New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately those tire pressure lights are slow to respond and that is why they are overfilling it.

On my cars, you have to drive the car to turn the sensors on.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely a scary situation.
Underinflated more likely to have a blowout than over, IIRC.
Large differential in pressure L<>R could cause some wonky handling.

Just put tires (Yokohama YK740 GTX) on my car over the weekend. Averaged to a bit over $200/tire Eek after taxes & fees, but the fronts (Michelin Defender with a 90k mile warranty, tires only had 40k on them) were down to the wear bars.
One of the rears was in great shape, so they dismounted it & put it in the trunk. Good to have a hot spare in the event of an unrepairable puncture.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Someone is going to have to buy a tire or tires for the car to make it safe. Eventually the tire may fail and force this issue.

If nobody (mom, daughter) involved has any money to do that and you want them safe, you're the lucky winner.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Priorities. Wife always say that people have money for the necessities, but choose not to buy them. I can't put tires on a car I don't own. Hence the rant.
Part of what is happening ( I would bet) is they are 50k tires with 35k on them. I expect she will milk this as long as possible.
I sent web links to local tire shop with tire in stock.
Message the Granddaughter and asked het not to killify herself. Maybe they cast a protective spell on the car as they are into that religion

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a Hyundai Veloster that came with no spare. The salesman said it was because the roadside assistance that came with the car was so good. Well, back in 2015 I blew out a tire on a pothole in Exton PA. Called their excellent roadside assistance. They still haven't arrived.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My high school girlfriend drove her parents car and they would do no vehicle maintenance. None. Tires were slicks. Brakes were screeching. Wheel bearing roared and in need of replacement. Oil never changed. Just topped up when the low oil light came on.

Once while driving behind her, I saw her slide off a highway in the rain at 70 mph.

I offered to buy new tires (used, $80) and the dad got mad and said he would kick my ass if I put new tires on HIS car.

His own daughters life wasn't even worth the $80 cost of a set of used tires. Sad.

Some people are just idiots.

I found out later why they did no vehicle maintenance. The guy would buy a new car at a dealer, make the first payment, and then never make another car payment again. They would park the car in the garage so it could never get repo'd. His thought process was once the engine blew up he would buy another car, make one payment, and then have a free car again until it got repossed or the engine blew up.

They were HUGE, and I mean HUGE, Obama supporters. Surprised?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post