SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Job Rant
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Job Rant Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
When your onetime ‘dream job’ turns into a nightmare after a management change. Culture shift, micromanaging, and literal unrealistic goals and expectations.

I go to sleep and wake up with a level of anxiety that I would not wish on anyone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Do we work for the same company? Makes me think of retirement sooner than anticipated.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there , done that . Retired early . No regrets .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I feel for you.
577 more days for me.

Getting ready to head to work now and not feeling it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m glad I’m not alone.

I went from a star performer to someone who feels like he is on the radar for termination for not drinking the new corporate Koolade. I’m getting to old too start over again, this is not good for my mental health.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Damn, this thread is timely. I’ve been not posting since June about the same damned thing.

I have a great job. Great salary. Great benefits. I’m an expert in my field with 15+ years of experience and my paralegal and I did a job nobody else in the office understands and few could accomplish without another attorney or two and at least one more paralegal.

I put in 50+ hours a week and was pretty much running 24/7, but I did it on my terms, which made it very doable for me.

Been there 6+ years through two administrations and three General Counsel.

New GC hired from outside in June is a textbook micromanager. Arrogant, aggressive, incapable. On top of that, she’s a liar. She has turned the entire office toxic and I can’t tell you how many attorneys and support staff are actively seeking an exit, including yours truly. Just waiting for the right opportunity.

Dammit, it was a great job and we all did our jobs very well. She managed to ruin it inside of a few weeks.

So yeah, I feel your pain, brother! Mad

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Been there, Done that.

The company I enjoyed working for closed down its operations. I found another job. But that turned into a hell hole and I was stuck there for about 8 years unable to get another job. My salary was excellent but I was putting in 12 to 14 hours first half of the month, then 14 to 18 hours second half of the month. I was also working from home every other weekend. I was a walking zombie.

This tell you how bad it was: they hired someone who used to work years ago in the same spot working with me. He said it was completely different from when he worked and he quit after a week. Another guy left after a month. He told me that he was a cancer survivor at an early age. That taught him life was not worth being in a place where we were. He felt so bad for me, he really worked to get me a job at a previous company.

I lost 30 pounds in a month at the beginning when I realized how shitty things were for me. I would grit my teeth during sleep. I would wake up at 4:30 am trudge to work then come back 10 pm.

After 8 years, I thought I found a job close to home, I've done the work before and thought it was a fresh start. The boss turned out to be going through dementia along with all the other bad aspects. He would give me different directions throughout the day to work on different projects. After six months, I finally quit.

Fortunately, it turned out I had enough saved that I was able not to have to work anymore.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that and have the trophies to prove it. Walking away was the best decision of my life as the stress would have killed me. I was fortunate to be financially able to take time away from work to rehab a shoulder and spend time with my family after a decade of extensive travel. I hope you find a way to make things better. Best of luck.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I was there, also. Retired six weeks ago and don't miss that stress.
I managed to hang in there until reaching my ful retirement age, but it was extremely difficult to do that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Oh do I know where you’re coming from. I had 13 years and for the first half it was the best place I’d ever worked. Last half was nuclear grade bullshit brought on by a CEO that wrecked the place from top to bottom. Blood pressure was 195/130 and I’d be dead if I had stayed. Took a $7/hour pay cut to go to a different place and it was worth every penny.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

How is it that the ones above never see that whoever made the hiring decision fucked up and things aren't right? They don't want to admit a mistake and would rather see the company fail?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People don't quit a company, they quit their boss.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been done that with a Sheriffs Office and the Medical Examiners Office.

The one that hurt the most was the Sheriffs Office in VA.

It went from a magnificent time and experience to one of dread, torture, anxiety and stress.

That one period of my life jaded me to this day and I carry a chip on my shoulder while serving at other LE agencies and the military.

I learned then and there that people will step/screw a person to get a head and not think twice about it.

Good Luck.
I hope you find a happy medium

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
BTDT
I went from a track record of significantly exceeds to "you are one of the reasons for our problems" in one year. That was concurrent with new leaders with great ideas that didn't work. I stayed because I was close to retirement. The company is now on the 3rd iteration of new leaders and things are pretty messed up. The current leaders firmly believe in the "here be the magic" box of a project plan.

I am retired so it was KMAG YOYO and out the door.

My advice? If you can, find another position. Once the cycle of new managers begins there will be a constant search for the "silver bullet" (aka the next brilliant leader) and each new leader will want their own team.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When I taught, it was a living nightmare.

I NEVER got a good review to keep me from advancing to leadership. Every incompetent new supervisor knew there was always someone gunning for their position.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prison system was like that. I had a cadre of officers that chose to work midnight to 8 with me, because the suits stayed away. My last two years were hellish on Days.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Been there, done that too.

I landed a dream job at a big company with a family business attitude. I was sure I would end my days there.

Long story short: There was a management coup. The new management were a bunch of soulless ghouls. I got out. A couple of months later, they had my entire department work from home one week while they “remodeled” the office. At the end of the week, a third of those folks got an email notifying them that they’d been terminated and not to come back.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:

I learned then and there that people will step/screw a person to get a head and not think twice about it.

That is the unfortunate truth.
Luckily I never experienced it.
Actually when I worked for a company my philosophy was always to support and make my supervisor look good.
Even when they did not necessarily deserve it.
I always found that those up even higher could sense it and it allowed me opportunities.
Maybe I was just lucky.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience- it will only get worse. Hold on until retirement, don't make it personal, and do the least you can

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It happened to me. Dream job turned into a nightmare. I thought for sure I would stroke out if I stayed in the job. I left at age 62, couldn't find a job in my field (environmental) so I started social security and got a job as a substitute teacher. I don't make enough money to get ahead, but I'm not falling behind. I think about this often and still think it was good decision to make.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post