Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires Login/Join 
posted
17 year old Granddaughter just left. She gets to drive her Mom's 2019 Sonata. One tire is damaged and loses air. Supposedly, can't be patched. The procedure is when the low tire light comes on, get the 12vdc pump out and air up the tire until it goes out. Every day or two before school. Tires were rotated and it is now on the front drives side. car has 35 K on it. I checked the pressure before she left. Most were within 2 lbs of the recommended 33psi. Front leaky tire was 54 psi. Filled two days ago. Tire max 51 psi. I passed my concerns but I doubt anything will change. Nice to have a newer car to drive, but doesn't seem all that safe to me.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no...

Nobody in there right mind, with any mechanical knowledge, would let their daughter drive a vehicle with a problematic tire issue! Mad

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grumpy response: "So here's the deal, Grandkid. You come over and do 10 hours of work and I'll buy you a new tire. It's better than a blowout, a new wheel after that hits the pavement, and bodywork from the whipping shreds of tire."

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it’s not a rim leak? Pretty common today. Tire needs to be dismounted and the bead area of the rim sanded clean and sealed before remounting the tire. We do it multiple times daily at our shop.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Or you could proper flatten it, and force the issue.

A front tire blowout at highway speeds isn’t recoverable, especially for a 17 year old. $150 for a new tire, or $300 for two, is much cheaper than the alternative.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were her car, I would get her a couple tires. It's Mom's car and she has other priorities for the wages she makes working 3 days a week at Wally World.
It very well could be the rim. It looked damaged.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Does it look anything like this?

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Constant use of a underinflated tire could possibly cause internal structure damage that could cause catastrophic and sudden failure without notice. To keep the grandaughter safe I would take some type of action. ............................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
The procedure is when the low tire light comes on, get the 12vdc pump out and air up the tire until it goes out.

Front leaky tire was 54 psi. Filled two days ago. Tire max 51 psi.

Someone needs a lesson on tire inflation, use of a tire gauge, and explanation of how the vehicle's built in tire pressure sensors work.

Tough spot to be in, but if you can't get through to her, the problem is going to take care of itself. Working at Walmart, does your daughter not get some sort of employee discount for tires?

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think if you have the financial wherewithal, you probably ought to buy a tire to keep the kid (and her idiot mother) safe.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
At minimum maybe you can show her to use a tire gauge. Aside from the other obvious issues, one front tire with nearly double the pressure of the other is going to be squirelly.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Shouldn’t be hard to evaluate by a shop, there’s the answer.

If needed buy one used tire in fine shape, better than a slow leak with a bad tire.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yep, if the tire truly can't be plugged or patched, buy her a good tire...even if it's used.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
You really need to address this, it isn't safe. Go with her to a good shop and have them tell you what the problem is, then get it fixed.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not my daughter so I really can't take the car and fix it. Mom is just lazy.
I messaged the girl with links to tires and a note that it is probably the rim. It won't get fixed.
I have to accept the fact that people don't have my value system and that is just the way it is. Their life will be a trainwreck (like the parents). I can only watch or not

posted Hide Post
Granddaughter put the pump on before school (in the dark). Went back into the house. When she came back out, pump was so hot it burned her hands (her words). I didn't think those pumps pumped that high. It was probably over 60 psi in that tire.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I see plenty of vehicles on the side of the road, this car may be there too.

If real bad, may be better to put the spare on. If around town, that little donut is ok for a while.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The philosophy is not to worry about things until they happen. Saves much worry

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I see plenty of vehicles on the side of the road, this car may be there too.

If real bad, may be better to put the spare on. If around town, that little donut is ok for a while.

Hyundai stopped including spares…they give you thrir branded air compressor and some fixaflat.

I still say pull the valvestem. Make them get a new tire before that one blows up at 70+ mph and the Sonata rolls off the interstate.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Was it checked at a shop? I assume so if you say it can't be patched. Only thing that would cause that is a hole too close to the sidewall. Usually leaks like that get progressively worse. Hopefully this will happen without a blowout.

Unfortunately those tire pressure lights are slow to respond and that is why they are overfilling it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post