SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    320 Slide Catch Question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320 Slide Catch Question? Login/Join 
posted
Old school 1911 shooter with thumb on thumb type on the safety.
Recently switched to a P320 Legion (1911 since the 1960's).Can't believe I made the switch to striker fire but for the better.

Now, my question sometimes my thumb hits the Slide Catch and will lock it open. I changed my thumb position somewhat but it still happens.

Any suggestions? Maybe trimming the catch somewhat?

Thanks for reading!

Posts: 85 | Location: NW of Tampa Fl | Registered: August 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SDlocal
posted Hide Post
I have same problem but I know it’s my grip. The catch is very sensitive. I think an extra power slide catch spring would be helpful but I don’t think they are made.

San Diego Local
Grayguns Full House Custom Commander
STI Trojan .45
Nighthawk Talon

By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

Posts: 128 | Location: San Diego | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
According to one site, there is a “low profile” P320 slide catch lever available that may help.

https://www.sigsauerparts.com/...ganese-phosphate-208

This site lists the part, but doesn’t characterize it as low profile, so it might be necessary to confirm that.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...wi/prod/1301763-04-r

The SIG site lists one as well, but without showing the parts number (that I can find).

https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-...ly-kit-9-40-357.html

The guidance I’ve seen is that it’s really necessary to reeducate oneself and break the habit of touching the SCL with one’s thumb. One suggestion is to tape something like a BB or other small ball onto the rear knuckle of the support side thumb and then become accustomed to placing the shooting side thumb on top of the BB. Until it becomes a habit, it’s a very tactile reminder and confirmation that the thumb has been moved out and away from the SCL.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and replies. Was thinking about cutting the stock one a little but since I can order them - I will today.

Posts: 85 | Location: NW of Tampa Fl | Registered: August 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, might be able to reshape it with a Dremel/file. I reshaped my P239 SSL for the same reason. Wasn't about to change my thumb position for one pistol out of many. Good Luck.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nipper! I just ordered two. Figured it would take me longer reshaping them. Along with a little finish touch up.