SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Problems with new P365 10 rd mags. MORE PICS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with new P365 10 rd mags. MORE PICS Login/Join 
posted
Just bought a brand new basic P365 with two 10 rd mags. As usual, the mags would not take the tenth round when I first loaded them so I put in 9 rds and let them sit for a few days. When I went to remove the rounds, the followers came up about half way with the top few rounds and then stuck half way. The remaining rounds simply fell out when I held the mags upside down. When I went to push on one of the followers to get it unstuck, it came flying up and overrode the mag lips and is now stuck half in and half out. The other follower came back up to its normal position after I poked it with a stick. Obviously they're going back to Sig but has anyone else had issues with the newer P365 mags? I've had several previous P365's but mostly with 12 rd mags and never a problem.

Update: I disassembled the one good mag and could not find any burrs or other issues with the inside of the metal shell/tube. I then reloaded the mag and it took the full ten rounds with some difficulty. As I started to manually empty the mag, the follower stuck after the seventh round leaving three rounds loose inside. Again I simply removed them by turning the mag upside down. What I then found was that the front left corner of the follower (the short shelf that engages the slide release lever) had poked itself into the mag release hole on the left side. It filled the hole perfectly. Pushing in on the plastic that filled the hole then released the follower to go all the way back to the top. Not sure if this is a design flaw or something else like maybe the springs are in wrong or something like that. I've written to Sig so I'll find out when they deal with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: les45,

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I have the 10-rounders, 12-rounders and 15-rounders. Never and issue like what you described. Not a design flaw. Sounds to me more like some bad batch made it passed QC.

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Update: Sig CS emails me back and says that it is a known problem but they don't have a fix. The front left corner of the follower that pushes on the slide release lever catches in the mag release hole on the left side and jams the follower part way. She says all their mags are like that so she would not replace my problem mags. When I asked her about the one with the follower stuck in the lips, she said she "could swap it out as a one time courtesy". Well that pissed me off enough to write a formal letter to the Sig CEO. Probably won't do any good but it made me feel better. Going back to my Shield Plus and selling the P365. I will not keep a gun that fails on me for defensive carry.

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That problem you described is that for all ten round magazines or the one that you have pictured the "Extended 10 round version" just curious

Posts: 6 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ORSigshooter:
That problem you described is that for all ten round magazines or the one that you have pictured the "Extended 10 round version" just curious

The problem I had was with both the flat base and the extended base. The extended base is just a pinky rest and the internals are the same as the flat base. The CS lady didn't differentiate; she just said that the problem was common to all of the P365 10 rd mags so she wouldn't swap new ones for mine.

posted Hide Post
I'll try to explain what I think the problem is. In the pic below you can see that the mag release hole in the P365 is much larger compared to several other 9mm mags. Also, the ledge on the follower that pushes up on the slide catch is smaller (it will fit into the mag release hole) while the same area on the other mags is much larger and couldn't possibly fit in the much smaller slide release holes in those mags. My real concern is that this could happen while shooting the gun since the mag release fills the hole on the right side of the mag when it is inserted but does not fill the left side hole where this follower ledge can penetrate and hang up. Another factor is the fact that the mag spring is smaller near the top and is not centered. I believe that could cause some eccentric loading on the follower which could push it toward the holes. An internet search of this issue found many people having trouble loading the mag because of this hangup and some even had problems while shooting. Also found that the USA marked mags are probably made by Checkmate which makes some really bad stuff for the military Beretta M9.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: les45,

posted Hide Post
ANOTHER UPDATE: Got a call from CS today in response to my nasty letter to the CEO. However, instead of discussing the main problem of the followers sticking, all he wanted to talk about was how to make the mags take the full 10 rds (which I had already done). When I mentioned the previous offensive statement from CS saying they "would swap mags as a one time courtesy" he just skipped right past it and kept talking about how to get all 10 rds loaded like that was the only issue Bottom line was he offered to send me a free 12 rounder for my trouble which I will package with the gun and sell it off as the 12 rounders have the same design problem as the 10 rounders which I would never trust.

posted Hide Post
FINAL UPDATE: Received the 12 round mag today and found it to be a PITA to get the adapter sleeve floor plate on. Took at least 20 minutes of struggle contrary to the what the guy did in the You Tube video. After finally getting it on, the follower was so stiff that I couldn't get the first round in by hand and when I inserted the empty mag in the gun I couldn't get the slide latch to release even by pulling back on the slide. Finally had to take the mag apart and buff the sides of the follower and lube the inside. After that, the only good thing was that I was finally able to get all 12 rounds in the first time and I could release the slide latch to load it. Also, the follower did not stick during unloading like the problem I had with the 10 rounders. I noted that the mag is Made in USA which means it is probably another Checkmate issue (I've had nothing but problems with my Beretta mags by Checkmate). I've had P365's before but always with MecGar mags and never a problem. Nuff said. THE END

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by les45:
<snip> I've had P365's before but always with MecGar mags and never a problem. <snip>

It doesn't appear that Mec-Gar makes magazines for the P365. It appears your only option is genuine Sig Sauer brand magazines.

https://mec-gar.com/product-ca...magazines/sig-sauer/

(edited for typo)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phoenix.82,

"Integrity - Not Popularity"

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 11, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix.82:

It doesn't appear that Mec-Gar makes magazines for the P365. It appears your only option is genuine Sig Sauer brand magazines.

True, Mec Gar doesn't currently make mags for the P365 but they did for the earlier models. I distinctly remember having them on a Tacpac that I bought several years ago. They had the nice bright shiny finish unlike the current USA stuff. Here is a link to a previous post that kind of says the same thing:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/3700021284

posted Hide Post
Found this pic in a local Armslist ad. Shows Mec Gar and USA mags in the same box.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have made in Italy and Made in USA mags for my P365 and P320. I will always use the Italy mags for serious purposes, over the made in USA mags.

I believe if you put a small chamfer in the follower where it is catching with a file or Dremel, this problem is likely to not reoccur. And the slide stop should still work too.

Yes Sig should put out a product that works, but sometimes a little "gunsmithing" is in order.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post