SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Midway USA
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway USA Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Scooter123 you just convinced me. My post office is in Cook county. I wouldn’t ask the company to break the law so rant over. I thought I had good ground when I started. I stand corrected.

Posts: 899 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:

Get a PO Box with a deliverable zip code, may be a few miles out of the way but you get your product.
Even better, there is probably a location of The UPS Store in an "approved" zip code. An account there will solve a lot of problems. I am in a state with few restrictions, but I use The UPS Store to thwart Porch Pirates.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’ll have it delivered to my wife’s place of business. I can’t get out of this state until I retire so I’m stuck in a hole under this leftist crap. That one county ruins this entire state.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
My village is partly in Cook and partly in DuPage but it’s all the same zip code.
Iron Chef would you really decline a sale to an individual because they live in the next county over from one that has shitty laws?

Most likely yes, and for the same reasons Midway USA stated. It wouldn't be, b/c you're in the "next county over." It would be, b/c your address comes up on a "Not Legal" list. Unfortunately, these approved/no approved lists don't delineate beyond ZIP code.

A few dollars is not worth the risk of selling something to someone on the wrong side of a border. City borders change. Municipalities often annex other areas. City borders on maps are sometimes inaccurate.

The revised 4473 taking effect in Apr has a new question asking if you reside within your city's borders. I tried looking up my town's borders and couldn't find a definitive answer. The new question seems to serve the purpose of tricking 4473 applicants into checking the wrong box.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my state
I love my state
I love my state

posted Hide Post
I do sales tax returns in about 35 states. Sales tax software is detailed to each address for states like TX which has multiple & overlaping jurisdictions. I have to report in about 300 TX jurisdications. IL is almost as bad as I report sales in about 200 IL jurisdictions. I am sure Midway utilizes the detailed sales tax software. The problem for internet sales is small companies can not afford the software costs & zip codes is the best option. Also the same type of software for firearms & ammo would only be used by a small amount of internet sales companies & cost would be prohibitive.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if you found a delivery address "in the clear" I would speculate your CC billing address could also be an issue.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even better, there is probably a location of The UPS Store in an "approved" zip code. An account there will solve a lot of problems. I am in a state with few restrictions, but I use The UPS Store to thwart Porch Pirates.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Best suggestion.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is currently a lawsuit pending that has scared a number of retailers. A large online dealer located near me delivered an AR to a FFL located in a town adjacent to Highland Park. The FFL it was delivered to completed the transaction. The customer then did a mass shooting in Highland Park. I could be wrong on some of the details, but this is how I understand the case.

Last week I had a customer from Tennessee show me his ID and ask me if he could buy a rifle. I told him yes. As he was completing his paperwork, he told me several other dealers in town had refused to sell a rifle to him, and one cited the lawsuit as the reason.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Buds gun shop suit? I believe the father signed for the gun. The son then got the gun and did the shooting.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Buds gun shop suit? I believe the father signed for the gun. The son then got the gun and did the shooting.

Weren't ARs already banned in Highland Park before the shooting?

I'm so glad IL's new AR ban will end violence.

/end sarcasm/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that it is more work, more time, meaning more money in wages paid out. I can also understand someone who has worked their tail off to build a business and want to stay away from law suits. But I can send my FOID card number and order ammo. Verifying an address takes less time than a trip to the water cooler or a bathroom break. I’m more than happy to send in a copy of my FOID card but no county is listed on it. If they can spare the time to collect a FOID card, they can spare the time to look at an address.

It's not that; it's the database. It's going to be damn near impossible to differentiate addresses in a zip code that are not in cook county from addresses in the same zip code that are in cook county. And was if other counties within that zip code have different legislation as to what items can be brought in off the internet?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
M I can’t get out of this state until I retire so I’m stuck in a hole under this leftist crap. That one county ruins this entire state.

I feel you. I grew up in California.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

it's the database. It's going to be damn near impossible to differentiate addresses in a zip code that are not in cook county from addresses in the same zip code that are in cook county.
We have to deal with that in Florida.

Zip code 32703, and the city of Apopka, lie partially in Orange County, total sales tax 6.5%, and part of the same zip code and same city is in Seminole County, total sales tax 7%.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I went through this once with some company, wouldn't sell me something because they said I "lived near" another county that was on their no sales list. The fact that it was three counties away didn't matter. Smart.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
There is currently a lawsuit pending that has scared a number of retailers. A large online dealer located near me delivered an AR to a FFL located in a town adjacent to Highland Park. The FFL it was delivered to completed the transaction. The customer then did a mass shooting in Highland Park. I could be wrong on some of the details, but this is how I understand the case.

Last week I had a customer from Tennessee show me his ID and ask me if he could buy a rifle. I told him yes. As he was completing his paperwork, he told me several other dealers in town had refused to sell a rifle to him, and one cited the lawsuit as the reason.

Hmmmm, I always thought you could not purchase a firearm in a state other than your own in person???

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmm, I always thought you could not purchase a firearm in a state other than your own in person???

Believe you can buy it at the store, but not take delivery, have it shipped to your home FFL and do the 4473 there, not much different than calling and buying over the phone or online with the store.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Believe you can buy it at the store, but not take delivery, have it shipped to your home FFL and do the 4473 there, not much different than calling and buying over the phone or online with the store.

Pistol vs. long gun. I've purchased and taken delivery of several long guns in states other than where I reside.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I’ll have it delivered to my wife’s place of business. I can’t get out of this state until I retire so I’m stuck in a hole under this leftist crap. That one county ruins this entire state.

Lake Co ain't too far behind Crook!

I feel your pain! I'm deep behind enemy lines in Chicago.
I have a reason in the summer to head to Indiana a few times a week, I usually hit a gun shop or two in my travels. I need to order something, I'll send it to my friends house in Indiana too.

Fuck this city
Fuck this county
Fuck this state

I can't wait to leave!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Heck I can't buy magazines from Midway or any pistol with more than a 10 round capacity. And I can't get a P.O. Box where they would ship as the closest place I could do that would be Idaho (four hours drive).

Midway won't ship many items to Oregon due to Measure 114 passing even though it is currently on a stay due to a Circuit Court ruling in Harney County.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post