SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Description Writers for Alcohol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Description Writers for Alcohol Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
My wife drinks wine and I do on occasion and have always found the descriptions written for various wines entertaining.. but now that this has moved over to Whiskey ... I'm not so sure:

I gave my wife a 12 year old bottle of Tullamore D.E.W. for Christmas.... this is some very fine Irish Whiskey... and was reading the description yesterday morning.... here is what they paid someone to write about their whiskey:

"TASTING NOTES"

NOSE:
Early Spice Accompanied by Red Wine while a nice nuttiness follows. A light woody note is also evident, bringing to mind the 12 years spent in oak cast.

TASTE:
A deep Robust Taste with spice and linseed oil given a creamy body and powerful chocolate flavour. (yep, that's how they spelled it) Dried fruits and nuts accompany the chocolate, giving a veritable praline note to the taste.

FINISH:
The Finish is long and rich with some Citrus, Chocolate, Raisins and Marzipan all lingering."

Luckily they put this inside the box it came in because I would have never bought the whiskey if I thought it even tasted half like what they described. It's damn good stuff, but to me it taste like whiskey.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Tasting notes for all alcohol are ridiculous.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Tasting notes for all alcohol are ridiculous.

And pretentious.

And bullshit.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Flavour" is the way Europeans spell it, so that's normal. Tullamore is a good introduction to Irish whiskey. Might want to try Redbreast 12 year old cask strength pot still Irish if you want to see what a more flavorful whiskey is like (the cask strengh Redbreast is better than their regular 12 year old non-cask version, IMHO).

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
In my price range there are pretty much three types of whiskey:

1.Hmm

2.Wow

3. SOB Wow!

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same writers describe real estate. Great fixer upper, executive home wonderful neighborhood etc.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey Bourbon tasting note

"I tasted the bourbon. All of it.
Took an Uber to the liquor store.
BRB...."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43889 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the same writers also come up with the grandiose names for new housing subdivisions!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I've smoked several cigars with a nearly identical description.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I've smoked several cigars with a nearly identical description.

Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to do a double blind test with several "experts" and see if they could independently come up with descriptions even remotely close to each other.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do that with some fancier beer too but it's not nearly as long winded.
Agree that it's pretty much bullshit.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am at a bar, and see a new whiskey I have never tried, I pay the $6-$7 for a shot. Eliminates the guesswork and need to decipher absurd descriptions when its time to buy a nice bottle.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
And the same writers also come up with the grandiose names for new housing subdivisions!

"Morning Woode"

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12781 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It's probably all J. Peterman's fault... in that his whole marketing plan was writing descriptive narratives about the items he was selling. (Which both the item and narratives were pretty darn good) But this whole thing with wine and whiskey has gotten... just little out of hand. (Maybe we need a law passed to fix it?) If I wanted to taste chocolate I'd buy it, same for fruit and who wants mystery spices added to their bourbon or scotch or what ever.... I think it is all directed towards folks that have to have a sweet 'mixed up' drink and don't understand the pleasure of sipping a really good whisky straight.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have never tasted anything alcoholic that I thought tasted good. Same thing with cigars and cigarettes.

I realize this is heresy to some, but I also think Starbucks coffee tastes like sewage.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I completely agree, except that I have somewhat limited experience with the taste of sewage.

My long deceased grandmother used to say: "Beer tastes like urine smells".

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
If I am at a bar, and see a new whiskey I have never tried, I pay the $6-$7 for a shot. Eliminates the guesswork and need to decipher absurd descriptions when its time to buy a nice bottle.

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Never tried Tullimore but have been thinking about it, my standard is Bushmills. Also been thinking of trying some Black Bush.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:

"Morning Woode"

"Whispering Neighbors"

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One bottle of wine I had said to have a node of gooseberry.

You have to be kidding. Gooseberry! How about taste like fruit. Strawberry, orange, raspberry etc. but gooseberry!!

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post