11" x 14"format printer. Laser printed copies are more resistant and I prefer them in black and white for this application.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I can see , pretty much anything you want is still available but you have to look for it . Maps used to be available everywhere . Gas stations , Drug stores , convenience stores , you name it . I remember going into the DOTD headquarters looking for a state map and the girl at the desk asked " How many do you want ? " She had a stack of them in her hand . I took a dozen of them and gave one to everybody I knew .

Posts: 4052 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:

I am Fire, just a mile or so from the PA line.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Try your local Chamber of Commerce I was looking for a local one forever and found some there

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Delorme

It can't be the detail and scale he's after. Their book of the whole state has fewer pages than the county specific map he's using now.

I guess he's tired of calling me to look things up on my phone when his map doesn't have it.

Definitely check out the Delorme Atlas & Gazeteer. I have used mine to get to really out of the way spots for fishing and hunting in NH and Maine. They do show all the roads. I was turned on to them buy a couple of friends who are Licensed Fishing Guides.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bet eBay has a few year old ones for sale, cheap.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I live in PA now, but was born in Kingwood and went to school at Bruceton.

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:

I am Fire, just a mile or so from the PA line.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I bet eBay has a few year old ones for sale, cheap.

Already got older ones. The newest older one there is, is almost 20 years old.

Got an email today from the company I ordered from. Telling me they've canceled my order and refunded my money, because it's out of print and they don't know when/if there will be a new version. As I suspected.

Tune into my next thread, why the F' do you sell things on you're website that you know you don't make!? Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post