SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fingerprint Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fingerprint Cards Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted
Those of you in the NFA game will probably understand. I have submitted five Form 1s this past year to make SBRs and one SBS. The first was a test run. I had the ATF send some free fingerprint cards, and had myself fingerprinted at the local PD to ensure it went through fine ($20). Kind of annoying, but no big deal, although I don't remember them charging when I made my 1st SBR 5 or 6 years ago.

Then I found out Silencershop (who already had my prints) would send me a completed set of cards for $15 shipped! What a deal. I ordered 6 (3 at first, to ensure they worked fine. Then 3 more.) and have two remaining. I was always planning to SBR a few more, and figured now would be a good time to start.

Well waddya know? Silencershop is now selling those same set of cards for $40 DOLLARS A SET! Mad
I'd sooner send my prints to a company I looked up a couple of months ago to make a digital set, so I'll never have to order another set for these purposes again. Cripes am I mad. I should have bought more at the end of December, but I was preoccupied.

I understand the demand is up due a certain agency's treasonous behavior. I am just venting.

My most recent stamp beneficiary:

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Order fingerprint cards for free from ATF's website and buy an ink pad off amazon for less than $10. I print myself with no issues. Been doing it for years. We have an EFT machine or whatever it's called at work but we're not allowed to use it for personal stuff.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Order fingerprint cards for free from ATF's website and buy an ink pad off amazon for less than $10. I print myself with no issues. Been doing it for years. We have an EFT machine or whatever it's called at work but we're not allowed to use it for personal stuff.

Yes. That, or getting the digital set I mentioned earlier, will be the way forward. I knew the silencershop cards were over priced, but I like silencershop, and it was convenient. No more. I still have a few sets of blank cards from the ATF, so I’ll try my luck with the ink pad.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Did the digital fingerprints, it's only done at specific locations, and you don't have to wipe your fingers clean after....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that both eForm 1 and 4 accept digital prints, I’m not even bothering with physical prints anymore. Even if you roll your own, mailing them in runs the risk of them never arriving. Yes, rolling your own is cheaper, but for the money spent on NFA items, I can afford a one time charge for digital prints that’s only a fraction of the price of a single tax stamp.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I can afford a one time charge for digital prints that’s only a fraction of the price of a single tax stamp.

Do .EFT files have date stamps?

Is there an expiration date for fingerprint cards, digital or ink?

As in, could you reuse the same .EFT over decades? Then what about ink prints, rolling them once then scanning and reprinting them as needed?

Does the ATF have a policy of "prints must have been taken within XYZ time frame"?

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Last month I looked it up and saw Midwest Silencers offers the service. Sounds like a no brainer, with the price hike.

I will research a little more and will probably try them out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I can afford a one time charge for digital prints that’s only a fraction of the price of a single tax stamp.

Do .EFT files have date stamps?

Is there an expiration date for fingerprint cards, digital or ink?

As in, could you reuse the same .EFT over decades? Then what about ink prints, rolling them once then scanning and reprinting them as needed?

Does the ATF have a policy of "prints must have been taken within XYZ time frame"?

I’ve never heard of an expiration date for fingerprints. Pictures expire after a year, but not prints. The ones that Silencer Shop have been sending for me are many years old.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I found out today that UPS stores, well some of them at least, will provide you with eft files of your prints. She asked if I had the QR Code for the agency the prints were for though? Not sure what that’s about. I’d like to figure it out, it’d be a lot more convenient for my customers.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
this all sounds kind of old school to me... it sure seems like once the BAFTE have a set of your prints they would not need multiple copies of them. Besides that, why not just have them digitized and then they are permanently there.

I'm pretty sure years ago when I went down to Florida and got an out of state permit.. they digitally did my prints....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I found out today that UPS stores, well some of them at least, will provide you with eft files of your prints. She asked if I had the QR Code for the agency the prints were for though? Not sure what that’s about. I’d like to figure it out, it’d be a lot more convenient for my customers.

I got my prints done yesterday via Printscan at a UPS store, and the only QR code they asked me for was the one on the confirmation email that they sent me. When you register online for the appointment, you tell them what it’s for, which in this case was for ATF. Presumably, that’s imbedded in the QR code in the email.

The email with the link to download the .EFT file came pretty quickly after using the kiosk.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
this all sounds kind of old school to me... it sure seems like once the BAFTE have a set of your prints they would not need multiple copies of them. Besides that, why not just have them digitized and then they are permanently there.

I'm pretty sure years ago when I went down to Florida and got an out of state permit.. they digitally did my prints....

FL has been doing digital prints for CWPs for years. Regarding the ATF, I don’t think they keep the prints after each submission. Maybe they aren’t allowed to, which is why they make you resubmit them every time.

Regarding SS jacking up the price of paper prints, I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t all due to the brace rule. Noted that recently SS has restarted offering Form 1 service, so wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t do that to push people to using them instead of submitting their own Form 1s.

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
EFT file email received (to the SPAM folder) last night, from Midwest Silencers. Will submit a F1 this evening to test it out.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m calling around and there is NOBODY who will provide me a digital copy of my fingerprints. Not Livescan (two different local places that do it), not UPS, not Ident2go. Fieldprint won’t even answer the fucking phone. This is absurd. I may just go ahead and get the free cards and an ink pad. Mad

They’re MY fingerprints! I fucking own them!!

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Cards are free, an ink pad is a few bucks, and rolling prints isn't rocket surgery. Get a couple extra cards just in case, and practice on some blank paper beforehand. It'll be easiest to do it on the edge of a table or counter to allow free space for the rest of your hand/arm/wrist; the edge of a taller bar/island/etc. could prove even better. Use only light-moderate pressure, and remember that you're rolling or "slapping" (depending on the section) so refrain from sliding/smearing. Use something heavy to hold down the top of the card so it doesn't move around on you.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Da hell is on that Glock?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Da hell is on that Glock?

B&T USW Chassis

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’m calling around and there is NOBODY who will provide me a digital copy of my fingerprints. Not Livescan (two different local places that do it), not UPS, not Ident2go. Fieldprint won’t even answer the fucking phone. This is absurd. I may just go ahead and get the free cards and an ink pad. Mad

They’re MY fingerprints! I fucking own them!!

Have the same issue here but no big deal really since the LGS prints for free.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPS does it for free here when you get a ccw permit.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post