SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS - how hard is it to ship a small package 100 miles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS - how hard is it to ship a small package 100 miles? Login/Join 
posted
I ordered a gift on 12/13. It ships from Chico, CA - about 90 miles from me.

On 12/14, it arrives in Sacramento at 2:43am, about 25 miles from my house. Great.

I should get it 12/15 or 12/16, right?

On 12/18, magically it's in Gary freakin' Indiana! Over 2000 miles away? WTH?

I'm at a loss for words. What happens in the main processing facility in west Sacramento that decides to ship my package to Gary freakin' Indiana instead of 20 miles away to the Roseville processing center?

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I had ordered something from Bolder, Colorado. It went to Denver, CO. And then to San Diego, CA. Then to Chicago; to Indianapolis; finally to my hometown, and then I received it.

It’s the USPS; it’s what they do.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had an online vendor not disclose they were drop shipping from China instead of East Coast. The package made it from China to San Fran to Houston USPS processing (~10 miles from my house) in 4 days. Very reasonable.

Then, the USPS roller coaster began and each step below is 1 to 2 days. Houston --> dyslexic version of my zip code which is about 90 miles away --> Houston --> correct zip code post office --> Houston --> correct zip code post office --> Houston --> Chicago --> China.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23092 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, I got a small box via USPS in two days when shipped from Abilene to Houston. That is about 400 miles.

So, you never know.

Lately, for me it is USPS and UPS that are reliable. Fed Ex Ground is slow as hell.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Fed Ex Ground is slow as hell.

In my area, Ground is slow because the facility doesn't have the manpower to unload trucks. So the tractor trailers arrive, unhitch, and take off. It can take 2-4 days for the trailer to be unloaded.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been having issues with ALL three in addition to the vendor. Here is a snippet of what the vendor sent:

Thank you for your reply. It is our honor to serve you.

We are deeply sorry for keeping you waiting.

Here is the good news for you:

We have changed the Carrier for you and the package has been shipped to you.
Please check the logistics of the package on the Fedex logistics website.

Please wait for a few more days patiently.

Any inconvenience wishes for your understanding.

If you need any other help, please feel free to contact us.

Best wishes.

I am guessing Chinese English. BTW still waiting.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The last two USPS stops before it goes out for delivery on my route are the Regional Destination Facility, then the local carrier annex.

I don't know how they manage it, but, occasionally, it will arrive at the regional facility, then the carrier annex, then get sent back to the regional facility, then the carrier annex again.

Then there was the FedEx Ground package, a few months back, that got w/in about twenty miles of me, then got routed back in the opposite direction several hundred miles away. That has only happened with them the one time, so far.

I've so far not had UPS pull a similar stunt--knock on wood.

DHL has several times somehow managed to get packages all the way from Hong Kong, to my door, in two days.

USPS, in my personal experience, mis-routes more packages, more often, than all others combined.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
This morning I checked the USPS 'Informed Delivery' (haha), it stated I had two packages 'out for delivery'. At 1210 my mailman updated the tracking to say 'delivered in/at customer's mailbox'. I hop into my truck and zoom down the driveway. Get there to find, not two, but one package in my mailbox. I check around to see if it fell out, but no trace.

Go home and check again. Yep, two packages delivered. Check mail, no, just one. Tracking is worthless, since it is marked 'delivered'. File a missing mail report online. 30 minutes later, the Postmaster is on the phone apologizing and promising to check with the carrier in the morning.

My bet is he/she stuck it in the wrong box, but we shall see.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I order stuff from an outfit in Finland (Varusteleka) that ships via DHL. My orders have arrived in 7 days. Pretty good, compared to domestic shippers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I still have one saying it was processed through Atlanta on the 16th.

USPS are incompetent at best.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USPS is a joke and getting worse every day. Wife ordered a package and it showed that it arrived in the local hub (15 miles away) and after 4 days she called to depot. They said that it was part of a bulk shipment the supplier sent out and it never actually shipped. She called the vendor and explained what USPS told her. They said no problem, re-shipped the item and it arrived in 2 days. 2 days later the original package arrived. Wife called the vendor back and they told her to keep both packages with no charge for the replacement.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered some parts from Giraud. They got them out quickly via priority mail. Destination was central Nebraska. 1st stop was Kansas City - so far so good. With a mere 5 day layover there the package went to Atlanata and after three days there it took a detour to Birmingham, Ala. Another 3 day rest there and finally in Omaha, NE. Apparently there for another 2 days with no update on shipping to me. Good thing it was priority 3 day mail. BTW - a third degree piece of mail arrived from Florida in 2 days..This has happened to me at lest three times in the past 6 months....Stunning service for the price!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
If I see that I have a package that has wound up in the Twin Cities, I can figure on at least two days before it makes it out of there. The "Cities" are about 5 hours from where I live in SoDak, but they have to bounce it around between two or three hubs in the Twin Cities area before it finally gets out of there.

The other day I had a package delivered by Amazon. I had checked the shipping status and found that it had been delivered, along with a picture of it in the snow by the mailbox. My mailbox is a ways off and barely visible from my house and I have the only house on that mile. Apparently the driver was too lazy to drive up the driveway. Somebody could have driven by, saw the package and made off with it and no one would have been the wiser.

It would appear that as long as they can show it was delivered, they could care less what happens to it after that.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have pretty good luck with USPS here. I've order stuff from various places around the lower 48 and had it arrive in 2 days. UPS does pretty well too, quite reliable. FedEx, on the other hand, sucks. FedEx Ground, specifically. I get a shipment of dog food every three weeks. Comes from Arizona. Typically it takes a day and a half to get from Arizona to the FedEx hub in east Portland. From there it's a crap shoot. The last one was relatively fast, it only took them three days to get it the ~35 miles from the hub to my place. Other times it's taken as much as 2 weeks to do the same 35 miles.

Any more, when I'm shopping online I look for vendors that use UPS or USPS rather than FedEx, even if it costs a little more.

Posts: 7242 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I order stuff from an outfit in Finland (Varusteleka) that ships via DHL. My orders have arrived in 7 days. Pretty good, compared to domestic shippers.

I have had a few sent from Europe via DHL. They do a good job. Japan Post is also good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how I have a two day package that has been sitting in the main Atlanta hub for 5 days now with a package delayed indicator.

Fucking unions should be illegal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I’ve had stuff from Singapore arrive quicker than things shipped to me from my own damned state!

I agree with JHE888 100%, in my recent experience shipping A LOT of things internationally and domestically DHL is the absolute best. Not only are they typically blazing fast but they allow you to track your package real time without ANY HOOPS to jump through or having to log in and set up an account with the shipping company.

DHL is awesome. I love being able to easily track the delivery truck and see how many stops are ahead of mine. The ease of using their website and the benefits it offers is unrivaled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21056 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent a priority mail envelope from PA to Bozeman, MT and it sat in the Philadelphia distribution center for several weeks before eventually making it to Bozeman. The USPS has become a joke especially now that they're committed to providing substandard service.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

After four days of R&R in Gary, it's on its way!

"Your item departed our USPS facility in INDIANAPOLIS IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX on December 22, 2021 at 3:04 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

If I had to guess, it's going back to Chico, CA for the seller to reship. Just a guess.

P229

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't even bother using the USPS any more.
UPS is only a few dollars more anyway. I'll pay an extra $4 any day of the week to avoid dealing with the headache that is the USPS.

I've ordered from MidwayUSA (an hour drive from here) and it's taken weeks for the Priority Mail package to arrive. Priority... heh

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post